Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Troma Would Be Proud! CHILLERAMA (2011) Review

Chillerama has been on my radar ever nce I saw the trailer, which made it look like the horror throwback to end all horror throwbacks. Cheesy practical effects, ridiculous plot lines, and bacally everything great you would find in your average campy retro horror flick. Bedes, with such talents as Adam Rifkin (Psycho Cop 2), Tim Sullivan (2001 Maniacs), Adam Green (Hatchet), and Joe Lynch (Wrong Turn 2) involved, how could I not see it? "It's going to be a hell of a night!" Truer words were never spoken.

Chillerama 2011 Review The film begins with a black and white scene in a graveyard where an intoxicated man is digging up his wife's grave, and plans on engaging in a little necrophilia. Right when he pulls his zipper down, the wife's corpse comes alive and eats it off in a spray of sky blue fluid! After killing the zombie and throwing one of his testicles at her grave, he realizes he's late for work and heads to a drive-in movie theater, where Cecil B. Kaufman, the owner, is hosting an all-night "Chillerama" on the night before he closes down for good. As the cars pull in (as well as the infected man), Kaufman begins the show with a little nasty called... Wadzilla Where do I even begin with "Wadzilla"? So here's the gist of things: A man finds out his penis can only deliver one sperm cell every time he ejaculates, so his doctor gives him a medication that will make that ngle sperm stronger. Unfortunately, the medication has nasty de effects: Every time the man is aroused, the sperm inde him grows incredibly large, and when he ejaculates, it keeps on growing and apparently has a life of its own! Now he must stop this monster sperm before it consumes all of New York!

The best way I can describe "Wadzilla" is that it's a '50s monster movie with '80s effects and the plotline of a Troma film. Adam Rifkin directed, wrote, and starred in this, and I must say, it does its job in spades. I was laughing just as much as I was saying, "Awww...that's disgusting!" Eric Roberts even has an apperance, and that just adds to the hilarity! The effects are appropriately terrible at times, with completely obvious green screen shots. But then again, that's precisely what Chillerama is going for. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed "Wadzilla" for the same reason one would enjoy something like Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger Part IV. It's a disgusting, funny, and campy good time that is sure to please the B-movie fanatics out there, especially the ones who love Troma!

I Was A Teenage Werebear After an average teenager is bitten on his rectum by a member of a gang, he begins to notice he has super-human strength and can turn into a "werebear" whenever he is aroused. The boy has also been harboring a secret: he is attracted to men. So when the gang that bit him prepare to eat all the students at his high school, he must use his newly found powers to stop them!

This is definitely the weakest segment in the movie. It's a gay/werewolf/Grease-esque mucal, and even though I like the concept, something about it just doesn't click for me. I felt the pace was too slow (which is fatal to the segment, because the whole thing is about twenty minutes), and the events that happened just were not interesting to me. Yeah, there were entertaining bits (look for Ron Jeremy on the cover of the Playbear magazine!), but overall, it's a mess. I can see how some people might like it, but for me, it's most certainly the weakest of the four segments.

The Diary of Anne Frankenstein During World War II, the Jewish Frankenstein are hiding from the Nazis in a back room somewhere in Europe (I've never read the book; so sue me!). They fear the Nazis will gain posseson of a special diary that contains the secrets to giving life. Suddenly, the Nazis led by Hitler himself burst in, kill the family, and steal the diary. Back at his headquarters, Hitler constructs a monstrous, Jewish being he calls Meshugannah (Hebrew for "crazy man"). One thing Hitler didn't count on is that Meshugannah remembers his Jewish ways, and he certainly remembers the Nazis.

Surpringly, "The Diary of Anne Frankenstein" is my favorite story out of all of them! Instead of going for that this-is-so-ridiculous-it's-hilarious humor like in "Wadzilla", this one has some intentional (and damn funny) humor, most of which come in that stupid yet funny way, like in Airplane or The Naked Gun. The funniest moment comes when a Nazi attempts to stop Meshugannah by jumping on his back. Then we cut to this dummy tied to the monster and swinging around limply. The monster throws him off, he lands on a table, and it's a black stunt double! When we see him again, he's white once more! When I heard Joel David Moore (Avatar, Hatchet) was playing Hitler, I thought that was a rather stupid choice. However, he gave a great (and hilarious) performance, as did everyone else, including the great Kane Hodder as Meshugannah. This is also the only segment to not feature masturbation, but there are one or two penis jokes. The whole thing is in subtitles as well, but that just adds to the hilarity because I'm pretty sure the language they're speaking is not German (I don't even know if it's a language). This is hilarious stuff anyone can enjoy, and the best part of Chillerama.

Zom-B-Movie We cut back to Cecil B. Kaufman's drive-in, where the infected individual got the blue zombie goop in the butter for the popcorn, so now everyone's eating it. Now, as the hilariously awful short "Deathication" plays on the drive-in screen, people are more concerned with blowjobs, masturbation, rape, etc. as they are turned into "The F*cking Dead." Now it's up to two non-infected lovebirds and Kaufman himself (who happens to have an arsenal of weapons) to put a halt to this unholy orgy of the dead!

With clasc movie quotes and references galore, "Zom-B-Movie" was a blast of a time. The way they managed to put how the zombies came to be in the first place in between the segments was a stroke of genius, because when "The Diary of Anne Frankenstein" ends, it's just zombie killing action galore! The fact that these zombies want to kill you and rape you is a...creative idea, and pretty disturbing at that. And you know how in order to kill a zombie you have to shoot them in the head? Well, in "Zom-B-Movie", you have to shoot them in their other head. There's one point where Kaufman grabs a shotgun and begins blasting away while spewing clasc movie quotes like, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn," and "Yippe-ki-yay, motherf*cker!" There's some other references here and there, but the quotes are the best (one of which is, "Wolfman's got nards!" for no apparent reason). Richard Riehle was great as Cecil Kaufman, and he somehow managed to come across as a total badass, despite his age. Chillerama is a bad movie by all means, but it is also incredibly entertaining! It contains nearly every taboo out there, including (and not limited to) necrophilia, masturbation, oral sex, rape, anal rape, and molestation. I was rather shocked to see these things take form in the beginning, but over the course of the movie, I got used to it. But I must say that I really did like this movie. The big thing that made me instantly fall in love with Chillerama is that they went all practical with the special effects. I honestly can't think of a ngle scene where CGI was used. Despite the effects looking really cheesy (I mean REALLY cheesy) most of the time, that adds to the throwback charm to it. There's a good cast too, with notable names as Lin Shaye, Kane Hodder, Joel David Moore, Eric Roberts, Richard Riehle, and Ray Wise all making appearances. If you're a big fan of throwback films (Grindhouse, Hobo with a Shotgun) and want something a little more extreme and vulgar, this should satisfy your hunger with a vengeance. To use the immortal words of Fernando Phagabeefy, "This film will rape you with your own feces."

The Verdict: Disgusting and crude in every way, Chillerama is wildly entertaining in the tradition of the Troma films. But whatever you do, do NOT watch this with your date/wife/mother/etc., the faint of heart, or those ealy offended!

http://youtu.be/pGUCX53u90I Don't trust my judgment? Here's four other opinions: Dread Central Fangoria Shock Till You Drop Bloody Disgusting
ObscureCinema101 Monday 10/17/2011 at 09:06 PM | 85309
judging by your review and others I can't wait for this one!Even before it I was a HUGE Adam Green fan and also a lover of cheesy stupid b movie type things such as this,so that raises the bar a little bit.
zombie10 Tuesday 10/18/2011 at 12:06 AM | 85320
I'm still waiting on my damn screener to get here :( I hate the postal service!!!!!!!!!!!)
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/18/2011 at 12:50 AM | 85325
I will probably buy it on blu-ray on its release date I like everything Adam Green does.
DoubleshotJ Tuesday 10/18/2011 at 01:51 PM | 85370