Forums Horror Movie Talk
More Halloween 3D News: Todd Farmer Dishes Out His Thoughts On All The H3D Rumors

Yesterday we speculated that writer Todd Farmer was no longer going to be involved in the Halloween 3D film which is do out next October because of the decion made by the studio to turn H3D into a found footage style film, something that Farmer was totally against.

Now today some more light has been shed on this subject as Farmer sat down with Bloody-Disgusting to answer a few questions regarding the rating of H3D, rumors of a posble found footage film and his current involvement.

One question that's been circulating for a month or so involves the rating of Halloween 3D. It's been heavily suggested that H3D will rated PG-13 - this is what Farmer had to say when asked about the subject.

"I know PG-13's always discussed...and it seems DIFFICULT to do 'Halloween' as PG-13. What we wrote was definitely not PG-13. Probably the biggest change is that nce so much time has gone by, is that I don’t think a sequel to Rob’s 'Halloween II' would still play, so I’m not sure that our original script would work. We literally started ours five minutes before Rob’s movie ended. So much time has gone by... there have been other things discussed, other ways to tell that story. "

Farmer also offered his thoughts on the idea of filming Halloween in 3D, "We had some "Comin at ya!" stuff written into it, but it could be done 2D. I think 'My Bloody Valentine' and 'Drive Angry' both play great in 2D perfectly well. I don’t know what THEY’RE thinking, but if I was the boss, I wouldn't do it in 3D at this point. I think 'Final Destination' is a perfect movie to do in 3D, I don’t know if 'Halloween' is."

The talented writer then responded to the recent rumors suggesting that H3D is now going to be shot as a found footage film,

"There's another slasher franchise that's discusng found footage, I think that's the one he was talking about , not 'Halloween'. But again, if they're no longer following Rob's movie, then what DO you do? So I know found footage was brought up as an idea, but there were a bunch of things that were mentioned. I know I'm not a fan of doing Michael Myers with found footage, but that’s just me. I like found footage when I can go in and believe that it's posbly real, like 'Paranormal Activity' or even 'Blair Witch'. With Freddy or Michael or Jason, it seems harder to me – I know those guys aren’t real. Doesn't mean it can’t be scary movie or even done well, if the right guy comes in with the right idea it could work."

Finally when asked about the original story line for Halloween 3D which was suppose to continue from Zombie's theatrical ending, Farmer gave us a nice taste of what was initially intended.

"Bacally we opened at the end of Rob’s movie; the whole first act is the end of Rob’s movie, at the end of which Michael is killed. But instead of Scout stabbing Michael... Rob had these vions and things, so we had it so that she thinks she’s killing Michael, but it’s a vion and she’s actually been stabbing Loomis. And then Michael puts the mask on her and she stumbles outde (as we see in the theatrical veron of 'Halloween II'), and then when she takes the mask off that’s when we’d switch to 3D. It would be flat until then. Anyway, Laurie survives and is taken to a mental institution, and then Michael returns, but it’s not Rob’s Michael that returns, it’s the Shape – he stalks, he gets the original white mask back, and the coveralls. So it’s still in Rob’s world, but with the Carpenter veron of Michael. And of course we had a great role for Tom Atkins; he’d be playing the doctor of the hospital. And the whole time the TV in the rec room would be playing the lver Shamrock theme, and at one point Atkins would walk by and yell (Farmer switches to a damn good Atkins impreson) “Turn that shit off!” And I’d keep my pants on this time. Also, there was never anyone cast. Our intention was to bring his cast back, but it never got that far. Scout may have seen an outline, but no one was ever in negotiations, I’m certain no one was officially attached."

So if you add everything up, what does it all mean. Is there really going to be a found footage Halloween 3 coming out in October, and will Todd Farmer still be attached to this project if he doesn't conform? Unfortunately It's starting to look more and more like it this may all be true. Stay tuned for more updates as this soap opera unfolds even further.

Source: Bloody-Disgusting
Anonymous Wednesday 9/07/2011 at 08:06 PM | 82288
Hmmm, if you add it all up, it's still the first time in 30 years that I have NOT looked forward to Halloween sequel. Just leave well enough alone... (IMHO anyway...)
strangerathome Wednesday 9/07/2011 at 08:36 PM | 82289
well looks like tod farmer had a good script and was going to bring justice to the halloween fans.....Its clear that the weinsteins are all abt the almighty doller then pleaseing the true fans....
chardy Wednesday 9/07/2011 at 08:36 PM | 82290
@Chardy

It certainly looks that way for the Weinsteins. I guess their feelings are - a found footage film would be rather cheap to make, and judging by movies such as PA and the Blair Witch a nice profit could be turned.
Anonymous Wednesday 9/07/2011 at 08:42 PM | 82291
What a few days this has been for HALLOWEEN 3D news. I am sorry but this is starting to sound like a train wreck. However I can totally see them going with a "found footage" style and rating it PG-13. If you think about it, the "found footage" genre is probably one of the eaer segments to create a PG-13 horror film. With all of the camera movement and delays I can see them cutting away when anything gruesome is about to happen. Is it a good idea? I don't usually enjoy PG-13 horror except for the rare occaon and certainly not with the beloved HALLOWEEN franchise so I don't want to see it. Will they pull it off? I bet they try....
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 9/07/2011 at 09:48 PM | 82297
Farmer's film sounds like it would have been a legitimate treatment. Whatever the Weinstein's make, Im sure it'll suck. Once all this is over, I'd love to get my hands on a copy of Farmer's script.
creephouse Thursday 9/08/2011 at 12:18 AM | 82307
You know, there is a limit to what can be shown for a PG-13 rating, but nowadays, ratings seem rather lenient. A PG-13 rating doesn't have to mean less stabbing, it could be something such as less nudity instead. Yeah, an R-rating seems appropriate going with the pattern of the rest of the franchise, but a PG-13 could be pulled off if done right.

Hopefully

dk714 Thursday 9/08/2011 at 12:23 AM | 82308