Forums Horror Movie Talk
Halloween or F13 : Which Franchise Do You Think Would Work Best As A Found Footage Film?

With all the found footage talk the last few days involving two of the greatest all-time slashers ever. We thought that it would be fitting to ask your opinion on which franchise you think would be able to pull off this style of filmmaking the best.

Both franchises would have their pros and cons, but we feel that Friday the 13th would be able to utilize this style the best, bacally because of the back history and the setting. The plot would be mply involve a group of kids who head to Camp Crystal Lake in search of the legend of Jason or something along those lines. Obviously they would be equip with a camera(s) to document their quest.

Halloween on the other hand may be a little harder to pull-off, a storyline milar to H20 would probably have to be used. But if done properly it could posbly pay-off. The only other idea we could come up with would be to use the setting of a psychiatric hospital because their usually stocked heavily with security cameras. The plot would involve Michael's escape and all those unfortunate people who stood in his way which would all be documented on the security tapes.

So what do you guys think? Halloween? Friday the 13th? Which would work best, and why?

Imagine seeing the above image through the eyepiece of your camcorder - that would be some pretty scary shit!!!
Anonymous Saturday 9/10/2011 at 03:57 AM | 82401
Friday the 13th I think.

Just imagine Blair Witch Project, but good and with an actual, tangible antagonist.

Could be really cool if they do it right.
TrickOrTreater Saturday 9/10/2011 at 04:02 AM | 82402
I would like neither to get the treatment but Halloween Ressurection was a semi-found footage film and it sucked after the first 10 minutes. I guess if I had to choose, I would agree that Friday would work better for a found footage film because Friday films are supposed to be gory, fun and the franchise has used its fair share of gimmicks already so overall found footage would work a lot better for Jason.
Sephit Saturday 9/10/2011 at 04:18 AM | 82403
I think I'm with TrickOrTreater on this one. F13 could definitely play on the Blair Witch sort of vibe, with the 'found footage' being something discovered left behind by another set of doomed campers. While it wouldn't be breaking any new ground, it would be the eaest material to work with.

That being said, Halloween could perhaps be workable, but in an entirely different way. Rather than one stretch of a ngle filming, or even from a ngle source, it could be interesting to play it off as a pastiche of many different sources. Couple news reports with supposed cell phone videos and digital recorders from bystanders or the main characters, tracking the movements of Meyers through one town over one night. It would be different enough to make it stand out and might be a little more interesting to viewers.
dew Saturday 9/10/2011 at 05:22 AM | 82406
I think neither franchise should get the genre added to it, because it's totally POINTLESS. But if I had to choose, I'd pick Friday the 13th only because Halloween is a lot more driven by it's narrative where as F13 is bacally a slasher of new randoms with every film.

I hope to all hell that Halloween doesn't get this treatment and instead goes back to the roots of H20 and finish the series with Michael finally long and Laurie becoming victorious.
joshk1986 Saturday 9/10/2011 at 08:13 AM | 82410
neither..
zuzek1996 Saturday 9/10/2011 at 07:36 PM | 82425
I think it makes more sense that authorities find a tape in the woods at Camp Crystal Lake but I personally think it works better for Halloween.
indygogo Saturday 9/10/2011 at 09:35 PM | 82437
Friday the 13th
Voorhees13 Sunday 9/11/2011 at 02:55 AM | 82459
AS MUCH AS I LOVE HALLOWEEN, IT WOULDN'T WORK. FRIDAY 13TH 10000%
TheShape1188 Monday 9/12/2011 at 02:22 AM | 82474
I'm a huge Friday the 13th fan and I feel they shouldn't do a found footage film veron. However, that being said, I personally think that if you had to choose between Halloween and Friday the 13th to make a "found footage" sequel, Friday the 13th would be the best choice. Mainly because of the woods and the camp atmosphere.

If they made Halloween in the "found footage" style it would end up looking too milar to Halloween: Resurrection, and we all know how bad that was.
syko2k2 Monday 9/12/2011 at 04:31 AM | 82489
Neither!!! I posted a reply to a milar post a little while back and said the same kind of thing; it wouldn't work for either nce you have to see all those camera angles on Myers or Voorhees. Found footage films reveal barely any detail, and if they do, it's towards the end of the film.

In my opinion, I really just love the films as they are and couldn't posbly imagine them being filmed in a found footage style.
jasondaman8 Monday 9/12/2011 at 09:00 AM | 82497
I agree with neither, but if it were one it would have to be Friday. That takes place in the woods where a group of people could go misng for years with the camera found later. Halloween takes place in the suburbs where that wouldn't happen.
Bloodwave DVD Tuesday 9/13/2011 at 04:36 AM | 82551
I don't think either franchise should have a found footage film. Both Friday the 13th and Halloween work better without the found footage aspect and trying to make the movies into this is a shame, especially nce their reason for this is caused by Paranormal Activity's success. FF really should only work for the supernatural, like Blair Witch and PA or monster movies, like Cloverfield. It didn't work for Apollo 18, it won't work for slashers.
suzys25 Wednesday 9/14/2011 at 02:43 PM | 82692