Forums Horror Movie Talk
Suggestion for Classic Friday discussion

Here's a question I came up with that would be good fodder for discuson during Clasc Fridays and could carry on in this thread:

Do you prefer the clascs to modern horror and what are the reasons for your preference?
lblambert Friday 8/22/2008 at 11:10 PM | 17390
i prefer the clascs

reason why????????

they were ORIGINAL

they showed JUST enough to make you say "man thats fucked up"

i mean come on murders in the rue morgue had some VERY distyrbing scenes when you take them for what they are
Johnny Bisco Friday 8/22/2008 at 11:12 PM | 17392
I'm kind of torn.

The clascs . . . .well they are clasc LOL.

They paved the road and laid the foundation for what was yet to come.

I really love some of the modern Horror that comes around but you always have to remember that it would never have existed if it weren't for the originators.

I'm not sure you can love modern without tipping your hat to the Clascs.

The horror genre needs (and has) a good sturdy foundation to hold up a lot of the crap that's been released lately.

When it comes to modern horror, I say you get 1 good film for every 10 bad ones (but I love that 1 good one).

and like Bisco said about Originality.

That goes a Loooonnnnggggg way.
DaShape Monday 8/25/2008 at 04:27 PM | 17523
When it comes to modern horror, I say you get 1 good film for every 10 bad ones (but I love that 1 good one).

I know what you mean Joel but this raises another question. Were a higher percentage of horror movies good back then or is it a matter of the bad ones having been forgotten over time?
lblambert Tuesday 8/26/2008 at 06:23 PM | 17593
oh they churned out a bunch of garbage back then as well BUT at least it wasnt 50 remakes and 1 decent original movie per year

at least the garbage was original!
Johnny Bisco Tuesday 8/26/2008 at 11:00 PM | 17622
good point, if you're going to watch garbage . . .at least be something original so I actually can make it through the whole thing .. . when they remake crap and it's still crap I often wonder how many starving children in some 3rd world country that film's budget could have fed (oh yeah, low blow to Hollywood

)
DaShape Thursday 8/28/2008 at 01:07 AM | 17702
I guess for me it depends on the film in question. Lets say for example Sweeney Todd and TCM.

I would rather watch the Recent ST and TCM films over the old ones. Now say Halloween. Definitely the old ones (preferably the first2) over any of the newer ones.

It all depends on series/film(s) in question.
Petronix Friday 9/05/2008 at 08:58 PM | 18329
when they remake crap and it's still crap I often wonder how many starving children in some 3rd world country that film's budget could have fed (oh yeah, low blow to Hollywood

)

LMAO...

kweandee Saturday 11/08/2008 at 03:17 AM | 22850
Yeah, Joel is right. Crap is crap don't matter how many times you remake it. I thought, guys, that clascs make that thing on us: take us to the past, remembering a time when we get scared with Regan's turning head or Stay Puft walking down the streets...

I loved the clascs, and will keep loving while a REAL remake from a clasc movie aren't made. We got to wait until february 2009 to see if a F13th clasc could be remaked and keep his essence. I have seen good things about it. Good actors, like Derek Mears, with pason to do it, and many fans putting their hope on it.

Until today, I never ever liked one damn remake.
LÜCKMANN Saturday 11/08/2008 at 05:02 PM | 22881
I loved the clascs, and will keep loving while a REAL remake from a clasc movie aren't made. We got to wait until february 2009 to see if a F13th clasc could be remaked and keep his essence.

Sorry to ngle you out here Glauco but this is the type of thing that bugs me...slasher flicks are NOT clasc horror

lblambert Saturday 11/08/2008 at 06:35 PM | 22889
I totally agree with Bisco, that originality and clascs go hand in hand. The clascs stand out as clascs, and are vastly regarded as such by horror fans.
Myers31TKD Saturday 11/08/2008 at 11:32 PM | 22900
Well, I see what you said now... BUT, anyway, slashers or not, a clasc movie is that one that marks a time, isn't? As Exorcist did, The lence of the Lambs did. Maybe you're talking about clasc to old school films, from the 60s, 70s, but we can't say that F13th isn't a clasc from horror only 'cos was made in 80s...

I liked a lot of Nosferatu, from 1922, that is a good clasc film, from the horror genre, but can't say that was a greeeeeat movie... It was good, for his time.
LÜCKMANN Monday 11/10/2008 at 10:05 AM | 23007
I love the clascs, but my favorite time for Horror was the late Seventies early 80's.

I just love the O.G. Slasher films.

But what really bothers me about modern horror is the lack of suspense and heavy devotion to gore...

Hitchcock, Carpenter (H1 style Carpenter), and Ridley Scott used it to great effect, suspense was key to the success of their films.

Most modern horror films throw that out the window and just try to disturb their audience.

I just miss the days when it was about artistry and carefully crafted scares.

Clasc Horror delivers on many aspects there for me.

But of course Halloween and films of that era will always have my heart because I grew up with them.
DarkArtist81 Friday 11/14/2008 at 05:20 AM | 23591