Forums Horror Movie Talk
EXCLUSIVE: HorrorBid Interviews SPFX, Design, Mask & Sculpture Legend Wayne Toth

http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/1096.

HorrorBid: How did you get started in the buness of special effects and prop making?

Wayne Toth: I started at a young age just playing sound with materials I could find, not knowing at all what i was doing of course. After a while I started figuring out the proper way to do some of it, but when I was about 14 i met Ed Edmunds from Distortions, who also lived in Colorado. I vited Ed's shop for about a week, where he showed me how to do a full head mask, which he went on to add to his catalog that year, just being kind I'm sure - he's a great guy!

After high school I moved to California and attended a short makeup school program that is no longer around, but it helped my build a portfolio that I took around to FX shops until I got my first job with John Buechler - who gave many an aspiring FX artist their start.

Growing up I have been fascinated with horror nce I can remember watching films such as Halloween, Night Of The Living Dead, Last Man On Earth; there are really to many to list. But John Carpenter and George Romero films stand far above the rest.HorrorBid: Please tell the Bidites what lead to your pason for the horror genre and or the Halloween holiday? Also, if you have any fond childhood memories or experiences that may have sparked your love for the hobby?

Wayne Toth: I loved Halloween and horror movies nce I can remember, so Halloween was of course my favorite time of year. We always had a blast making costumes and scaring our friends as much as posble. One year we really scared a timid friend of ours by putting a mask on a wig head at the tip of a broom handle and banging it against his second story bedroom window until we heard him scream!

mple, yet effective!HorrorBid: Who or whom was the biggest influence in your life and how did that effect who you are today?

Wayne Toth: I would say my parents, they never discouraged any creativity, which let me exercise all of my ideas, no matter how much mayhem it caused!HorrorBid: What do you do in your spare time when you are not doing FX work or something work related.

Wayne Toth: Im not sure how to answer nce I don't have any spare time, working for yourself is much more involving than working for someone else, and nce I enjoy what i do it doesn't really feel much like work. I usually try to catch up on some movies!HorrorBid: What was your first project and or mask making experience? Were you a natural or did it take time to hone your skills? How much have you learned nce then?

Wayne Toth: My first masks were crude of course, but the biggest hurdles were the engineering and nature of molds, and getting familiar with the materials. Once you get past that stuff, it lets you just be creative and have fun.HorrorBid: What project have you worked on in the past that you would conder your favorite?

Wayne Toth: Most recently I enjoyed Rob Zombie's Halloween 2, we made a lot of neat stuff, and collaborating with Rob is always a great experience - theres a real sense of involvement with the project that makes it very fulfilling.HorrorBid: How has being a husband, father, or being in a relationship affected your work and are they supportive of what you do?

Wayne Toth: nce my wife is a workaholic also, it works out fine!HorrorBid: What projects have you accomplished in your career that you feel really cemented your legacy in the buness.

Wayne Toth: I think some of the characters from House of 1000 Corpses have really seemed to live on for a lot of people, Dr. Satan is my personal favorite.HorrorBid: Of all the films you've worked on which was your favorite and why?

Wayne Toth: Its really hard to pick a favorite, sometimes you're fond of the work, sometimes its the film itself, but a lot of it is just the experiences and the people you work with that make it great.HorrorBid: The vast majority of your work has been in horror films.

What's the attraction and how have you become the go-to-guy for Horror FX?

Wayne Toth: Monster are the fun part, gore isn't too appealing other than the technical de of engineering gags and coming up with new ideas, luckily I haven't had to make many fake animals or other less interesting stuff!HorrorBid: With all the independent artists out there creating different projects and bootleg masks. For the record. How do you stand on anyone copying your work whether it is ung pics for references or recasting anything you’ve personally made to make a profit?Wayne Toth: If someone wants to make their own mask for themselves its fine, we all did that sort of thing - recreating your favorite monsters, but guys that sell bootlegs without licenng are really not doing the right thing.HorrorBid: What upcoming project if any can you share with us? And what are your plans for the upcoming year?

Wayne Toth: Im not sure whats up for this year, I've been doing some degns for a few things i cant really discuss, but they could be very cool! No Halloween 3D plans in the works though.To vit Wayne Toth's studio follow this link:

http://www.waynetothfx.com
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 10/15/2011 at 08:54 PM | 85165