Forums Horror Movie Talk
TROPIC THUNDER

OH my where to begin . . .

SPOILERS

Well, lets see . .. you don't even realize when the previews end and the movie begins LOL.

First you're watching a trailer for some upcoming movie then a soda commercial pops on with some hip-hop artist . . .who's starts to ng obscene lyrics HAHAHAHHA (you're tting there like, WHAT?!?!?!)

Next you are subject to three "FAKE" trailers (milar to the ones in the GRINDHOUSE).

These were pretty much the most hilarious parts of the whole film for me.

Particularly the one with Robert Downey Jr. and co-starring Tobey McGuire as secret Monk lovers called, SATAN'S ALLEY HAHAHAHHAH

vit it's webte here (no I'm not kidd'n, a non-real movie has a webte) http://www.satansalley.com

The first act of this movie is down right hilarious and ridiculous . . . and you keep wanting more.

Masve Cameo appearances (which turn out to be actual roles instead of Cameos) by Matthew McConaughey and Tom Cruise (see if you can figure out which one is Tom Cruise (who might have stole the entire show and redeemed his psycho Scientology thrown . .. ok not that but redeemed everything else . . .. well, except Oprah . .. . .ok so the guy is still a nut but he was top notch LOL).

Ben Stiller and Jack Black are freak'n great but Downey's character over shadows.

Who would have thought you could get away with playing "black face" in a movie today???

They just did.

Many people in our audience . . white and black walked out of the theater quoting all of Robert's lines . .. . "I'm the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude" and when Downey gives the slavery speech (mind you, an Australia actor who had a controveral surgery who acts black tries to related to a "brother" about the 400 years of oppreson they suffered . .. enough said

"

Act 2

. .. .drags.

There are a few funny scenes but it feels as if they wrote the screen play for acts 1 and 3 then just made up 2 as they were going.

IT was so bogged down by dialog that a movie that you thought was completely off the wall tries to be semi-serious for a few moments!?!?!?

Make up your mind Stiller (who directed this pic).

The ending is good (and I won't give that away) however the little Aan boy stabbing Stiller as he runs across the bridge . . .Oh my LOL.I have to highlight two things (bedes the trailers).

First, when the director gets blown up by a land mine and Stiller (unconvinced it is real) starts licking the severed head . .. Comedic Gold right there folks.

Second, Downey's performance is so convincing that you could have put him in another movie and credited him with a different name and there is NO WAY you could have been able to tell it was him.

So go see this flick, mind the slow act 2 but the first and last parts of the film are funny enough to make this worth your while (at least give it a rent).

I gives a Knives up!!!!
DaShape Saturday 8/16/2008 at 05:23 AM | 16898
I'm with you on all points Joel. The severed head bit was great. The movie couldn't be taken seriously, which means everything that would have otherwise been offenve was just hilarious. Downey made the movie for me. That character was just great. Definitely see it.

(I won't bother mentioning what Jack Black is willing to do for a fix.

)
Myers31TKD Saturday 8/16/2008 at 04:50 PM | 16916
I dont like Ben Stiller but he rocked it but in all honesty the movie wouldnt be anything with out RDjr
DWN Productions Saturday 8/23/2008 at 02:16 AM | 17413
Robert Downey Jr and Tom Cruise owned the movie as far as the comedy goes. I like Jack Black a lot but found most of his lines/scenes mediocre, same with Ben Stiller. Overall I liked the film and would recommend seeing it. You guys are right though, the first three trailers were probably the funniest parts.
FilmFiends Sunday 9/07/2008 at 11:54 PM | 18500
I loved this movie... The opening trailers were great, and Downey really stole the movie IMO... Dude had me falling out of my chair.

Great flick.

DarkArtist81 Monday 10/20/2008 at 04:36 AM | 21058
Good review! I thought it was a funny film. Tom Cruise bugs me in it though. I don't know why. I don't really think it's him...it's the whole character that he's playing...it annoys me. I love Jack Black and I also thought it was funny when Stiller was licking that guys guts coming out of his head. lol. I also saw little bits of the movie that looked like they were straight out of Platoon and Apocalypse Now...all in all a good time. I give it like 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

Stv
dontbeafraid Wednesday 10/22/2008 at 09:09 PM | 21295