Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorrorBid's 31 Days of Horror: The Hills Run Red

We here at HorrorBid will be recommending one specific treasure for everyday of the month. The ultimate goal is mple; encourage the masses to seek out stellar films that fit the seasonal mold. While I’m certain plenty of our faithful readers will find some of these films predictable, or at the least familiar, we still feel as though a friendly reminder can go a long way towards renewed enjoyment.

On deck for October 4th, is one of the more enjoyable slashers to hit the market inde the last decade, the sadistic Dave Parker feature, The Hills Run Red. Although this flick has a handful of plot holes, some seriously suspect acting and some far out twists that don’t seem to fit anywhere within the grand puzzle, the movie somehow still manages to provide extreme entertainment.

The concept isn’t all too monumental, though there are some directional shifts that could certainly be labeled original. We’re dealing with a small handful of aspiring filmmakers who set out to locate one of the most taboo films in existence. It’s been said that the footage showcased in this mysterious picture is genuine snuff, and it’s rumored that extremely few have been afforded the chance to view the picture. Ah, the intrigue!

While I’m not real big on the whole “meta” craze, the concept is handled pretty well in this specific case. There’s some nice violence and brutal gore to take in, as well as one of the cooler masked murderers to surface in some time (there’s a particularly cool scene toward the end of the feature that totally comes out of nowhere, and is just about guaranteed to have you cheering for “Babyface”). William Sadler is certified bad ass as the pictures ultimate antagonist, and a disrobed Sophie Monk is almost euphoric (well, for me at least!).

Note: If you want to turn an evening into a truly enjoyable movie night, make it a double feature and let “Midnight Movie” precede this awkward beauty

http://youtu.be/R3z4avzVKJU
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 07:55 PM | 83793
This is another I didn't really care for.

It was ok but I think the plot holes irked me too much.
Ryze Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 08:02 PM | 83794
I agree with Ryze. I watched this about a

year ago because a friend said it was good

and it seemed very boring and stupid to me.
Pinhead Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:01 PM | 83795
well, i dig the shit out of it lol

definitely not perfect, but if the final act didnt entertain you... well... i really don't know how to comment on that, because that shit was just wild lol

this one was definitely about as fun as most the recent slashers to pop up (hatchet, laid to rest, dark ride, midnight movie, leslie vernon etc) for me; not the best, but not the worst of the pack
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:14 PM | 83797
This is one of those flicks i desperately wanted to end about 40 minutes into it. This movie felt very - ummmm - Blair Witch 2ish, or something.
AgnesItsMeBilly Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:17 PM | 83798

definitely not perfect, but if the final act didnt entertain you... well... i really don't know how to comment on that

You acknowledged the plot holes and crappy twists in your write-up. The final act was full of them.
AgnesItsMeBilly Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:20 PM | 83799
This is one of those flicks i desperately wanted to end about 40 minutes into it. This movie very - ummmm - Blair Witch 2ish, or something.

a very interesting statement condering how many people prefer TBWP 2 over the original (I dont personally, though I can see the qualities of two, especially if you detach the association of the first - that's one that really needed a different title).
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:21 PM | 83800

definitely not perfect, but if the final act didnt entertain you... well... i really don't know how to comment on that

You acknowledged the plot holes and crappy twists in your write-up. The final act was full of them.

oh it's full of them alright, but it's all played so over the top it's fun as hell.

Realistically, if I were only covering perfect films (maybe what some expected?) for the 31 days of horror, all everyone would read about is the same 30 or so flicks that everyone alive has seen, knows inde and out and talks about on a daily bas anyway, which would certainly take the fun out of this series.
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:25 PM | 83802
^ i think i've been living under a rock because i was under the impreson that nobody liked Blair Witch 2. (Although,i find that many poeple hate both or haven't even seen the second)

So if you like Blair Witch 2 and Hills Run Red, do you see where i'm going with that comparison? I might dislike them for the same reasons you adore them.
AgnesItsMeBilly Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:26 PM | 83803
oh shit loads of people liked BWP2, and like I said, I certainly prefer the first to the second, but the second does indeed have a longtime following.

All I'm saying is expect the unexpected (for the most part) out of this run, because it won't be all the holy grail films featured daily. I gotta keep people guesn! lmao
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:31 PM | 83804

oh it's full of them alright, but it's all played so over the top it's fun as hell.

Realistically, if I were only covering perfect films (maybe what some expected?) for the 31 days of horror, all everyone would read about is the same 30 or so flicks that everyone alive has seen, knows inde and out and talks about on a daily bas anyway, which would certainly take the fun out of this series.

LOL. I totally get it, dude. Its such a slippery slope with horror as well; because there are soooo many duds that people either like for being "over the top", B-ish, or they find some intangible quality from the film that they can stand by. Everybody has a different threshold for the bad, and we all have certain lines that we will not cross.

For instance: I completely adore Sleepaway Camp, but am not a huge fan of F13th. The two films are both sooo bad from a critical standpoint, and very milar in plot, but there is something in Sleepaway Camp that i love and just can't put my finger on it. Many people would feel the exact oppote. In the end, It all comes down to personal preference.

Hills Run Red (for me) just crosses a line of bad that sucks all the enjoyment out of it.

I WAS PISSED TOO, because the opening scene of the movie is so twisted and creepy! maybe it just pumped me up for a letdown.
AgnesItsMeBilly Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:35 PM | 83806
yeah i see what you're saying for sure. Reminds me of the disdain The Burning receives while The Prowler is so adored. Opinions can vary so drastically it's insane, and in the end, 90% of the time, the movies are technical blunders anyway ha
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/04/2011 at 09:38 PM | 83807
Well believe it or not, I liked this film a lot better than Laid to Rest. This one felt a lot more fun, the mask was badass and I thought the over the top ending was cool to see because it felt a lot different than most endings nowadays. The acting in Laid to Rest was worse than any moments of bad acting in THRR. I agree it's not a perfect film (not even close) but it wasn't bad.
Sephit Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 06:39 AM | 83834
I enjoyed this movie very much.
hm4life Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 07:25 PM | 83852
Yeah, I really did not like this movie. It was pretty bad, and I've seen a lot of bad movies!
skykey0506 Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 09:24 PM | 83860
While I’m not real big on the whole “meta” craze, the concept is handled pretty well in this specific case. There’s some nice violence and brutal gore to take in, as well as one of the cooler masked murderers to surface in some time (there’s a particularly cool scene toward the end of the feature that totally comes out of nowhere, and is just about guaranteed to have you cheering for “Babyface”). William Sadler is certified bad ass as the pictures ultimate antagonist, and a disrobed Sophie Monk is almost euphoric (well, for me at least!).

I will agree though. That mask was scary.
Ryze Thursday 10/06/2011 at 12:35 AM | 83878