Forums Horror Movie Talk
David Gordon Green Dishes On His Much Desired SUSPIRIA Remake

David Gordon Green is the next director in line to send this beloved genre of ours into an uproar by remaking one of the most sacred horror movies of all time.

For years, Green has been trying to get a modern-day telling of the Dario Argento masterpiece Suspiria off the ground, but due to prior commitments this project hasremained on the back burner. But now, according to Matt Barone of Complex.com, he's now ready to devote a sufficient amount of time to the upcoming project.

Green (pictured below) stressed the importance of securing the right's to use Goblin’s original muc,

"I can't imagine—any veron of that movie not having that Goblin score," said Green. "I want it to evolve . I want to start it at exactly that same place, and take that symphony of synthezers and evolve it to the opera veron. I love the idea of getting someone like John Adams to come and compose the symphony veron of it for the ending, something that’s out of left field but is truly just a blossom of the seeds that Goblin planted."

Originally Green had a different vion for the remake with Natalie Portman in mind, but after viewing Black Swan he now credits the film for his visual change in direction.

"Well, I want to go younger now. I want this to be about 14, 15-year-old girls, rather than women who are Natalie's age." It made not want to do what Black Swan kind of did with the psychology and thriller elements of older characters. If anything, I want to focus on the younger, more naïve kinds of characters—the wide-eyed, Snow White veron of the movie, rather than a more sophisticated, sexual veron of it."

Green admits

"I have to keep as much of that hardcore edge as posble, otherwise, why do it?" "That opening scene is amazing, and for my script I’ve pretty much kept the same structure."

Green also added a little bit of assurance to all of us horror die-hards, making us aware that he has ever intention of making a great film. " You make what you're pasonate about; you make what challenges you." Green added," I want to challenge myself." "I feel exactly like all horror fanatics do—when a bad remake comes out, I think it’s the worst thing in the world. But there are good ones. I thought that I Spit On Your Grave remake was really good recently; I thought The Hills Have Eyes remake was fucking amazing. There have been a few guys who have nailed it. Even Piranha—I thought that one was a lot of fun."

Source: Complex
Anonymous Wednesday 9/07/2011 at 12:41 AM | 82256
The original Suspiria is definitely one of my favorite horror movies of all time, and I got really angry when I heard they might remake it. I decided to check out this interview to see just how bad they were going to screw this up. I mean, the original was near perfect. Sure, the dialogue was VERY bad at times, but this is one of the few movies that genuinely scared me! With its nightmarish, surreal scenes and a score by Goblin that haunts me to this day, I loved it!

So yeah, I was nerd-raging when I heard about this. So I checked it out, and now I'm very excited if this is released with Green's true vion made into reality! The minute I heard he was trying his hardest to get the rights to the original Goblin soundtrack and tweak it around, I instantly knew this was the guy for the job. I also adored how he's staying true to Dario Argento's original vion, which was to make all the girls at the ballet school much younger (ages approx. 11-15). They ended up being about twenty or so, and I was always fascinated with the thought of girls those ages dealing with the horror of...Suspiria.

I also appreciated how he envioned making this remake. he didn't say something that would turn me off like "This is going to have the raw power of the Black Christmas remake." No, he said that he was going to try his hardest, and make it posbly the best remake out there, along with Piranha and The Hills Have Eyes remakes. Way to pick the right director to remake something, Hollywood! You finally did something right.
ObscureCinema101 Thursday 9/08/2011 at 12:17 AM | 82306