Forums Off Topic
More Than Half of DVD Sales will be Blu-ray by 2012 ???

Futuresource Consulting projecting that more than half of all DVD sales in the United States will be Blu-ray by the year 2012.

You know, I just can't bring myself to buy blu-ray.

If I had really had to choose I was going to put my money on HD before they lost the format war.

I still ponder the thought that all movies will be online and hard copies will only be owned by collectors.

This same issue is even brought up in my job, Print vs Online.

Printers argue that people will always want that Hard copy, something they can touch and seems real . .. and I agree . . . to a certain point and that point is once the hard copy generations die it all goes electronic.

Take the Newspaper for instance, It's a dying breed of medium (I deal with individuals who work in papers and they even say they are preparing to make the switch to online) and how many people get the paper?

I actually still get one but it's by a mistake subscription and it always goes straight to the trash.

Once our grandparents and baby boomers pass on will the paper exist?

I'm going to put my money on no.

So maybe this same thing can apply to muc and film.

Once those who refuse to let go of the material move on will the hard copies cease?

I'm uncertain.

One thing about 2012 is I’m finding it harder and harder to believe that we’ll have hover boards and flying cars just three years from now.

gn me up for a bitbull if it does happen!
DaShape Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 03:05 AM | 17166
Interesting questions Joel. I agree we are seeing online accesbility replacing hard copies of video, audio, and print but I still have a hard time envioning them disappearing completely.Will Blu-ray eventually replace conventional DVDs? Quite posbly...that's progress...DVDs replaced video cassettes which replaced Super8.
lblambert Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 03:52 AM | 17170
Yeah I agree that Blu Ray will eventually replace DVD's as the format to own but like Fenner I think more and more people will be downloading these to your home entertainment systems. With technology the way it is it will not be long before we have one central computer running everything. Much as my XBOX 360 can download and upload movies, games, news, etc. I do not think it is long before a cetralized unit will control everything. I also see a day where we pay to watch televion shows via a pay per view format. Should be interesting to see what the future holds.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 09:25 PM | 17198
I understand why. I understand that progress makes the money, but what I can't figure out for the life of me is that, WE HAVE the technology to create the best possable viewing formats and yet we choose to drag it out making several differant types like Lee has said with the Super 8 and the VHS and the DVD and now Blue-Ray... It's ALWAYS about the money and the hell with the mpler lifestyle... Why not make everything still??? Why disscontinue the VHS

player? Why discontinue DVD players? If they want to discontinue DVDs and just make Blue-Rays then that fine because people want the better stuff available, but at least keep making the players... Players arnt ment to last forever... Look at Bisco for god sakes... He put the Remake of Psycho in his player and BOOM... Ruined the player... What if they didnt still make those players... How would he ever get to watch his movies again? LMAO... It's just dumb to me... I don't like buying the same movies over and over and over and over again and again and again... TOO expenve and it takes so long to gain what you already had and by the time you are where you were before... Something newer comes out and shits on you all over again...

It's just Purely and mpley...EVIL... --Ryan

Harry Warden Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 10:56 PM | 17207
I'm probably one of the only people who doesn't know this and actually I think someone told me on here but i forgot...lol what is blue-ray?
kweandee Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 10:59 PM | 17208
i will not be on the download bandwagon UNLESS i can make a hard copy of it for myself i want the artwork, the case the disc end of story

blu ray is progress and im all for it but only when im ready to shell out for it.
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 11:02 PM | 17209
i will not be on the download bandwagon UNLESS i can make a hard copy of it for myself i want the artwork, the case the disc end of story

blu ray is progress and im all for it but only when im ready to shell out for it.

So Blue Ray is online???

If that's the case NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! LOL I'm with Bisco on this....I love the whole pkge (movie, case, front artwork, summery in the back)...makes you more excited to watch the movie.

kweandee Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 11:10 PM | 17213
So Blue Ray is online???

If that's the case NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! LOL

swing and a miss... Blu-Ray = hi def disc
lblambert Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 11:15 PM | 17214
Futuresource Consulting projecting that more than half of all DVD sales in the United States will be Blu-ray by the year 2012.

If I had really had to choose I was going to put my money on HD before they lost the format war.

I still ponder the thought that all movies will be online and hard copies will only be owned by collectors.

Printers argue that people will always want that Hard copy, something they can touch and seems real . .. and I agree . . . to a certain point and that point is once the hard copy generations die it all goes electronic.

Take the Newspaper for instance, It's a dying breed of medium (I deal with individuals who work in papers and they even say they are preparing to make the switch to online) and how many people get the paper?

I actually still get one but it's by a mistake subscription and it always goes straight to the trash.

Once those who refuse to let go of the material move on will the hard copies cease?

I'm uncertain.

One thing about 2012 is I’m finding it harder and harder to believe that we’ll have hover boards and flying cars just three years from now.

gn me up for a bitbull if it does happen

Hoverboards dont work on water. You need power!
quietonthesetstudios Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 11:24 PM | 17218
So Blue Ray is online???

If that's the case NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! LOL

swing and a miss... Blu-Ray = hi def disc

Oh okay...you were probably the one that originally told me too...lol

Des = Burnout

kweandee Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 11:34 PM | 17219
I understand why. I understand that progress makes the money, but what I can't figure out for the life of me is that, WE HAVE the technology to create the best possable viewing formats and yet we choose to drag it out making several differant types like Lee has said with the Super 8 and the VHS and the DVD and now Blue-Ray... It's ALWAYS about the money and the hell with the mpler lifestyle... Why not make everything still???

No...you don't understand. The first flaw in your reasoning is you seem to be under some bizarre belief that our level of technology has remained constant. That's not the case...the improvements have come as technological capabilities have increased. It's not as you claim where we had the capacity to make Blu-ray discs back in the days when Super8 film was being used, but dragged it out over several format changes just to make money. That suggestion is just plain absurd. As technological capabilities have increased, the home entertainment industry has responded to the increased consumer demand for better products. It's as mple as that.

Why not still make everything? mple...a company has to spend money to make these products and there isn't enough demand for it to be profitable.
lblambert Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 11:44 PM | 17222

I'm uncertain.

gn me up for a bitbull if it does happen

Hoverboards dont work on water. You need power

That's why I'm getting a bitbull as soon as they are released . . . I'm on the waiting list LOL

DaShape Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 11:51 PM | 17223
I understand why. I understand that progress makes the money, but what I can't figure out for the life of me is that, WE HAVE the technology to create the best possable viewing formats and yet we choose to drag it out making several differant types like Lee has said with the Super 8 and the VHS and the DVD and now Blue-Ray... It's ALWAYS about the money and the hell with the mpler lifestyle... Why not make everything still???

No...you don't understand. The first flaw in your reasoning is you seem to be under some bizarre belief that our level of technology has remained constant. That's not the case...the improvements have come as technological capabilities have increased. It's not as you claim where we had the capacity to make Blu-ray discs back in the days when Super8 film was being used, but dragged it out over several format changes just to make money. That suggestion is just plain absurd. As technological capabilities have increased, the home entertainment industry has responded to the increased consumer demand for better products. It's as mple as that.

Why not still make everything? mple...a company has to spend money to make these products and there isn't enough demand for it to be profitable.

One of Canada's finest lawyers Lee Lambert vs. Harry Warden, next week on Monday Night Debate Ya'll!Harry good luck!!!!!!!!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 11:54 PM | 17225
The move to Blu-Ray is coming, but not for me until the costs come down.

Blu-ray "won" the format war and what happened?

Sony jacked up the prices for players and movies.

Blu-ray looks nice, but it isn't some huge leap in quality.

The move from VHS to DVD was a giant leap in quality.

Blu-ray over an upscaled DVD isn't.

The sound is a great improvement over DVD scores, but it's all about the lines of video resolution right now.

I believe the future is going to be in downloaded content.

Why would a studio sell you a disc for $20 when they can charge you $6 or more to rent it for a few days?

It costs them nothing but the bandwidth to send it to you.

No retail middle-man getting a piece of the pie, only pure profit.

It's a sad story, but it's not that far off.
Snoballz Thursday 8/21/2008 at 12:06 AM | 17228

The sound is a great improvement over DVD scores, but it's all about the lines of video resolution right now.

Why would a studio sell you a disc for $20 when they can charge you $6 or more to rent it for a few days?

I agree with this.

It will all probably go downloadable eventually but I do think hard copies will live on but only as collector pieces (Bisco will be one of those guys and probably me too, I'll hang on to a couple hard copies just because).
DaShape Thursday 8/21/2008 at 12:10 AM | 17230

amen to that i got an upconvert 1080i dvd player that rocks big time

but again im a HUGE movie collector and i watch a lot of them over and over and ill be damned if im gonna download the same movie everytime i want to watch it at 6 bucks a rental

if it s a download and yours forever well MAYBE so long as i can make a hard copy of it because i dont trust downloaded stored on a hard drive anything
Johnny Bisco Thursday 8/21/2008 at 12:14 AM | 17232
I kind of look at movies the way the muc industry is now. No one buys CD's everything is downloaded to your IPOD or another device. The same will happen with movies. You will be able to download and print any and all movies you want. Blu Rays will be on the shelf like everything else. Does anyone else not see this happening?
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 8/21/2008 at 01:07 AM | 17241
Well... After reading all these debates I have but a Handfull of things to say and I'll begin with, I didn't mean that Blu-Ray technology was available back in the days of Super 8's. I agree that I didn't make myself clear so I'll explain what I ment. What I ment was mplely this, Right now as it stands we are so ahead for technology that I'm sure we have it to make something FAR out and beond the Blu-Rays, but dede to stick with blu rays and drag it along making other things just a "little" better to make the Big bucks... and I used this as an example Super 8's, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray. Not drug out because thats newer stuff just coming out, But now we are advancing at an incredible speed for our technology and more than likely could create something WAY better than blu-ray, but dede to keep giving us little buy little to make the money...

On a differant note, I can see Movies becoming downloadable, but with all the Fans that are Movie collectors, I hardly doubt they could get something like this accomplished. I mean... Wouldn't the people have a say so? Look at all the Rental stores they would nk under and out of busness... In just one town they could get away with it, but when they do that to the entire planet well... Could result in some serious negative feedback... Nothing like this has ever happend before... Muc, YES,--BUTTTT there are still hard copies available and you can still purchase the Players... So... By eliminating hard copies all together I HIGHLY doubt it... "It's a Material World"... If people can't hold something in there hands to show where there money went well... They just wont buy it... I'd say even if they did try such a thing, it wouldn't work and it would go back to Hard copies...

As for me... Never will I buy downloadable movies... "Stupid"... I'm with Bisco!!!

--Ryan

Harry Warden Thursday 8/21/2008 at 01:27 AM | 17249
Wouldn't the people have a say so?

Unfortunately Ryan, probably not in the end :(
DaShape Thursday 8/21/2008 at 01:44 AM | 17255