Forums Horror Movie Talk
Even More News Breaks - SCREAM 5 May Be A Definite YES!

When SCREAM 4 hit theaters, the box office results were not what director Wes Craven and producer Bob Weinstein had hoped for. The film made around $97,037,610 worldwide, but it made about $2 million less than the domestic gross. About five months later, director Wes Craven said that SCREAM 5 will more than likely happen. It's sad to say that Craven may not be directing this one.

When Movieweb asked Wes Craven if SCREAM 5 was on it's way, he said:

“Yes. The odds are that there will be . It is something that Bob Weinstein wants to do. He tends to do what he wants to do. So I am inclined to think that there will be . Whether I will be a part of it or not? I don’t know. My contract gives me the first look. If they show me something that is really wonderful? Of course I will be a part of it.”

When he was asked about his plans for SCREAM 5, Craven said the following-

“I’d have to kill you if I told you. Its better to have an ending where you can’t tell where it’s going to go next. Than to have an ending where you go, ‘Oh, that is the hook for the sequel. That is the hook for the next one.’ We felt it was better to let the audience speculate than to have all of these clues placed in their lap. It’s not a matter of not being smart enough . We’re clever at this. Let’s just put it that way.”

This was what Wes Craven had to say about how the films were concocted-

“Most people think that I t around and think up

ideas, then I send them to the studio. With Scream, that is not the case. Kevin Williamson has been the writer nce day one. He has been the writer on all of these projects, at least at the beginning of them. That relationship with him and Bob Weinstein is very old, and close. Typically what will happen is that Bob Weinstein or Kevin Williamson will come up with a new idea, and they will pitch it to one or the other. If they both like it, they will toss it around and see if they can develop it into an overarching concept. Then I get the telephone call. They say, ‘We have something to show you.’ It will either be a scene, or if it is Kevin Williamson, he will run through the idea with me from beginning to end. That is what happened on this one. There were a few pages. Not many. At some point there was a first draft. But it mainly started with me and Kevin Williamson tting down in a restaurant in Los Angeles. He showed me how it would go, and I really thought he had something there. So I gned on. Before that point, I am at a potion where I don’t want to be involved with something until the script is there. That makes me not a part of the original process, of banging out the idea. I think that Kevin Williamson is the best at that. And Bob Weinstein is all over that too. I don’t want to play another guy in that. Going into , the first meeting I had with Kevin Williamson, he did sketch out a Scream 5 and 6. The idea was that we were doing the first in a new trilogy. We had to wait to see if we made enough money on each film to make the next one viable. If that happens, those two will come up with the concepts and an idea that is worth fulfilling.”

It's fascinating to hear about the relationship between Kevin Williamson and Bob Weinstein, condering the friction they had on the set of SCREAM 4. Will Kevin Williamson be up for the second SCREAM trilogy?

'Despite its less-than-impresve box office take, Scream 4 was a fun, tongue-in-cheek – to the point of self-parody – horror flick.' SCREAM had a lot of clever, funny, and creative ideas throughout this installment. SCREAM 4 was just as good or better than SCREAM 2 and 3.

This writer will welcome SCREAM 5, if it will be as entertaining as SCREAM 4.

How do you, horror fans feel about a SCREAM 5? I think this would be good, a way to expand the SCREAM trilogy and to discover what lies within the future sequels.

SOURCE:screenrant.com, boxofficemojo
horror3747 Sunday 10/02/2011 at 07:47 PM | 83662
I WANT Scream 5! But i wouldn't like it if Wes didn't do it
zuzek1996 Sunday 10/02/2011 at 08:36 PM | 83664
I WANT Scream 5! But i wouldn't like it if Wes didn't do it

I want SCREAM 5 too. The only reason that will probably make Wes Craven do this one is if the script/story is good enough. That's sorta why he did SCREAM 4, because it was a decent film.
horror3747 Sunday 10/02/2011 at 08:55 PM | 83665
I enjoyed Scream 4 a lot and i'm a huge fan of the original franchise so it would be cool to where this one goes.
RRJR84 Monday 10/03/2011 at 12:14 AM | 83676
I enjoyed Scream 4 a lot and i'm a huge fan of the original franchise so it would be cool to where this one goes.

I actually thought that SCREAM 4 was just as good as the first film. I'm looking forward to see what 5 will be all about. Bob Weinstein is working on a storyline for SCREAM 5...
horror3747 Monday 10/03/2011 at 01:18 AM | 83686
I have been a big Scream fan nce the first one for me Scream 4 was actually the best one in the series nce the first film and I would glady welcome

more installments. I think Scream is unique in the genre because it manges to mix elements of humor and horror fun and fright in a way that nothing else in the genre does. Long live Ghostface!
sylverbexx Monday 10/03/2011 at 03:02 AM | 83693
I don't understand all the negativity that Scream 4 gets. I really liked it and would probably place it right below the first in the list of best Scream movies. I just love the franchise as a whole too and I would love to see the series keep going to number 5 and beyond. The movies constently offer characters, location, and mystery that horror movies lack these days so I would keep watching the movies if they keep putting them out.
Ed Reilly Monday 10/03/2011 at 03:20 PM | 83722
I don't understand all the negativity that Scream 4 gets. I really liked it and would probably place it right below the first in the list of best Scream movies. I just love the franchise as a whole too and I would love to see the series keep going to number 5 and beyond. The movies constently offer characters, location, and mystery that horror movies lack these days so I would keep watching the movies if they keep putting them out.

I totally agree with you right there! I don't understand either, why people keep saying that SCREAM 4 sucked... It was awesome!
horror3747 Monday 10/03/2011 at 10:27 PM | 83748
I've always enjoyed all the screams equally and i love all the character change ups. If they can make 10 Jason movies why keep scream going I'll always know what did last summer was a bust but the screams never fail to keep people on the edge.
RRJR84 Thursday 10/06/2011 at 11:50 AM | 83902
For the SCREAM franchise they're only going up to a 6th one. The SCREAM movies were originally meant to be a trilogy, but then the 4th was made which is a start of a new trilogy. They started with a trilogy and they want to end with a trilogy.
horror3747 Friday 10/07/2011 at 05:04 PM | 83970
I loved the fourth one. I will absolutely welcome a fifth installment.
CZW_CJBecker Thursday 10/27/2011 at 07:45 PM | 85972
I would love to see scream 5. Huge fan of neve Campbelle as dney. Gale weathers is awesome. I hope they both come back!
puppetmancan Monday 10/31/2011 at 11:18 PM | 86220