Forums Horror Movie Talk
[CONFIRMED] GHOSTBUSTERS IS Headed Back To Theaters This October

It's finally been confirmed that Sony Pictures Entertainment is bringing back its clasc Ghostbusters to theaters in October!!

From the press release:

Get ready for mass hysteria! This October, Sony Pictures Repertory celebrates the original movie Ghostbusters, its franchise, and its fans by bringing the quintessential modern clasc back to theatres for a special limited engagement of one showtime one night a week. Starting on Thursday, October 13, 2011 and continuing every following Thursday in October 2011, fans together will be able to see their favorite paranormal psychologists back on the big screen as they save the world from ghosts, ghouls, and Mr. Stay Puft.

Ghostbusters will show in approximately 500 theatres across the US on October 13th, 20th, and 27th, one showtime each day, in 2K digital with 5.1 surround sound. Please check local listings for showtimes. Ghostbusters will also be showing in select theatres in Canada and in various international markets; for more information on international locations and dates, please vit ParkCircus.com.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- posted prior to the official announcement:

According to the official FB page for Ghostbusters,the 1984 paranormal comedy featuring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis may be on its way back to theaters this fall. If you check out the trailer below which was posted on the te, you'll clearly see a nice little message at the end of the trailer which reads "GET READY FOR MASS HYSTERIA - Ghostbusters Back In Theaters This October 2011."

Now don't get too excite, because this isn't set in stone - yet, and according to Ain't it Cool News, they haven't been able to find any details other then what was hinted on the FB page and the trailer, BUT they seem to think that "this could very well be the studio's way of gauging interest in the franchise as they decide what to do about Ghostbusters 3."

http://youtu.be/lkg645uTPHY

The details on this announcement are scant. No information pertaining to the number of theaters and their locations have been made. Screening dates also remain a mystery.

One fishy element involves the trailer which is essentially just a recycled video of the film's original theatrical trailer. If Sony is involved in this re-release one would think that they would have put a little more effort into releang a higher quality trailer.

Would this be a good idea, or is this just another attempt for Hollywood to try and get their hands on more of our hard earned money?

Source: Blu-ray.com
Anonymous Thursday 9/15/2011 at 03:54 AM | 82743
i really really hope this is true. I also really hope i dont have to drive 5 hours to catch it on the big screen.
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 9/15/2011 at 04:42 AM | 82753
I normally hate movies being brought back to theaters (such as the lion king), but I would pay to see this in theaters for sure. I would love it if they rereleased all the october greats (such as Halloween, Exorcist, Texas chainsaw, Psycho, maybe even some of the universal monster movies!
Trickytreater Thursday 9/15/2011 at 05:06 AM | 82754
I have no interest in Ghostbusters 3 and personally I don't think it should be even made BUT HELL YEAH THEY SHOULD RELEASE THIS TO CINEMAS!!!
joshk1986 Thursday 9/15/2011 at 01:58 PM | 82776
I actually remember seeing Ghostbusters in the theater. Probably my oldest memory. Remember it was so packed my dad had to stand. I'd totally see it on the big screen again if it was playing somewhere relatively close. That's awesome!
Jonny Sicko Thursday 9/15/2011 at 11:51 PM | 82805
Yeah dude i saw it first time round with my big ster in the cinema im definitely gonna go see it again on the big screen carnt wait gb 3 it shoulda been done years ago the trilogy is needed!
kriskreecher Sunday 9/18/2011 at 08:57 PM | 82914
One of my all time favorite films. Got to meet Ernie Hudson this weekend.
TheShape1188 Tuesday 9/20/2011 at 11:51 AM | 83015
I would rather they do this than remake it, so hell, I'm excited!
LaLaLauren1011 Tuesday 9/20/2011 at 01:50 PM | 83020
There would probably be a decent market in re-releang clasc films to theaters. I would definitely go to see Ghostbusters if it were on the big screen!

Midnight movies at the Muc Box in Chicago are ALWAYS packed and they don't just do the clasc Rocky Horror schtick. According to the current schedule, in the next couple months they're running The Thing (82), Zombie (79), and Night of the Creeps (86), plus several more. Cult films or anything with a cherished childhood status draws people in. I was lined up around the corner to see Return to Oz just a couple years ago.
dew Tuesday 9/20/2011 at 05:44 PM | 83033
There would probably be a decent market in re-releang clasc films to theaters. I would definitely go to see Ghostbusters if it were on the big screen!

Midnight movies at the Muc Box in Chicago are ALWAYS packed and they don't just do the clasc Rocky Horror schtick. According to the current schedule, in the next couple months they're running The Thing (82), Zombie (79), and Night of the Creeps (86), plus several more. Cult films or anything with a cherished childhood status draws people in. I was lined up around the corner to see Return to Oz just a couple years ago.

Return to Oz LOL. That movie was great. I've enjoyed smoking illegal substances while watching that....Many times.

"The last thing I remember is walking through the forest and hearing a loud noise!"

"Look Belina! It's a lunch-pail tree!" "Don't pick a green one!"

"Behave?! Youuuuu BEEEHAAAAVEEE!!"

Great lines.

And the sadistic Nome King...

"Are you sure you didn't come back for these?" ::::displays himself wearing the ruby slippers:::: "They just...fell out of the sky one day."

"Kneel. Lower.

LOOOWEEERRRR!!!!"
Jonny Sicko Thursday 9/22/2011 at 04:24 PM | 83149
*blinks*
Pepa77 Thursday 9/22/2011 at 08:44 PM | 83164
Return to Oz LOL. That movie was great. I've enjoyed smoking illegal substances while watching that....Many times.

"The last thing I remember is walking through the forest and hearing a loud noise!"

"Look Belina! It's a lunch-pail tree!" "Don't pick a green one!"

"Behave?! Youuuuu BEEEHAAAAVEEE!!"

Great lines.

And the sadistic Nome King...

"Are you sure you didn't come back for these?" ::::displays himself wearing the ruby slippers:::: "They just...fell out of the sky one day."

"Kneel. Lower.

LOOOWEEERRRR!!!!"

Mombi and the wheelers used to freak me the hell out. Also think that flick is responble for my enduring interest in turn of the century asylums LOL
dew Friday 10/14/2011 at 02:05 AM | 85051