Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Dismissal, The Disregard, The Genius: Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Many films are chastised long before they swarm the public market. Some preconceived opinions are justified, and validated by the embarrasng products offered forth from desperate production companies and overzealous filmmakers. Others however are unnecessarily panned and ultimately tainted by commercial opinions in what amount to little more than blind hatred.

Sadly, Halloween III: Season of the Witch became a victim of the latter thought process. Initial disdain arrived upon the realization that Michael Myers would have no part in the film; rather, filmmakers opted for a completely new story and completely new villain to showcase. While the directional shift feels a bit suspect, the end result proved a brilliant film that captures the same atmosphere of the first two Halloween pictures, while bearing virtually no resemblance to said predecessors

The concept of a highly intelligent serial killer actually mirrors the persona of Michael Myers, sans the advanced intellect. This factor alone leaves me baffled at the disparagement the film garnered. While Season explored new territory in the sense that young children served as the focal targets, one must be honest with oneself, Myers, like Season’s villain Conal Cochran (Dan O'Herlihy), aimed to slaughter kids; be the victims 12 or 17, is there that glaring a difference? Kids are kids.

While I can understand (to a degree) the disgust with child murder, there are so many layers within Season to appreciate, that it’s amazing viewers failed to embrace the complexity of the tale. We deal with an organized body of villains. We deal with commercial control, refined con artistry and a seriously devious motive. The foundation hasn’t been erected alone, this is a nightmarish home finalized with luxury in tow.

http://youtu.be/2tvVla5AHmA

The theme’s that run throughout the picture should, alone, be enough to win over horror fans. How often are we treated to believable atmosphere, the anticipation of Halloween night, forecast in the form of hideous masks adorned by naïve children, eager for one thing and one thing alone: a slew of candy fit to fill a week’s indulgence as they travel pitch black streets? And what is the icing of the cake if not a controlled sociopath intent of the destruction of said innocence?

I’ll always grasp the general trepidation this film receives. That said, I’ll always understand that ignorance is weakness, and knowledge is power. Study this film, recognize it for exactly what it is, and if need be, pretend the word ‘Halloween’ isn’t attached to the picture. I can assure you, you’ll spot one of the greatest treasures to be produced in the 1980’s; the fact that the film still bears noteworthy impact today, says a whole lot about just how fantastic this feature truly is.

All said and done, Halloween III: Season of the Witch was sacrificed for no valid reason. It is one of the finest genre films you’ll find on the market today, and more importantly, it makes for a pitch perfect Halloween viewing experience.
Matt_Molgaard Sunday 10/02/2011 at 08:25 PM | 83663
Big thumbs up on this piece!

Halloween III, with Tom Atkins and Dan O'Herlihy is a great flick.

A little dated today but at the time, an excellent Halloween themed shocker.

An exciting idea, letting the pagans have their last laugh.

To take revenge on a society which bastardized their solemn festival and commercializing it into a happy time.

Samhain was not happy times.

It was a time of unknowing and trepidation.

The end of Summer for a pre-Christian civilization who prayed to their Gods for good harvest.

They owned it!!

And Halloween III dared to pose what would happen if the Celtic roots finally awoke to take it back...back to the glory of what it once was.

I'll t and watch this at least once a year, usually around the season that it glorifies.We covered this movie in depth in our second podcast at Horror 101 because it meant that much to us and we felt it was brushed ade so viciously back in the day.
cash Sunday 10/02/2011 at 09:15 PM | 83666
it was a crappy movie and never should have been released as a sequel if they would have just released it as it's own movie called season of the witch it would have done much better. but you would think after so many years of people complaining about this movie they would have re-released it strictly under the name Season of the Witch. IMO that would have been the smart thing to do. I'm sure it would have given the movie a boost in dvd sales and made it more of a cult film.
RRJR84 Monday 10/03/2011 at 12:09 AM | 83674
Yo Matt props on the article! Season of the Witch never gets the respect it deserves. Preach it brother, preach it!
indygogo Monday 10/03/2011 at 12:10 AM | 83675
Have a happy Halloween, Halloween, Halloween! Have a happy Halloween, lver Shamrock! Definatly the best (after 1 and 2) in the series...
Kidtut Monday 10/03/2011 at 12:54 AM | 83682
Matt great article as always. Halloween III is one of the most underrated horror films in my opinion and one that has a special spot on my shelf, def a must watch every October. Tom Atkins is the man, the masks are hella cool and there are snakes, bugs, worms and melting! What more can you ask for in a horror flick? More people need to give this film a chance and just ignore the Halloween name which doomed it. Although I can't see it ever happening and it would probably be a horrible idea (financially and as a movie) part of me would love to see it remade mply so people would go back and watch the original. Plus Tom Atkins would have to have a cameo! Love live SEASON OF THE WITCH!!!!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 10/03/2011 at 01:21 AM | 83687
Just like yourself, Matt, I've always felt like I was one of the few who not only enjoyed but respected this film. As stated in your article: "pretend the word ‘Halloween’ isn’t attached to the picture" is probably the best (if not the only way) that the viewer will avoid confuon and disappointment through the film's entirety.

I've heard a couple different reasons behind why the Halloween title was attached to this project, such as John Carpenter supposedly wanting to create a variety of Halloween-esque stories each year (as we all know Part II was the only intended sequel). Also, nce both Halloween films had success, it was under "popular demand" that another Halloween film be generated, especially only one year after the sequel hit theatres. Thus, 'Halloween III' was slapped onto the film's main title.

Overall, good article man and it's good to see this film brought to the spotlight with a potive response.
buried13 Monday 10/03/2011 at 11:49 AM | 83704
I alway praised the movie and never jumped on the bandwagon of haters, who mply were pissed that Myers was not in it. I always thought it was a great work of art, and I still listen to the song and can't et it out of my head. As a kid I also was upset there was no Myers, but as I got older I appraciated the movie more, as I did with others.
sirbrad Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 03:15 AM | 83775
When I was a kid, I found the soundtrack to H3 in a bin of cutouts and bought it cheap.

I had no idea what the story was but that muc was the soundtrack for many of my Halloweens over the years.

That's what makes the movie for me, even today.

While it certainly isn't a great movie, it's much better than a lot of the drek out there today.
freakengine Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 03:55 AM | 83831
just because Myers wasnt in it, doesnt mean its a crappy movie

im so ck of hearing people say they hate it when they havent truly watched it

honestly they should have gone with the original idea of doing a twilight zone type series and left Michael dead in H2

but again people quit bashing it because Michael isnt it in

i will watch this movie 10000000000000 times before i watch Zombies P.O.S. H2
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 07:23 PM | 83851
I actually never really got into this one as of until 2 years ago, I always remember seeing it on TV as a young kid but never really understood the concept as it's a pretty deep

storyline.

so nce I own all the Halloween Movies I figured why not really try to get into it 14 years later..

so I watched with a open mind and came to the concluon that it is a masterpiece of its own kind!!

any one who loves Halloween ( the season not the movies) should really give this gem a chance..

I think a lot of the negativity that this movie gets comes from die hard Myers fans ( which I am one of them as you can tell by my avatar ) but it should not just get overlooked and put down due to the fact there is no actual Myers killings.. I just showed my other half this movie last Friday, and she is a huge "witch fan".. she really dug it, and enjoyed how it offered something different from all the other "slasher films" out there..

there's my 2 cents ...
Kingcoop80 Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 08:20 PM | 83856
I actually never really got into this one as of until 2 years ago, I always remember seeing it on TV as a young kid but never really understood the concept as it's a pretty deep

storyline.

so nce I own all the Halloween Movies I figured why not really try to get into it 14 years later..

so I watched with a open mind and came to the concluon that it is a masterpiece of its own kind!!

any one who loves Halloween ( the season not the movies) should really give this gem a chance..

I think a lot of the negativity that this movie gets comes from die hard Myers fans ( which I am one of them as you can tell by my avatar ) but it should not just get overlooked and put down due to the fact there is no actual Myers killings.. I just showed my other half this movie last Friday, and she is a huge "witch fan".. she really dug it, and enjoyed how it offered something different from all the other "slasher films" out there..

there's my 2 cents ...

I wish all genre fans were as open minded as you buddy!
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 10/06/2011 at 01:13 AM | 83883
just because Myers wasnt in it, doesnt mean its a crappy movie

im so ck of hearing people say they hate it when they havent truly watched it

honestly they should have gone with the original idea of doing a twilight zone type series and left Michael dead in H2

but again people quit bashing it because Michael isnt it in

i will watch this movie 10000000000000 times before i watch Zombies P.O.S. H2

This was probably the most glaringly hypocritical comment I've read today. :/

I've actually never seen Halloween 3. Not because Michael doesn't star but because I can never find the bloody thing in any of my local video stores. This article's making me want to take a trip to Amazon though, if only to see what I've been misng. There's been a gaping hole in between Halloween 2 and 4 on my shelf for far too long.
ShoddyStitches Thursday 10/06/2011 at 03:41 AM | 83890
hypocritical how?

all I am pointing out is how people who have watched it and say it sucks

always say because "Michael isnt in it"

thats always the answer i hear from people

I my friend have not made one hypocritical statement so try again
Johnny Bisco Thursday 10/06/2011 at 09:14 AM | 83899
I'm going to give it a fourth chance and try to watch it again, but i've never been a big fan of the movie and not because Michael wasn't in i just didn't care for the film. The idea of owning it just because the Halloween name is attached doesn't work for me. I'm very open minded to the genre i've seen almost all major original horror franchises. I've watched all kinds of horror films from low budget to big budget. When i first watched Halloween 3 it through me off because Michael wasn't in it. But i've watched it again and didn't enjoy the movie. It's been a few years so to keep an open mind i'll watch it again this year.
RRJR84 Thursday 10/06/2011 at 11:59 AM | 83904