Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorrorBid's 31 Days of Horror: Black Christmas (1974)

We here at HorrorBid will be recommending one specific treasure for everyday of the month. The ultimate goal is mple; encourage the masses to seek out stellar films that fit the seasonal mold. While I’m certain plenty of our faithful readers will find some of these films predictable, or at the least familiar, we still feel as though a friendly reminder can go a long way towards renewed enjoyment.

On deck for October 5th, is a film that fits today’s Northern California weather perfectly; dark, damp, quiet, and near calm. The topic for today is the terrifying slasher that inspired John Carpenter’s masterpiece, Halloween, none other than Bob Clark’s 1974 slice of mastery, Black Christmas.

I’m under the impreson that I need not break down the gist of the film, as it’s likely virtually everyone to ever scan Horrorbid.com has seen it, but I’ll do so just the same, on the off chance that you’ve ignored a true treasure all these years. Black Christmas focuses on a sorority house tormented by a deranged caller with a sadistic and perverted streak courng through his veins. What the hell could be worse than that? How about planting said psychopath directly in the attic of the same home from which he’s calling?This flick has served as one of the most influential genre efforts of the 1970’s, and rightfully so: It’s a pitch perfect film that blends both the Christmas spirit and the horrors of Halloween seamlessly. Reginald H. Morris nails the cinematography wonderfully, and Clark’s direction is so precise, and so realistic an unnerving ebb brims in the psyche from opening to credits to final frame.

If you want to experience a slasher that altered the landscape of our beloved genre, find Bob Clark’s original Black Christmas, and get ready to learn what fear truly is. Suspense kills, and Bob proved it over 35 years ago.http://youtu.be/ysBKrRtBuag
Matt_Molgaard Wednesday 10/05/2011 at 11:34 PM | 83872
Definitely!! OMG, I love this movie. Olivia Hussey is overacting but it's awesome. And Andrea Martin and her fro. Lol. SO much better than that inbred Jaundice remake. Ugh...
Ryze Thursday 10/06/2011 at 12:32 AM | 83876
G.O.A.T.
AgnesItsMeBilly Thursday 10/06/2011 at 02:22 AM | 83889
This was an okay film. The only thing I did not like about it was those noises the killer was making when he was in the attic. I kept asking myself 'is he laughing or yelling?' Good storyline, the house mother needed rehab, if you hide your booze in books and toilet tanks, then you've got a problem... lol
horror3747 Friday 10/07/2011 at 09:58 PM | 83985
i think you lost me at "this is an okay film" lol

pure brilliance here and theres no 2 ways about it - top 3 slasher of all time, unarguably.
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 10/08/2011 at 01:33 PM | 84025
I just couldn't really get into it
horror3747 Saturday 10/08/2011 at 02:32 PM | 84028
i have the oppote problem, i turn it on, i cant get OUT of it lmao

so many golden moments - the fellatio scene STILL slays me!
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 10/08/2011 at 02:49 PM | 84029

pure brilliance here and theres no 2 ways about it - top 3 slasher of all time, unarguably.

This is exactly how i feel. However, i'm partial to believe Black Christmas is the greatest slasher of all time, and a top 3 for the horror genre as a whole. Absolutely timeless. The screenplay is amazing, the cinematography is colorful and vibrant, and somehow at the same time remains dark and desolate. How Bob Clark was able to seamlessly mesh two polar oppotes in terms of atmosphere is beyond me.

I watch this film at least twice a year and ALWAYS make sure to watch it on Christmas Eve. Nothing quite gets me into the

Christmas spirit the same way Black Christmas can. I really can't praise the film enough.

What saddens me is how many modern "horror fans" label this film as "boring". (yes i have heard many people claim the film has made their eyelids heavy) I would argue that the same people have no idea what horror really is and i would find it imposble to take movie recommendations from them. My attitude is bacally, if you don't like Black Christmas, FUCK YOU. lol!
AgnesItsMeBilly Saturday 10/08/2011 at 04:33 PM | 84032
^ oh yeah and Margot Kidder was an absolute babe in this.
AgnesItsMeBilly Saturday 10/08/2011 at 04:35 PM | 84034

This is exactly how i feel. However, i'm partial to believe Black Christmas is the greatest slasher of all time, and a top 3 for the horror genre as a whole. Absolutely timeless. The screenplay is amazing, the cinematography is colorful and vibrant, and somehow at the same time remains dark and desolate. How Bob Clark was able to seamlessly mesh two polar oppotes in terms of atmosphere is beyond me.

I watch this film at least twice a year and ALWAYS make sure to watch it on Christmas Eve. Nothing quite gets me into the

Christmas spirit the same way Black Christmas can. I really can't praise the film enough.

What saddens me is how many modern "horror fans" label this film as "boring". (yes i have heard many people claim the film has made their eyelids heavy) I would argue that the same people have no idea what horror really is and i would find it imposble to take movie recommendations from them. My attitude is bacally, if you don't like Black Christmas, FUCK YOU. lol I totally agree! Most people want action right away and they can't appreciate films that have a slow burn like this film and another personal favorite of mine The Thing (JC's Remake). It doesn't really surprise me though with everyone having the internet, muc and whatever they want pretty much at he palm of their hands (smart phones). Hell I own one myself but I can definitely appreciate films like this and I would rank it 2nd to Halloween.
Sephit Saturday 10/08/2011 at 05:50 PM | 84038
I will agree it is slow but it's a good slow. I love this film and would recommend it.

I will say it is a little boring but once Billy starts killing people it sucks you in. I LOVE this film. (and definitely better than that crappy-ass remake, though I am a Mary Elizabeth Winstead fan. ^.^) Which reminds me, *note to self* buy The Thing tickets.
Ryze Monday 10/17/2011 at 03:56 AM | 85271