Forums Horror Movie Talk
What Horror Films Have You Been Meaning To Watch?

It's a common fact that there are probably more horror films out there than any other genre. Whether you decide to stay with the mainstream and just obsess over those films or delve into the unknown horror gems is your choice. For me, my goal has always been to delve deeper and deeper into the realm of obscurity, finding the horror films whispered about once or twice on the internet and bringing them up to the light. Of course, some are hard to track down, and a lot aren't on DVD yet and have VHS prices that soar sky high. Still, I'll find a way to watch these movies. After all, where there's a will, there's a way.

Ticks (1993) Ticks has some notable names involved, particularly Seth Green (Robot Chicken, Austin Powers), Clint Howard (Evilspeak), Alfonso Ribeiro (Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), Ami Dolenz (Pumpkinhead II), and director Tony Randel (Hellbound: Hellraiser II). This has a reputation for being a very fun popcorn movie, and the trailer really pumps me up. From pictures and videos I have seen, it really does look like a fun popcorn movie with great special effects and appropriately cheesy dialogue. And how can you go wrong with Clint Howard and Seth Green in the same movie? But have no fear; I'll be ordering a copy soon.

Iced (1988) I've heard a lot of things about Iced, with most of them being bad. However, the plot of a skiing slasher intrigues me, and I've also heard it's a huge 1980s time capsule. From what I've heard, a good hour or so is all characterization filled with bad acting, bad editing, bad dialogue, and a more than copious helping of gratuitous nudity, but all this just makes me want to see it! Even with some setbacks, I'm still intrigued. Plus, it has Lisa Loring (Wednesday from The Addams Family) getting all kinds of nude! From the clips I've seen, it looks like a great, cheesy stereotypical slasher. Unfortunately, it's not on DVD, and the VHS reaches some high prices.

The Boogens (1981) With an interesting plot (ancient creatures released in a mine collapse) and cool monster effects (the monsters look ridiculous, though), The Boogens looks like a highly entertaining film that, once again, is not on DVD. While it does look a tad slow, I still feel a need to watch this. I'll try and buy a cheap copy so I can put up a 30th anniversary review later this month.

To All A Goodnight (1980) To All A Goodnight is only notable for two things: One, it is the directorial debut of David "Krug" Hess (Last House on the Left). Two, it is the first real slasher film to feature a killer dressed as Santa (Christmas Evil was more of a drama than anything else). The film looks great, despite several poorly lit scenes. The kills and the killr are the main attraction for me, and I love the deaths I've seen from the movie. Bad Dreams (1988) When watching the trailer and reading the synops of Bad Dreams, comparisons to A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3 are bound to pop into your brain. The hospital, the nightmares, the burnt villain, hell, Jennifer Rubin (Taryn from ANOES 3) stars! But I can ealy get past those comparisons and enjoy it for Richard Lynch (the greatest bad guy of all time), the (kind of) unique setting, and (perhaps) some scares. I've heard some good things about it, and it sounds right up my alley. I'll pick it up when Shout! Factory releases it on a double-feature DVD with the great Viting Hours (another hospital slasher).

http://onlinet.at.ua/images/08/Cellar_Dweller_1988.jpg" class="photoborder" /> Cellar Dweller (1988) Like Ticks, Cellar Dweller isn't on DVD, yet has some notable names behind it. You have John Carl Buechler (Friday the 13th Part VII) directing and doing the special effects, Don Mancini (Child's Play) writing, Yvonne De Carlo (The Munsters) starring, and Jeffrey Combs (Re-Animator) making a cameo appearance. I've only sen one clip from this film, and let me say that that clip had me dying to see the film in its entirety. The film looks very, very goofy and very reminiscent of the Tales from the Crypt comics from way-back-when.

The Redeemer (1978) While it may be stereotypical today, the plot of The Redeemer was released before the slasher boom really hit, so it wasn't cliche back in 1978. The film looks very creepy, like Slaughter High mixed with The Omen. I have seen some clips on YouTube, and they make the film look very creepy. The killer sports a variety of masks, and even has a life-zed marionette that he can telepathically control, thanks to his Satanic powers. Code Red released this on DVD a while ago, but I'm going to buy the VHS, nce the DVD has almost no bonus features and the VHS would be a neat addition to my collection.

There's my list of horror films that I'm looking forward to seeing; share your list in the comments section below!
ObscureCinema101 Sunday 9/11/2011 at 07:40 PM | 82464
I've got a ton of flicks on the back-burner right now.

Cube House Of Voices The Reflecting Skin Alice, Sweet Alice Dog Soldiers

Frostbiten Hellraiser 2

P2 Stage Fright

(just to name a few)
AgnesItsMeBilly Sunday 9/11/2011 at 08:15 PM | 82466
nce subscribing to netflix I have been on a b-movie horror kick.-(Mostly whats on netflix is b-movie horror.)

No real choice just checkin out some of the older horror flicks
MOWDEReeL Sunday 9/11/2011 at 08:57 PM | 82467
I have some of those flicks. "Bad Dreams" was interesting. Kind of like Nightmare on Elm Street meets Jim Jones.
Jonny Sicko Monday 9/12/2011 at 02:27 AM | 82476
It's a common fact that there are probably more horror films out there than any other genre. Whether you decide to stay with the mainstream and just obsess over those films or delve into the unknown horror gems is your choice. For me, my goal has always been to delve deeper and deeper into the realm of obscurity, finding the horror films whispered about once or twice on the internet and bringing them up to the light. Of course, some are hard to track down, and a lot aren't on DVD yet and have VHS prices that soar sky high. Still, I'll find a way to watch these movies. After all, where there's a will, there's a way.

Ticks (1993) Ticks has some notable names involved, particularly Seth Green (Robot Chicken, Austin Powers), Clint Howard (Evilspeak), Alfonso Ribeiro (Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), Ami Dolenz (Pumpkinhead II), and director Tony Randel (Hellbound: Hellraiser II). This has a reputation for being a very fun popcorn movie, and the trailer really pumps me up. From pictures and videos I have seen, it really does look like a fun popcorn movie with great special effects and appropriately cheesy dialogue. And how can you go wrong with Clint Howard and Seth Green in the same movie? But have no fear; I'll be ordering a copy soon.

Iced (1988) I've heard a lot of things about Iced, with most of them being bad. However, the plot of a skiing slasher intrigues me, and I've also heard it's a huge 1980s time capsule. From what I've heard, a good hour or so is all characterization filled with bad acting, bad editing, bad dialogue, and a more than copious helping of gratuitous nudity, but all this just makes me want to see it! Even with some setbacks, I'm still intrigued. Plus, it has Lisa Loring (Wednesday from The Addams Family) getting all kinds of nude! From the clips I've seen, it looks like a great, cheesy stereotypical slasher. Unfortunately, it's not on DVD, and the VHS reaches some high prices.

The Boogens (1981) With an interesting plot (ancient creatures released in a mine collapse) and cool monster effects (the monsters look ridiculous, though), The Boogens looks like a highly entertaining film that, once again, is not on DVD. While it does look a tad slow, I still feel a need to watch this. I'll try and buy a cheap copy so I can put up a 30th anniversary review later this month.

To All A Goodnight (1980) To All A Goodnight is only notable for two things: One, it is the directorial debut of David "Krug" Hess (Last House on the Left). Two, it is the first real slasher film to feature a killer dressed as Santa (Christmas Evil was more of a drama than anything else). The film looks great, despite several poorly lit scenes. The kills and the killr are the main attraction for me, and I love the deaths I've seen from the movie. Bad Dreams (1988) When watching the trailer and reading the synops of Bad Dreams, comparisons to A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3 are bound to pop into your brain. The hospital, the nightmares, the burnt villain, hell, Jennifer Rubin (Taryn from ANOES 3) stars! But I can ealy get past those comparisons and enjoy it for Richard Lynch (the greatest bad guy of all time), the (kind of) unique setting, and (perhaps) some scares. I've heard some good things about it, and it sounds right up my alley. I'll pick it up when Shout! Factory releases it on a double-feature DVD with the great Viting Hours (another hospital slasher).

http://onlinet.at.ua/images/08/Cellar_Dweller_1988.jpg" class="photoborder" /> Cellar Dweller (1988) Like Ticks, Cellar Dweller isn't on DVD, yet has some notable names behind it. You have John Carl Buechler (Friday the 13th Part VII) directing and doing the special effects, Don Mancini (Child's Play) writing, Yvonne De Carlo (The Munsters) starring, and Jeffrey Combs (Re-Animator) making a cameo appearance. I've only sen one clip from this film, and let me say that that clip had me dying to see the film in its entirety. The film looks very, very goofy and very reminiscent of the Tales from the Crypt comics from way-back-when.

The Redeemer (1978) While it may be stereotypical today, the plot of The Redeemer was released before the slasher boom really hit, so it wasn't cliche back in 1978. The film looks very creepy, like Slaughter High mixed with The Omen. I have seen some clips on YouTube, and they make the film look very creepy. The killer sports a variety of masks, and even has a life-zed marionette that he can telepathically control, thanks to his Satanic powers. Code Red released this on DVD a while ago, but I'm going to buy the VHS, nce the DVD has almost no bonus features and the VHS would be a neat addition to my collection.

There's my list of horror films that I'm looking forward to seeing; share your list in the comments section below

I have all of these available in my store.
Bloodwave DVD Monday 9/12/2011 at 03:04 AM | 82479
For years, I remembered 'Bad Dreams' as being quite scary (I was under 10 when I saw it) but it took me ages to actually get the name of the film. There aren't many that really stuck with me to that degree; there's a bit with a large industrial vent fan that I remember quite clearly!

There is a lot of the old old school horror I haven't seen as yet that I definitely want to catch. I just snagged a copy of I Was a Teenage Werewolf (the Michael Landon flick) that I need to find time to watch. There's more of the lent era or early talking that I'd like to catch up on as well.
dew Monday 9/12/2011 at 03:05 AM | 82480
I remember Ticks being very funny because Alfonso Ribeiro plays the "badass".
Diabeticace Monday 9/12/2011 at 05:27 PM | 82511
I've wanted to see Ticks for years, ever nce I was a kid, just getting into horror. My parents were letting me watch horror movies much younger than most of my friends, but Ticks wasn't one I was allowed to rent. I remember it tting there on the shelf at blockbuster, and for years have tried to view it, with no luck.

Cellar Dweller is another one on my list I've wanted to see, I had a copy of it once, but it was of such bad quality that I couldn't tell what was going on.Other films I've been meaning to watch. Children Of The Corn, all of the Puppet Master series, and They Live. Those are just off the top of my head.
HorrorDaily Monday 9/12/2011 at 07:02 PM | 82517
I have all of these available in my store. Very nice! Be expecting an order for Iced, To All A Goodnight, and posbly others within a week or two (three weeks at the most). That's funny, because I've browsed your store before and completely forgot about buying them from you! Thanks!
ObscureCinema101 Monday 9/12/2011 at 07:17 PM | 82520
I have all of these available in my store. Very nice! Be expecting an order for Iced, To All A Goodnight, and posbly others within a week or two (three weeks at the most). That's funny, because I've browsed your store before and completely forgot about buying them from you! Thanks

The Redeemer, Cellar Dweller and Bad Dreams aren't listed in my store, but are available. I have a special running now for 10 dvds for $24.95, or 5 for $14.95. If you like, I can email you a complete list.
Bloodwave DVD Tuesday 9/13/2011 at 04:27 AM | 82550
I have all of these available in my store. Very nice! Be expecting an order for Iced, To All A Goodnight, and posbly others within a week or two (three weeks at the most). That's funny, because I've browsed your store before and completely forgot about buying them from you! Thanks

The Redeemer, Cellar Dweller and Bad Dreams aren't listed in my store, but are available. I have a special running now for 10 dvds for $24.95, or 5 for $14.95. If you like, I can email you a complete list. Does that include DVDs with box and cover art?
ObscureCinema101 Tuesday 9/13/2011 at 07:06 PM | 82598

The Redeemer, Cellar Dweller and Bad Dreams aren't listed in my store, but are available. I have a special running now for 10 dvds for $24.95, or 5 for $14.95. If you like, I can email you a complete list. Does that include DVDs with box and cover art?

No, the specials are for discs only. 5 with cases and artwork is $29.95.
Bloodwave DVD Wednesday 9/14/2011 at 12:03 AM | 82638
Why don't you just download the films that aren't available on dvd? No offence to the person selling these rare films but that's how they most likely how they obtained them.

Anyway, watched Ticks last night and it wasn't too bad. Had its funny moments. I do think they wasted Clint Howard's character though. He should have turned into a giant bug like the other guy. Instead his character didn't really go anywhere, even though he was the cause of the mutant ticks.

I've already seen Bad Dreams. Bought it before it went OOP. I haven't seen it in a while but I remember liking it. Great effects.

Also own The Redeemer... but I don't know. It was a bit slow I thought. I think I kind of expected a different movie from it too. I may have to watch it again soon and see how it goes.

I'll try and watch some other from your list soon. You make some awesome lists btw. Found some great stuff that I never knew existed. You also have some pretty good tastes.
Zombie Dude Friday 9/16/2011 at 07:55 AM | 82817
Almost feel embarrassed to say this but... I've never seen the Maniac Cop series. Downloading them right now. Have a case of Yuengling, should be a good night ;D
Jonny Sicko Sunday 9/18/2011 at 06:00 PM | 82906
Why don't you just download the films that aren't available on dvd? No offence to the person selling these rare films but that's how they most likely how they obtained them.

Anyway, watched Ticks last night and it wasn't too bad. Had its funny moments. I do think they wasted Clint Howard's character though. He should have turned into a giant bug like the other guy. Instead his character didn't really go anywhere, even though he was the cause of the mutant ticks.

I've already seen Bad Dreams. Bought it before it went OOP. I haven't seen it in a while but I remember liking it. Great effects.

Also own The Redeemer... but I don't know. It was a bit slow I thought. I think I kind of expected a different movie from it too. I may have to watch it again soon and see how it goes.

I'll try and watch some other from your list soon. You make some awesome lists btw. Found some great stuff that I never knew existed. You also have some pretty good tastes. Call me a goody-two-shoes, but I tend to stray away from the whole downloading gig. I saw Bad Dreams two days ago when I picked it up on a double-bill with Viting Hours. Highly enjoyed the film, and will post a review sometime this week.

Glad you're enjoying my stuff!
ObscureCinema101 Sunday 9/18/2011 at 07:56 PM | 82909
Call me a goody-two-shoes, but I tend to stray away from the whole downloading gig. I saw Bad Dreams two days ago when I picked it up on a double-bill with Viting Hours. Highly enjoyed the film, and will post a review sometime this week.

Glad you're enjoying my stuff You're not doing anything wrong if the films aren't legitimately released. Plus you're saving money rather than giving to someone who's probably done the same thing. So either way the films are probably being downloaded, just in one case you're paying for it. ;)

Do keep up the good posts though :)
Zombie Dude Sunday 9/18/2011 at 09:46 PM | 82918
I download a fair amount of movies. It can be especially handy when trying to see something that is a rarity. The one thing that pisses me off about it is when you're trying to find a rare foreign flick and you can't find one with the right subtitles.

**i do buy most films that i truly love** i'm not that much of a cheapo.
AgnesItsMeBilly Monday 9/19/2011 at 06:13 PM | 82981
i spit on your grave (2010) Cube Nightmare New york ripper Night of the demons

Those movies i want to see.
SplatteriPoika Wednesday 9/28/2011 at 03:40 AM | 83385
Soon enough I'll be trying to see the lent Night, Deadly Night flicks all in a row. It's been a while, and I do have parts 3-5 on DVD that came in a combo pack, but I would love to find the first film on VHS in its original big box veron released by USA Home Video (in decent condition of course).

The Headless Eyes is another title that I wouldn't mind obtaining and seeing again.
buried13 Thursday 10/06/2011 at 12:33 AM | 83877
Soon enough I'll be trying to see the lent Night, Deadly Night flicks all in a row. It's been a while, and I do have parts 3-5 on DVD that came in a combo pack, but I would love to find the first film on VHS in its original big box veron released by USA Home Video (in decent condition of course).

The Headless Eyes is another title that I wouldn't mind obtaining and seeing again. I still have to watch all the lent Night Deadly Night movies too. I've never seen any of them :(
Zombie Dude Thursday 10/06/2011 at 01:05 AM | 83882