Forums Horror Movie Reviews
The Sphere's Back! "PHANTASM II" - The Review

Hey guys, sorry about the break, just moved, found a job, and re-connected with old friends again, but now that I got everything back on track, let's talk about Phantasm II. This was my first viewing of the second one, having only seen the first one, and I have to say, I like Phantasm a lot more after this one, and can't wait to see the rest.

Mike, the kid from the first movie, is back after a x year stay in an institution, and after meeting up with his uncle Reggie, who's family is killed right away, they go off together to track down Liz, Mike's psychic girlfriend to be, and The Tall Man, to put an end to his reign of terror.

Phantasm II has quite a few flaws in it, the acting from the supporting cast seems to be pretty null, while the main cast handles themselves quite well. I love Angus Scrimm, who's name could be used for a slasher already, as The Tall Man, he brings a very malevolent pressence to the film. Paula Irvine, who played Liz, seems to go from delivering lines well, to botching them up completely. She also has that look, as if you remember her from something else, but she has had a very small acting career and retired in the early 90s.There isn't all that much gore in the film, but when there it is it a treat to look at. We get to see people melting from the inde out, burned alive, dismembered, it's awesome. One of my favorite moments in the film comes when a preist uses the word of god against The Tall Man, only to be hung by his own crucifix, showing just how much power god has over The Tall Man.

If your a fan of the first one, and haven't seen the second ,I think you should check it out, it's a fun little movie. Or if your like me, and not to big on the first one, maybe this will change your mind. Either way, just go in looking to have some fun, you'll find it here.

Score - 80% Gore - 8/10

http://youtu.be/ZzaIJfFEyN0
HorrorDaily Saturday 9/10/2011 at 06:34 PM | 82422
So glad to see you back Zach. Enjoyed the review as always!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 9/10/2011 at 10:22 PM | 82442
Love the Phantasm movies, although the last couple really ventured into bizarre territory. I would love to see the story as a Showtime mini series or something, an on-going thing.
Jonny Sicko Saturday 9/10/2011 at 10:40 PM | 82445
I loved this film. It's my 2nd fave in the franchise, but I still regret shelling out $20 for it when it first came out on DVD. I saw it at Wal-Mart in a four-pack with The Funhouse, The Serpent and The Rainbow, and Sssssss for $5. I groan every time I see it for such a low price.
ObscureCinema101 Saturday 9/10/2011 at 11:29 PM | 82450