Forums Horror Movie Talk
Should There Be A Sleepaway Camp Reboot? We Want To Hear Your Opinion

Sleepaway Camp is one of my favorite slasher flicks that I really want to see rebooted. It's not the best slasher film ever but the climax is what made this movie stand out! The ending hasn't left my mind nce I first seen it! I'm really interested in what direction they could go if it was rebooted. The original wasn't THAT great to begin with so that's why I wouldn't have a problem with it being remade. I know that there was suppose to be a final sequel, Sleepaway Camp Reunion, but all the latest info we heard from that were only rumors. I

do want to see a concluon to the entire story but at the same time I want them to start over. It would be great to see Sleepaway Camp redone with a bigger budget, better writing, and some better actors. Maybe even keep the original ending and add something extra on. They must do it now!

CleanCut Saturday 10/08/2011 at 02:48 AM | 83997
Films only get remade if there's a good chance that they can make money. I think audiences today are tired of horror films out in the woods with a crazy slasher. We already have a billion of them, so I doubt it would happen. I'd be up for it however, but I'm not a producer sadly.
Zeeboe Saturday 10/08/2011 at 12:09 PM | 84023
To me, it makes more sense to remake the more obscure horror movies of yesteryear than to reboot the ones with more staying power, such as Friday the 13th or Halloween. Little kids know who Jason is, and most have never even watched a Friday the 13th. Same with Michael Myers and Freddy Krueger. Even Leatherface. And that was before all the remakes.

WIth that said, movies like Sleepaway Camp could use a good reimagining. It's a little known gem that hasn't quite breached the main stream. How many 8-yr-olds do you know walk around trick-r-treating as Angela? So sure, why the hell not?

I'd like to see Funhouse remade. Hell, I even have a plot idea for that one. Too bad I'm not a Hollywood scribe.
the_vengeful_machete Sunday 10/09/2011 at 01:11 PM | 84077
It would be interesting if they remade SLEEPAWAY CAMP. It's like giving the films a chance to get noticed. Not many people hear about theses movies anymore
horror3747 Sunday 10/09/2011 at 04:50 PM | 84093
really torn on the idea of this one. they could make so many improvements it's absurd. but all the hokeyness of the original was what made it memorable.

tough one...
Matt_Molgaard Monday 10/10/2011 at 05:11 PM | 84351
To me, it makes more sense to remake the more obscure horror movies of yesteryear than to reboot the ones with more staying power, such as Friday the 13th or Halloween. Little kids know who Jason is, and most have never even watched a Friday the 13th. Same with Michael Myers and Freddy Krueger. Even Leatherface. And that was before all the remakes.

WIth that said, movies like Sleepaway Camp could use a good reimagining. It's a little known gem that hasn't quite breached the main stream. How many 8-yr-olds do you know walk around trick-r-treating as Angela? So sure, why the hell not?

I'd like to see Funhouse remade. Hell, I even have a plot idea for that one. Too bad I'm not a Hollywood scribe. Good Point. Also, Funhouse is already being made in 3d lol
CleanCut Tuesday 10/11/2011 at 10:17 PM | 84550
This is a great subject CleanCut. I'm glad you brought it up.

Sleepaway Camp made me nearly piss myself when I saw the ending. And remember now, I was only 12 then. (shit, I just gave my age away)

Yes, SC would be a great reboot, but it would take a very good writer, budget, etc. as stated.

One thing I wouldn't want to see is too many name actors, but fresh faces of people who had some real acting chops. Felissa of course should be in it somewhere, and maybe some familiar faces that would stand out in smaller roles.

I'm up for it. The question is...would it still work nce we already have the "Return to Sleepaway Camp"? Or...should it wait for a spell?
aceofspades70 Tuesday 10/11/2011 at 11:36 PM | 84555
I think you'd deal with a wave of ticked off angry fans of the older one. They'd come crawling out of the woodwork, and be insulting it to death -

Then when the film came out, the majority of internet fans would nit-pick it - As far as the mainstream casual fans go - Hmm. Honestly, I can see it doing decent at the box office for the first week, but it wouldn't stand the test of time and reach icon status. There's a reason why the first one, along with the sequels never did make it.

I also think the ending would need to be changed so older fans wouldn't spoil the film, and so they too can be shocked, which will be hard to do.
Zeeboe Wednesday 10/12/2011 at 01:32 PM | 84790
I think you'd deal with a wave of ticked off angry fans of the older one. They'd come crawling out of the woodwork, and be insulting it to death -

Then when the film came out, the majority of internet fans would nit-pick it - As far as the mainstream casual fans go - Hmm. Honestly, I can see it doing decent at the box office for the first week, but it wouldn't stand the test of time and reach icon status. There's a reason why the first one, along with the sequels never did make it.

I also think the ending would need to be changed so older fans wouldn't spoil the film, and so they too can be shocked, which will be hard to do. Naw, I think the majority of Sleepaway Camp fans wants a remake. But you're right about how tough it would be to do a new ending for the old fans and the new audience.
CleanCut Thursday 10/13/2011 at 11:34 PM | 85034
I think a re-make would be interesting., in hopes that it does the original justice (which is a hard enough feat) --I too liked this film very much, I was a little turned off during the first few minutes, due to the production quality and overall 'look' of the film (keep in mind it was made in 1983) it almost has a bit of a Degras Junior High feel to it. (the original for those of you that remember) I too felt that the ending was disturbing, and really MADE the whole film worth while. Creepy stuff! That being said, I feel that this film has enough to work with to produce a successful remake (provided the right producer/director is chosen)
Nokturnas Monday 1/09/2012 at 05:18 PM | 89178
Nope. The series is dead.
Jerry Blake Tuesday 1/10/2012 at 05:36 PM | 89239