Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Best and Worst Films of the HALLOWEEN Franchise

HorrorBid's "Countdown to Halloween" continues. First off I want to start by saying you probably won't agree with this list, that is fine. We all have different tastes and that is what's great about this community. If you don't agree mply make your own list and attach it to this article. We'd love to see what your favorites of the franchise are.

John Carpenter had no idea what kind of monster he was creating when he embarked on a little independent film project in 1978. Originally titled THE BABY-TTER MURDERS, the shoestring budget horror film renamed HALLOWEEN would change the face of the holiday forever spawning sequel after sequel and two re-imaginings. They never recaptured the magic of the original and the many sequels that followed proved that theory.

All films are cult clascs but to the general horror audience the franchise becomes a blur after Halloween 2 and don't get any of us started on Halloween (8) Resurrection. So with Halloween less than a week away we thought we'd put our favorites of the franchise in order of best to worst and we ask you to do the same. Obviously our list is going to be different than most of yours and we understand that but at the end of the day we can all agree Busta Rhymes should NEVER be in a horror film again.

Now onto the list ranked best to worst of the series.... 1. Halloween (1978)

The original Halloween not only launched the careers of Jamie Lee Curtis and John Carpenter, it started the slasher-horror genre. From the first introduction of the uber-creepy Michael Myers mask (William Shatner-inspired, to the tenon building soundtrack - the original Halloween has some of the creepiest, most memorable scenes in horror movie history. This is a no brainier and has to be first on everyone's list. How could it not be? 2. Halloween 2 (1981)

A no brainier right? Halloween 2 comes in second. The first sequel is right up there with the original Halloween when it comes to the creepy factor. Starting right where Halloween ended, It has an even weirder vibe to it as most of the movie is set in a hospital. Just thinking about Michael Myers looking through the hospital room window at Jamie Lee Curtis gives us the shivers. 3. Halloween H20 (1998) It took the studio 20 years to figure out how to make another successful sequel to the Halloween franchise: take the movie seriously and bring back Jamie Lee Curtis. Halloween H20 is a solid film with a smart script and cast (it turned Josh Hartnett into a star). All the nods to the original 2 films are brilliant placed. Watch this along with the original Halloween and Halloween 2 and you have a great trilogy.

4. Rob Zombie’s Halloween (2007)

After getting through the lengthy, yet disturbing, childhood of Michael Myers (which opens the film), Rob Zombie’s vion is spot-on. Michael Myers is big, mean, and evil! The movie does borrow some scenes directly from its predecessor (such as the bed sheet ghost scene), but adds a lot of freshness that was lacking. It will never beat the original but does blow all the sequels away less Halloween H20. Yes I said it.5. Halloween 6 (1995)

This is not a good movie. This is not even a good sequel. Why rank it so high? Because this is an over-the-top hack and slash film that I enjoy watching. There is an insane amount of violence, Paul Rudd stars, and the storyline features a cult that worships Michael Myers. The alternate veron of this (Halloween 666) is really the veron to watch, that is if you can find a copy. 6. Halloween 4 (1988) Poorly made, little to no suspense at all. The mask looked like a less detailed veron of the original Shatner mask yet they kept the de burns. When we interviewed George P. Wilbur (CLICK HERE TO READ) he said he HATED wearing the thing because it was so small and was the worst of the series. The film is still fun to watch late at night even though it gets a C- mply due to the ending being so good.7. Halloween 5 (1989)

When we began watching Halloween 5, I was convinced that it was going to save the world from part 4 and help to redeem the series...and we weren't displeased...until the clong act. Who the hell was the partially invible trench coat man with the brief case, the Man in Black? Without tting threw Halloween 6 which would follow, no one would ever have any idea who or what he is. I mean, did the world of film go stupid for a second and just forget about explaining that piece of the plot? Or were they just so desperate to figure out a new way to get Micheal "out of jail" (like he could have been "jailed") that they created this random character for that part alone. Sorry not a fan of H5 and the mask......blah!!!!

8. Rob Zombie's Halloween II (2009)Halloween 2 is Rob Zombie unleashed from the cinematic baggage of the Halloween franchise and bathing in his own blood. It’s visually dirty, gritty, and a total slash-fest. It's Halloween shot on the Devils Rejects set. Ade from the look, we were left disappointed. Laurie Strode (Scout Taylor-Compton) spends the whole movie stumbling around screaming. We didn’t buy into Michael Myers’ “white horse plus dead mother vions” either, yes he’s a deranged killer living in a fantasy world but it’s not Hallmark Land. With no Halloween theme and lack of holiday atmosphere we just couldn't get into this film and I'm a Rob Zombie fan. This is a tough pick to put at the bottom of the list but one we stand by. Some hardcore Halloween fans will be fatally injured by Dr. Loomis’s (Malcolm McDowell) character evolution. Donald Pleasence had to have literally rolled over in the grave. Enough said. I will say this, I did enjoy the "unrated" re-watch much better but I still can't rank this film higher due to a deep seeded feud with myself and the white horse.9. Halloween: Resurrection (2002)Here’s a horrible idea - let’s make a reality show on the Internet with Michael Myers! We guess they were going for a Blair Witch style with the web cams, but this movie just stinks! Also, Busta Rhymes should never be allowed near a horror movie franchise again. Those of you that hate Rob Zombie's veron go back and watch this and if you think this is better you have no idea what a decent film is. This shouldn't have left the cutting room floor.So how is there only 9 films on the list here when there is a total of 10 in the franchise? Well that's because I didn't include...

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982) The film completely takes Michael Myers out of the fray and focuses on an evil toy cooperation that wants to posses and kill the children of the world on Halloween night. After all Michael died in Halloween 2. With the poor reception Halloween 3 had at the box office though they decided to resurrect Michael Myers and thus the sequels were born. Tom Atkins is brilliant in this movie. Is it Citizen Kane? No. But it's a fun movie that we rank high in my must watch Halloween movie night films.

Now we've anted up and gave you our list. List's are not easy to do and often cause a reaction that is either potive or very, very, very negative. We gave you our list, you don't have to agree with it. Tell us where we went wrong or why we are right. List them out in order of your favorite to most hated. And most of all have a happy and safe Halloween!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 06:20 PM | 83789
pretty nice list there

I thik I'd go:

Halloween Halloween II Halloween III H20 RZ's Halloween Halloween IV Halloween VI Halloween V RZ's H2 Resurrection
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 07:25 PM | 83791
I really disagree with this list. My list would be as follows:

Halloween Halloween 2 Halloween 4 Rob Zombie's Halloween Halloween 5 Halloween 3 Halloween 6 Halloween H20 Halloween Resurrection Rob Zombie's Halloween 2
Pinhead Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:05 PM | 83796
Great list! The ONLY thing i would switch is H20 with Rob Zombies. If i were adding H3 to the list, i'd rank it second, but i see why you left it off.
AgnesItsMeBilly Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:41 PM | 83808
I would rate them as: 1)

Halloween(1978) 2)

Halloween II

3)

Zombie's Halloween 4)

Halloween 6 5)

Zombie's Halloween II 6)

Halloween III 7)

H2O 8)

Halloween 4 9)

Halloween 5

10000)

Halloween: Ressurection
DENMAN187 Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 10:03 PM | 83810
Mine goes as following: 1. Halloween 2. Halloween 2 3. H20 4. Halloween Resurrection (I know, I know, but it's number four for the first few minutes, the rest of the movie was crap) 5. Halloween 3 6. Rob Zombie's Halloween 7. Halloween 4 8. Halloween 5 9. Halloween 6 10. Rob Zombie's H2
AshPower23 Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 10:10 PM | 83811
I may get some heat for my opinion but whatever.

1. RZ Halloween 2. H2 3.Halloween 2 4. Halloween 6 5. H20 6. Halloween 4 7. Halloween 5 8. Halloween 9. Halloween Resurrection 10. Halloween 3 season of the whitch.
hm4life Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 10:33 PM | 83812
My list goes: 1.Halloween 2.Halloween 2 3.Rob Zombie's Halloween 4.Halloween H20 5.H2 6.Halloween 4

7.Halloween 5 8.Halloween 6 9.Halloween 3: Season of the Witch 10.Resurrection
Mitchell91 Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 11:02 PM | 83813
pretty nice list there

I thik I'd go:

Halloween Halloween II Halloween III H20 RZ's Halloween Halloween IV Halloween VI Halloween V RZ's H2 Resurrection

Kidtut Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 11:22 PM | 83815
JUSTIN YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH YOUR LINEUP
TheShape1188 Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 11:58 PM | 83817
Halloween 2

Halloween Halloween H20 Halloween 6 Halloween IV Halloween V (just for the memories) Resurrection (yeah I know, but it's so-bad-it's-hilarious (Busta Rhymes knows kung-fu!)) RZ Halloween H2
ObscureCinema101 Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 12:20 AM | 83819
My list: H1 H2 H20 H8 H4 H1 Remake H6 H5 H2 Remake
zuzek1996 Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 01:22 AM | 83821
I may get some heat for my opinion but whatever.

1. RZ Halloween 2. H2 3.Halloween 2 4. Halloween 6 5. H20 6. Halloween 4 7. Halloween 5 8. Halloween 9. Halloween Resurrection 10. Halloween 3 season of the whitch.

i must admit r, that list threw me for vertigo inducing loop lol
Matt_Molgaard Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 01:48 AM | 83824
Halloween Halloween 2 Halloween 4 Halloween 3 Halloween H20 Rob Zombie's Halloween Halloween 5 Halloween 6 Halloween Resurrection Rob Zombie's Halloween 2
ForallthingsHORROR Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 02:16 AM | 83827
Halloween Halloween H20 Halloween II Halloween 4 Halloween 5 Rob Zombie's Halloween Halloween 6 Rob Zombie's Halloween II Halloween Resurrection

I'm not putting Halloween III in my list as I don't think it should even be compared to the others. It's a fucking brilliant movie that should stand alone as a genuine gem in this genre.
joshk1986 Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 02:45 AM | 83828
Halloween 4 Halloween 2 Rzh1 Halloween

Halloween 6 Halloween 5 Rzh2 Halloween H20 Halloween resurrection

Halloween 3 sow
Takelifeent Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 03:05 AM | 83830
alright: 1. Halloween (original) 2. Halloween II 3, Halloween H20 4. Zombies Halloween II 5. Halloween 4 6. Zombies Halloween 7. Halloween 5 8. Halloween 3 9. Halloween 6

and completely stealing from DENMAN187.... 10000. Halloween Resurrection (shit show)
darkdeepwoods16 Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 05:35 AM | 83832
1. Halloween (1978) 2. Halloween II 3. H20 4. Halloween remake 5. Halloween 6 6. Halloween 4 7. Halloween 3 8. H2 9. Halloween resurrection 10. Halloween 5 (Michael cries, that blonde dude is super annoying and the mask/coveralls suck so it's the worst imo)

H2 and resurrection are pretty much tied though and same with H20 and the remake.
Sephit Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 07:00 AM | 83835
The most amazing thing about this article is the fact that no one is being a "troll" like you find on so many other tes. Kudos to HorrorBid for actually having a civilized debate about a list.
indygogo Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 07:28 AM | 83836
My list is all over the place:

Halloween Halloween H20 Rob Zombie's Halloween Halloween 2 Halloween 6 Halloween 4 Halloween 3 Halloween Resurrection Halloween 5 Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

I'd just like to say congratulations to Halloween 5.

Thanks to Rob Zombie's latest creation, you are no longer the red-headed stepchild of the franchise in my eyes.
gummi Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 07:32 AM | 83837
Halloween Halloween 4 H2 H20 RZ's Halloween Halloween 2 Halloween 5 Halloween 6

Resurrection

And Season of the Witch is just a whole other category for me. But I still love it.
suzys25 Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 01:53 PM | 83843
My list is all over the place:

I'd just like to say congratulations to Halloween 5.

Thanks to Rob Zombie's latest creation, you are no longer the red-headed stepchild of the franchise in my eyes.

Haha! That was funny dude and so true too!
Sephit Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 04:52 PM | 83847
zombies H2 belongs on the bottom and even further if it could

resurrection sucked balls but at least it didnt have a dumb white horse as an excuse to have his dumb wife in the movie again
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 07:26 PM | 83853
zombies H2 belongs on the bottom and even further if it could

resurrection sucked balls but at least it didnt have a dumb white horse as an excuse to have his dumb wife in the movie again

True... but Resurrection killed off Laurie Strode. Unforgivable given the great ending of H20!
joshk1986 Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 10:37 PM | 83868
1.Halloween(Original)---No Brainer 2.Halloween 2(Original)---No Brainer 3.Halloween H20 4.RZ's Halloween 2007---(Loved Tyler mane best Myers nce warlock and loved the costume degn)

5.Halloween 4 6.Halloween 5 (Horrible mask, worst in the series IMO) 7.Halloween 6 ( Did not like the whole curse and thorn bit, I prefer to think as Michael just being pure evil, an unstoppable force that cant be explained..Not due to being cursed) 8.Halloween 8( Busta ryhmes ung fake martial arts on Michael, C,mon) 9.RZ,s Halloween 2--- Way off the beaten path..At times you didnt know it was a Halloween film and hated the hobo look) 10.Halloween 3--- (Should of been a movie in its own without the Halloween title..No Myers, no good for me)
Caesar015 Thursday 10/06/2011 at 12:06 AM | 83874
HALLOWEEN HALLOWEEN II HALLOWEEN III HALLOWEEN IV RZ HALLOWEEN HALLOWEEN VI RZ HALLOWEEN II HALLOWEEN V HALLOWEEN VII HALLOWEEN VIII
ny ghoul Thursday 10/06/2011 at 01:58 AM | 83887
Halloween 1 Halloween 2 Halloween H20 RZ Halloween Halloween 5 Halloween 4 Halloween 6 Halloween 3 RZ Halloween 2 (such a disappointment)

Resurrection
SKAPEGOAT Thursday 10/06/2011 at 04:12 PM | 83908
For me the list is as follows:

1. John Carpenter's Halloween proves you can't beat the clascs. 2. Halloween II continues the story and concludes it (sort of). 3. RZ H2.I know, I know, a lot of people hate it, but I dig it more than 4. Rob Zombie's Halloween, which feels like two different movies spliced together. I think had it been an original idea, the concept would be even better. I could go on about Rob Zombie's efforts. 5. The curse of Michael Myers is not a great movie, but it just has something that is misng 6. from Halloween 4 and 7. Halloween 5 8. H20 and

9. Resurrection can kiss my ass!

Season of the Witch, to me, is a stand alone effort that tried to sail on the Halloween name and should've been released independent from the series. Great movie though.

The End.
the_vengeful_machete Thursday 10/06/2011 at 08:31 PM | 83920
1 - Halloween (Original) 2 - Halloween 4 (Amazing) 3 - Halloween 3 (Great) 4 - Halloween 5 (Great sequel.) 5 - Halloween H20 (Good movie, not enough kills though) 6 - Halloween 6 - (Producer's Cut was way better) 7 - Halloween 2 (Very overrated. Was decent but in no way amazing) 8 - Halloween (Zombie) 9 - Halloween 2 (Zombie) 10 - Halloween Resurrection (HORRIBLE)

JasonMyers216 Sunday 10/09/2011 at 04:49 AM | 84070
1 - Halloween (Original) 2 - Halloween 4 (Amazing) 3 - Halloween 3 (Great) 4 - Halloween 5 (Great sequel.) 5 - Halloween H20 (Good movie, not enough kills though) 6 - Halloween 6 - (Producer's Cut was way better) 7 - Halloween 2 (Very overrated. Was decent but in no way amazing) 8 - Halloween (Zombie) 9 - Halloween 2 (Zombie) 10 - Halloween Resurrection (HORRIBLE)Very interesting order here. I can't believe 2 is so low, I love part 2 and I am not that big of a fan of 5 so very interesting here.
Sephit Sunday 10/09/2011 at 07:04 PM | 84096