Forums Horror Movie Talk
4 Concept Ideas For HALLOWEEN 3D (What's Yours?)

One of the lingering fears in the mind of Halloween franchise fans is that the story continues along the convoluted path paved by Rob Zombie. I can relate to that fear, as the last thing I hope to see is anything that resembles H2. After the latest Halloween installment, we fans need some form of saving grace, as does Dimenon Films, at least if they hope to continue turning a profit with this specific series.

While we’ve heard rumors of what H3D may or not be about (who is to truly say what’s fact, and what’s fiction at this point), and we’ve heard that the film could potentially be approached as a found footage film, there’s just nothing in terms of solid facts to nk our teeth into.

So, why not mull over some ideas?

Myers Continues the Hunt, Straight to the Hospital: I’d still like to see a legitimate remake of the original Halloween II. Zombie’s H2 looked like it was about to take that turn, but that lasted all of four minutes.

I think we could place Laurie in the hospital, where she is of course being attended to by both phycians as well as law enforcement; she’s been through hell phycally as well as emotionally, but she’s certainly got some details to share with officials once she’s coherent. Of course, Michael bides his time, escapes the morgue after being condered DOA, and seeks out Laurie in the hospital.

Realistically the entire 1981 script foundation could stay intact, of course modernizing the details, and we may have a fine remake that could potentially be effectively chilling. Check out Cold Prey 2 for an idea of what a well-executed hospital slasher has to offer.

Michael Kills Laurie, Only to Set His Eyes on Dr. Loomis: I’d love to see Myers shift directions and aim to take out his lent rage on the now obnoxious Dr. Loomis. Zombie transformed Loomis into such a despicable character that, sadly, I don’t want to see him included as part of the story anymore (a damn shame, condering the endearing quality Donald Pleasence brought to the character).

What better way to take him out of the equation than having ole Mike dedicate his murderous deres to the destruction of the suddenly pretentious Doc (nce it’s never genuinely clarified whether he survived the finale of H2)? Think about it, we open the film with Myers eliminating Laurie, which leaves two focal characters from his past alive: Loomis and Sheriff Brackett.

Let’s reduce Asshole Loomis, excuse me, Dr. Loomis to a blabbering coward who finds luck in evading the menacing beast, for a while; this will enable Brackett to take on the full blown hero role. nce he’s the only character who didn’t have his personality massacred beyond recognition by Zombie, he’ll make for a superb leading man. He’s already charming, he’s already heroic, and he’s already got experience dealing with this psychopath. Brackett saves the day in this installment, but not by saving Loomis, but by attempting to save Loomis, because it’s the morally correct thing to do. I say attempting, because the ultimate payoff comes after Brackett is severely wounded, but survives, while Loomis gets himself chopped into the series of tiny bloody bits that franchise fans are now dying to see. It’s time to eliminate the character: thanks Rob.

Forget “Full Retard”, Laurie Goes “Full Psycho Killer”: This seems to be the direction in which Rob was leading the franchise (evidenced early by Laurie's new schizophrenic, pseudo satanic personality). As H2 comes to a close, you may remember that Laurie’s hanging out in what seems a hospital setting, looking bat-shit crazy. The dreaded white horse and Laurie’s dead mother approach, which could be intended to relay the idea that Laurie died after being shot down, but, like the rest of the film, the clong sequence is so convoluted there’s no way to truly identify Zombie’s actual aim.

So why not pick up with little Laurie Strode taking the serial killer reigns. The idea could actually work, as insane as it sounds.

Obviously Laurie isn’t going to pose the same phycal menace that Michael produced, but hey, if you toss the mask (preferably a mask that fits) on Laurie and place the kitchen knife in her hand, we could potentially see some mystery return to the Halloween films. Sheer brutality won’t work for a young lady that stands at 5’3” tall and probably tips the scales at about 100 pounds, so she’d certainly need to utilize shadows and brainpower to effectively stalk victims. It is in all actuality an approach that could take the series back to its less –is-more approach that Carpenter so masterfully executed in his 1978 original.

It’s a wild idea, but it could fit in terms of contemporary continuity.

Back To Haddonfield, Back To Bacs: Keeping things mple is sometimes the best course of travel. I think a large percentage of Halloween fans miss the mplicity of the mindless serial killer content to stalk babytters; I know I personally do.

Why not bring Michael back (he always pops up from the dead anyway), redepot him in the heart of Haddonfield, Illinois where he can do what does best: hunt attractive young ladies who just so happen to be home alone (or, of course, babytting)?

Sure it’s the most bac approach of the ideas offered in this article, but a quality scribe could very well bring the intrigue back to the franchise. Call me crazy, but I believe Ti West could craft a script that may actually rival the genius of Carpenter’s own original. West is well versed in mplicity, and he understands the importance of holding a little something back, while developing the characters that actually need developing. (Think House of the Devil, with Michael Myers, and tell me that wouldn’t make for a terrifyingly superb Halloween tale.)If you think this idea is absolutely preposterous, realize for a moment that the majority of the Halloween sequels have been subpar because of lackluster, soulless, unintelligent scripts that feel more like they were released from Adam Richman’s bowels than the minds of talented writers. Halloween is a film that birthed fear because of its plaubility and realism. Why not try to create a modern interpretation of the same clasc formula?

It could work.

If you were in control, where would you take H3D? (If you echo the dere for a Halloween Found Footage flick, I'll personally call Justin and demand you be banned!)
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/15/2011 at 02:04 AM | 82737
I know I'm gonna be in the extreme minority, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing a 3D, modernized veron of Season of the Witch.

Everyone hates it cuz it has nothing to do with Michael Myers, but I think Carpenter's original concept for the Halloween series (with a new tale focung on the holiday with each movie, as opposed to the ongoing adventures of Michael Myers) is potentially awesome.

One of the reasons I enjoyed the yearly installments of the Saw series was that it was something to look forward to.

Each year, we got a new continuation of the story.

Whether or not you love or hate the Saw flicks, they did manage to do something that horror (and specifically slasher horror) hasn't done nce the 80's, which is constently release a sequel within a year or two of the previous installment.

Now, it seems that even though all of the clasc slashers have been rebooted to various levels of quality and success, getting a sequel out of any of them is just a hard, long, painful road that takes damn near a decade to accomplish.

I wouldn't mind that so much if the end product was amazing and you could see why it took so long to do.

Unfortunately, it seems like it's more just bickering and struggle to even decide what to do and then they rush through it and deliver a half-assed movie.

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent, but essentially what I'm getting at is that personally, I think it would be pretty sweet if, instead of trying to figure out how the hell to salvage the trainwreck that was Zombie's Halloween 2, they took the whole series in a different direction, to the point of just leaving Michael Myers on the delines and exploring new, original, twisted ideas revolved around the Halloween holiday.

There's obviously material, as Trick'r'Treat did something along those lines and that flick was amazing.

Of course, that idea will totally piss off all the Michael Myers fans and, from a buness perspective, if they went in that direction, they wouldn't have a guaranteed fan base to sell to and/or rip off.

So that'll never happen, but nce this thread's about what we'd like to see if we had our druthers, I'll throw it out there.

That ade, given the two potential ways Halloween 3 seems to be going (either 3D or found footage), I think I prefer the found footage concept.

I've enjoyed a lot of the found footage flicks that have come out to one extent or another (outde of Paranormal Activity, which I just thought was utter crap) and I think it would be interesting to see how they trantioned that into the slasher genre.

3D's the new big thing, and I've seen some impresve stuff done with it, but we've had 3D slashers before (in the 80's, with Friday the 13th 3D, Freddy's Dead) and even more recently with My Bloody Valentine 3D and - if you wanna lump it into the slasher genre - Final Destination 3D.

So maybe that's why the 3D angle seems less interesting to me.

And that about sums up my really long-winded, rambling response to the posed question.

Flaming for my admitted love of Season of the Witch will commence in 3... 2...
steelcorpfilms Thursday 9/15/2011 at 04:04 AM | 82746
I know I'm gonna be in the extreme minority, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing a 3D, modernized veron of Season of the Witch.

Everyone hates it cuz it has nothing to do with Michael Myers, but I think Carpenter's original concept for the Halloween series (with a new tale focung on the holiday with each movie, as opposed to the ongoing adventures of Michael Myers) is potentially awesome.

One of the reasons I enjoyed the yearly installments of the Saw series was that it was something to look forward to.

Each year, we got a new continuation of the story.

Whether or not you love or hate the Saw flicks, they did manage to do something that horror (and specifically slasher horror) hasn't done nce the 80's, which is constently release a sequel within a year or two of the previous installment.

Now, it seems that even though all of the clasc slashers have been rebooted to various levels of quality and success, getting a sequel out of any of them is just a hard, long, painful road that takes damn near a decade to accomplish.

I wouldn't mind that so much if the end product was amazing and you could see why it took so long to do.

Unfortunately, it seems like it's more just bickering and struggle to even decide what to do and then they rush through it and deliver a half-assed movie.

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent, but essentially what I'm getting at is that personally, I think it would be pretty sweet if, instead of trying to figure out how the hell to salvage the trainwreck that was Zombie's Halloween 2, they took the whole series in a different direction, to the point of just leaving Michael Myers on the delines and exploring new, original, twisted ideas revolved around the Halloween holiday.

There's obviously material, as Trick'r'Treat did something along those lines and that flick was amazing.

Of course, that idea will totally piss off all the Michael Myers fans and, from a buness perspective, if they went in that direction, they wouldn't have a guaranteed fan base to sell to and/or rip off.

So that'll never happen, but nce this thread's about what we'd like to see if we had our druthers, I'll throw it out there.

That ade, given the two potential ways Halloween 3 seems to be going (either 3D or found footage), I think I prefer the found footage concept.

I've enjoyed a lot of the found footage flicks that have come out to one extent or another (outde of Paranormal Activity, which I just thought was utter crap) and I think it would be interesting to see how they trantioned that into the slasher genre.

3D's the new big thing, and I've seen some impresve stuff done with it, but we've had 3D slashers before (in the 80's, with Friday the 13th 3D, Freddy's Dead) and even more recently with My Bloody Valentine 3D and - if you wanna lump it into the slasher genre - Final Destination 3D.

So maybe that's why the 3D angle seems less interesting to me.

And that about sums up my really long-winded, rambling response to the posed question.

Flaming for my admitted love of Season of the Witch will commence in 3... 2...

I'm a huge fan of season of the witch, and I'd actually really like to see it remade. That said, I don't want to see the halloween name attached: it didn't work the first time, and it won't work this time. Sadly, the general public is too shallow to appreciate the film for what it is, and prefer to loathe the flick because Michael isn't attached.

I'm all up for a new SOTW, but I think it needs to happen as a standalone feature. With no relation to the ongoing franchise, the film might finally earn the respect it really, really deserves.
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/15/2011 at 04:38 AM | 82752
I would imagine that the best idea for the 3rd would be that Laurie becomes a total psycho, condering how H2 ended. Also, going back to bacs is a good one too, condering that Laurie has become apart of them, so to speak (that weird ritual thing at the end of H2).
jasondaman8 Thursday 9/15/2011 at 09:06 AM | 82766
It all requires a good writer, but I've always liked seeing horror villains stalking/killing people in totally unexpected places.

Places like... Church.

Grocery stores. At the dentist. At Cohen's Optical. In a group home for mentally disabled. At the dollar store. In Lowe's. At the Food Court in any large mall across the country.

Places people think they're safe if only because there are other people around.
Jonny Sicko Thursday 9/15/2011 at 12:17 PM | 82768
My ideal H3D would be: Ditch Zombie's films (love the first, HATED the second) and go back to H20/Resurrection and tie up the series once and for all. A writer and director can continue Zombie's films sure but that means that the ORIGINAL and CLASC Halloween series concludes with Resurrection!!

I'm sorry but fuck that! There is no way that the series started by Carpenter should end with Rosenthal's Resurrection.

Go back to that series cannon and finally conclude it - Kill Michael off once and for all and have Laurie be the victor of her almost life long battle.
joshk1986 Thursday 9/15/2011 at 01:53 PM | 82773
I'm at work now so I might start rambling, but anywho...I'll discuss my ideas for the character development I'd like to see.

I'm liking the idea of having Brackett be the main character/hero. He's now retired from the police force and still mourning the death of his daughter. This is what motivates him to step up and go balls to the wall to find and kill Myers when he's heard he's returned and killing again.

I hated Loomis in the last movie, but I'd like to see him come back in the next movie, but

now he's become a blubbering, scared, shell of a man. He's practically become a hermit. I like the idea also that Loomis would be the next target, but I think it could work with him being the first victim also. The movie opens with him locked up tight in his house and jumping at shadows. Trick or treaters come to the door and he just cracks the door a little to tell them he doesn't celebrate Halloween and shooes them away. Long story short Myers gets in the house and stalks him before coming out and fighting him. Myers either outright kills Loomis or he pins him to the ground and then shows Loomis a picture of Laurie, bacally telling Loomis to tell him where Laurie is. Loomis, thinking that Michael will spare him if he tells and/or that if Michael gets Laurie then he'll stop his killing, tells him where Laurie is. Myers kills him either way.

Laurie's the tough one. I like her in the first one, but hated her in the 2nd. With the way the story is going about the only next logical step would be for Laurie to be pretty much mental. She's withdrawn herself from the real world after all the horror she's been through and she's helpless to defend herself when Michael shows up.

Those are what I feel would really happen to the characters after the events of the previous movies. Now, what I'd really love to see if Michael going back to stalking and killing babytters, but with the way the story has been played out and it's made clear that his only concern is Laurie I don't see how the series could effectively go back to those good ole mpler times.
Ed Reilly Thursday 9/15/2011 at 01:54 PM | 82775
My ideal H3D would be: Ditch Zombie's films (love the first, HATED the second) and go back to H20/Resurrection and tie up the series once and for all. A writer and director can continue Zombie's films sure but that means that the ORIGINAL and CLASC Halloween series concludes with Resurrection!!

I'm sorry but fuck that! There is no way that the series started by Carpenter should end with Rosenthal's Resurrection.

Go back to that series cannon and finally conclude it - Kill Michael off once and for all and have Laurie be the victor of her almost life long battle.

i think if you skip Zombies flicks, then you've got to completely abandon the idea of "Halloween 3" - as the continuity would be completely massacred... not that the franchise has been the most coheve body of work in history lmao

some good ideas in here though...
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/15/2011 at 01:59 PM | 82777
well, i thin k michael should go to space!

Voorhees13 Thursday 9/15/2011 at 06:48 PM | 82791
well, i thin k michael should go to space!I'm leaning toward the hood, but space could work!
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/15/2011 at 07:04 PM | 82792
I'm a huge fan of the Halloween franchise but I would really hate to see Michael go to space. It just doesn't make much nce. It was bad enough that they put Jason there, but Michael? *NO WAY!*. It would be interesting to Michael in a modernized HALLOWEEN II that actually fallowed the storyline from the original.

The last thing to do is to make a remake of Halloween III: Season of the Witch. I gave thumbs down on that one. I do admit that it does have some of it's PROS and CONS but a big CON is that there's no Michael. I put that one as my least favorite. For H2 you can't really say that Laurie dies because there's a different ending in the Theatrical Veron and the Unrated Veron. In the Theatrical Veron Laurie doesn't get shot down, she just walks out of the shack, wearing Michael's mask; fading to Laurie in the mental hospital.

But if there really will be another Halloween film, it wouldn't matter if they did a Rob Zombie continuation or a Jon Carpenter continuation. The ending in Halloween: Resurrection left it open to make another one, but how far could that go. Same with H2. Michael looks dead, but we don't know if he really was dead.
horror3747 Thursday 9/15/2011 at 07:58 PM | 82795
I would LOVE to see Todd Farmer's H2 continuation. If that's even a posbility anymore.
creephouse Thursday 9/15/2011 at 08:53 PM | 82798
I'm a huge fan of the Halloween franchise but I would really hate to see Michael go to space. It just doesn't make much nce. It was bad enough that they put Jason there, but Michael? *NO WAY!*. It would be interesting to Michael in a modernized HALLOWEEN II that actually fallowed the storyline from the original.

The last thing to do is to make a remake of Halloween III: Season of the Witch. I gave thumbs down on that one. I do admit that it does have some of it's PROS and CONS but a big CON is that there's no Michael. I put that one as my least favorite. For H2 you can't really say that Laurie dies because there's a different ending in the Theatrical Veron and the Unrated Veron. In the Theatrical Veron Laurie doesn't get shot down, she just walks out of the shack, wearing Michael's mask; fading to Laurie in the mental hospital.

But if there really will be another Halloween film, it wouldn't matter if they did a Rob Zombie continuation or a Jon Carpenter continuation. The ending in Halloween: Resurrection left it open to make another one, but how far could that go. Same with H2. Michael looks dead, but we don't know if he really was dead.

I'm willing to give you a pass because you're still a young fella - but you better learn to recognize the genius of Season of the Witch - EALY top 3 Halloween effort ever - or I'm gonna have to cyber punch you one day for disn one of the finest flicks the 80's produced! lol
Matt_Molgaard Friday 9/16/2011 at 12:15 AM | 82806

I'm willing to give you a pass because you're still a young fella - but you better learn to recognize the genius of Season of the Witch - EALY top 3 Halloween effort ever - or I'm gonna have to cyber punch you one day for disn one of the finest flicks the 80's produced! lol

Halloween III: Season of the Witch is ealy one of the best horror movies EVER in my opinion.
joshk1986 Friday 9/16/2011 at 01:56 PM | 82821
Maybe have Laurie go Psycho, try her hand at killing some teens in Haddonfield, but have Michael stalking her the entire time, finally kill her and have Brackett become the main hero... Oh and have mikey find a clean veron of the mask like the one in the beginning of RZ's H1... I'm ck of the rotted/ exposed one... let laurie wear it... lol, but the shape needs his real mask back...Also, a remake of Season of the witch, without the Halloween title, would be AWESOME! "Happy Happy Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, Happy Happy Halloween, lver Shamrock!"

Kidtut Saturday 9/17/2011 at 01:07 AM | 82847

I'm not saying that Halloween 3: SOFW was the worst horror film I ever saw, believe me there are even worse ones out there. Halloween 3 just wasn't the best in the series. The film was a little interesting due to the fact of "exploding Halloween masks that are triggered through a commercial and the lver Shamrock icon on the back of the masks. There is a reason why Halloween 3 didn't follow the original...
horror3747 Sunday 9/18/2011 at 09:54 PM | 82919
the concept i would like them to follow is to either let the series die and put it out of its misery

OR

make a sequel to Pt 6 and finish the thorn storyline once and for all

this whole RZ experiment was a disaster from the get go (though i do LOVE the mask from pt 1)
Johnny Bisco Monday 9/19/2011 at 03:58 AM | 82951
and for the record the original halloween 3 rules!

those of you who "hate it" only hate it because michael isnt in it and have never truly watched it as its own movie
Johnny Bisco Monday 9/19/2011 at 04:14 AM | 82952
...Also, a remake of Season of the Witch, without the Halloween title, would be AWESOME! "Happy Happy Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, Happy Happy Halloween, lver Shamrock!"

*As long as Rob Zombie isn't Involved...
Kidtut Monday 9/19/2011 at 10:04 AM | 82966
I would love to see Halloween get back to the bacs and back to Haddonfield with a serious tone atmosphere and modern twist.. Much like Carpenters only modernized..

OR

Picking up where the series left off with H6 leading to H20..There was jamies baby at the end of x and Lauries son in H20..I have always felt he had unfinshed buness with the series..

If not the 1st 2 then a full blown remake of the original H2..

The series going in any one these directions and id have faith in the Halloween series once again..
Caesar015 Friday 10/07/2011 at 01:14 AM | 83943
A Ti West written and directed Halloween movie?! This MUST happen now...if not letters will be written to studio heads haha
NightWalkerCinema Friday 10/07/2011 at 03:43 PM | 83967
My Opinion...Don't make it. Sure Rob Zombies remake of the original was awsome and answered alot of questions but his follow up was horrible and a third, directed by him or not, is bound to suck.

If anyone is going to write a good script on americas most feared shape, then pick up were Ressurection left off. Like what Happened to Laurie Strodes son, or Jamies baby?

Everyone is remaking these great horror clascs and then putting sequels into them and its a huge dissapointment for the people who followed the movies nce the 1980's.
Myersfan13 Monday 10/10/2011 at 07:44 PM | 84371