Forums Off Topic
Salem, MA: A Touch of Real-Life Historic Horror

With all the buzz about Rob Zombie’s upcoming Lords of Salem, I thought I might share some photos from my recent trip to the real Salem, MA. In 1992, a memorial was erected to the twenty men and women who were executed as witches in Salem during the witch hysteria of 1692. Twenty benches were placed, bearing the name of each executed innocent, the date of their death and even the manner. I personally was surprised at the number of men; I had known about John Proctor and Giles Corey (the one victim not hanged - he was pressed to death beneath a wooden board, on which heavier and heavier stones were placed), but didn’t know there were so man other men who were victimized. The memorial is placed alongde the cemetery known as the old Burying Place, where Salem’s dead were buried dating back to the first half of the 17th century. Convicted as witches, the executed were not allowed a decent burial in consecrated ground and their remains are mostly lost, except for those of Rebecca Nurse, whose family secreted her body away to their estate to be buried in an unmarked grave in their family plot.

Some asshat wrote on the gn. People like that ought to be dragged out into the street and flogged.

October is a big month in Salem and they have loads of creepy activities planned, from psychic fairs to haunted houses to films in the park. Definitely a niche vacation spot if you have the time and the dime to check it out!
dew Friday 10/14/2011 at 03:11 AM | 85061
thanks for sharing your pics! I was there last spring, its become more "touristy" over the years but man, the aura that place has? wow. especially around the cemetery. I love it.
ny ghoul Friday 10/14/2011 at 12:36 PM | 85074