Forums Horror Movie Reviews
A Nightmare on Elm Street (Remake) : The Review That Needs To Be Read

Hello, I'm DeathsBestFriend and now I will be reviewing the Nightmare on Elm Street remake.

I thought the Nightmare on Elm Street remake was a good remake for not having Robert Englund in it.

And for being newer I thought this movie put spectacular graphics to the table.

When I first heard about it I thought it could have been ruined. But, when I saw it I was pretty surprised in how well the movie was made. It had a well plotted out storyline too it adding more to the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

For having adding more to the storyline, I thought the story went well and kept the legend going for a more nister feel to it taking out the comedy and the good time part to the old nightmare on elm streets.

This movie came at it with more of a realistic look too it.

I'm not one to really care for cgi, I thought the cgi part of this movie had a well played out look to it.

Its visuals were done well as were its graphics.

The acting in this movie was well played.

But, too an extent.

I thought they picked a good actress for Nancy and she really kept this movie going with her facial disgust and her masterful acting performance.

The story really was more in depth though adding more to the series giving it more outline to how screwed up Freddy was before he became the monster he is now. As far as the Freddy role I feel a lot of people can actually play Freddy especially with the whole cgi look to it.

Overall I thought that the Nightmare on Elm Street remake had its moments. I give it a "EPIC" title and a Overall score: 10/10

Screw the Grammy's

DeathsBestFriendScrew the Grammy's
DeathsBestFriend Wednesday 10/12/2011 at 12:07 AM | 84557
Every time i watch it i like it less and less and I tried to like it. 5/10

CGI = bad

Nancy = Boring

Freddy = ok Everybody else = don't even remember them
DoubleshotJ Wednesday 10/12/2011 at 03:55 AM | 84594
as for this movie it made up for the crap that came after the 3rd movie and I really dig this remake and IMHO its kinda overly hated.
hm4life Wednesday 10/12/2011 at 04:49 AM | 84607
I literally cocked my head to the de when I saw your rating for this film, but heck everyone is entitled to their opinion! :)
BloodyAdored Wednesday 10/12/2011 at 06:27 AM | 84639
as for this movie it made up for the crap that came after the 3rd movie and I really dig this remake and IMHO its kinda overly hated.

it definitely receives some unwarranted hatred. Ironically enough, the points the TS lists as qualities serve as most of the film's downfall.

the CGI is okay, but it launches with the bedroom/wall scene, and that is the epitome of awful CGI. It literally look like it climbed straight out of a student film. It picks up from there, but it's tough to shake that initial scene and the negative impact it has on the opticals.

The story itself offers some cool new additions, but ultimately the pacing is botched. I chalk this up to Bayers inexperience, and still, give the fact that it's his first feature film, feel he did a pretty fair job.

The acting isn't great. Kyle Gallner does a great job, but that's almost part of the problem; he outshines Rooney Mara as Nancy. There's another issue for me. Rooney was only decent. The acting is well executed, but Mara just doesn't bring the personality and charm that Langenkamp brought to the role and that leaves her tting in the background, playing dekick to Gallner's character.

Loved Haley as Freddy. He was excellent, and i loved the makeup; so much more realistic than the original makeup.

Overall, I conder it a pretty good remake. I think the flick could have been stronger, but it could have been a whole hell of a lot worse. I think of it like this; in an alternate universe where no past Nightmare films existed, I would enjoy that for a first installment. It's certainly creepy, and it's got some kick ass moments.

Not as fantastic as part one, but arguably superior to every other franchise effort sans 3 and New Nightmare.
Matt_Molgaard Wednesday 10/12/2011 at 03:17 PM | 84802
Haley was phenominal; Freddy's "look" was awesome; the movie had a good look and atmosphere;

it ends there for me. It wasn't scary enough or bloody enough and I thought the acting was pretty lame. I want to know how large the group was that they plucked those actors from. They were the best?? Anyway, it wasn't good but it wasn't bad either. 5/10
ny ghoul Wednesday 10/12/2011 at 05:38 PM | 84813
I also really liked this movie (you liked it more than I did, though), but I don't understand how this is "The Review That Must Be Read." It's a good review, but it's not making me rethink my purpose in life or anything.
ObscureCinema101 Wednesday 10/12/2011 at 07:06 PM | 84817

it definitely receives some unwarranted hatred. Ironically enough, the points the TS lists as qualities serve as most of the film's downfall.

the CGI is okay, but it launches with the bedroom/wall scene, and that is the epitome of awful CGI. It literally look like it climbed straight out of a student film. It picks up from there, but it's tough to shake that initial scene and the negative impact it has on the opticals.

The story itself offers some cool new additions, but ultimately the pacing is botched. I chalk this up to Bayers inexperience, and still, give the fact that it's his first feature film, feel he did a pretty fair job.

The acting isn't great. Kyle Gallner does a great job, but that's almost part of the problem; he outshines Rooney Mara as Nancy. There's another issue for me. Rooney was only decent. The acting is well executed, but Mara just doesn't bring the personality and charm that Langenkamp brought to the role and that leaves her tting in the background, playing dekick to Gallner's character.

Loved Haley as Freddy. He was excellent, and i loved the makeup; so much more realistic than the original makeup.

Overall, I conder it a pretty good remake. I think the flick could have been stronger, but it could have been a whole hell of a lot worse. I think of it like this; in an alternate universe where no past Nightmare films existed, I would enjoy that for a first installment. It's certainly creepy, and it's got some kick ass moments.

Not as fantastic as part one, but arguably superior to every other franchise effort sans 3 and New Nightmare.

I do agree about the CGI and Nancy Character was kinda stupid but the things that I loved about this remake was they made Freddy dark and creepy again because Nightmare 4-freddy's dead made him into a ass clown and where I laugh instead taking it as a horror movie.

its not perfect but its not the worst thing I saw.
hm4life Wednesday 10/12/2011 at 09:47 PM | 84828
I think they spent a lot of time making freddy look different and that was kinda cool but I wish they went back to the all red sleeves from part 1, that would have been badass. That being an example of them not taking chances, the kills were super boring and so expected this time around. I swear everytime Freddy would kill someone, it would be through the stomach. Maybe once or twice but damn like every kill in the movie was through the stomach! The flashback of Freddy getting burned was super cheesy! When Freddy runs at the screen on fire, it was some of the worst CGI, well compared to the super terrible CGI of Freddy coming through the wall

What they should have done was either do the clasc scenes better or at least as good, not make them worse! Wtf? I went with a girl to see this and we both wore Freddy sweaters all stoked and then when we walked out, we were both super dissapointed and almost felt embarrassed wearing the sweaters because of that remake. It sucks because Jackie spent a lot of time learning how to make the voice authentic to burn victims and they studied burn victims for his look and the new glove was kinda cool looking but they halfed ass the movie. I guess you're right though, it certainly was a lot better than most of the sequels but they should have done what they did with the Friday remake and pay homage to the first 3 or 4 films in the franchise. If they would have mixed the creepiness of the first film with the creativeness of part 3, it would have been awesome. Oh well, it was a nice effort. This fan made trailer is a lot better than the remake though, check it out guys! http://youtu.be/jxPmOP1_HIY
Sephit Thursday 10/13/2011 at 07:29 AM | 84950
I thought that Freddy were the only good things about this movie.

My only beef with Platinum Dunes is that they always seem to focus so hard about reinventing the slasher in (insert remake here), that they forget there was an entire movie shot AROUND them.
DrCam Sunday 10/16/2011 at 03:22 AM | 85185
Although I agree, nothing beats the original, I didn't find the remake terrible. However, I didn't find it fantastic either. Kind of on the fence about this one. It was still a great experience to see 'Freddy' on the screen again though!
Nokturnas Friday 1/20/2012 at 03:55 PM | 89744