Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorrorBid's 31 Days of Horror: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

We here at HorrorBid will be recommending one specific treasure for everyday of the month. The ultimate goal is mple; encourage the masses to seek out stellar films that fit the seasonal mold. While I’m certain plenty of our faithful readers will find some of these films predictable, or at the least familiar, we still feel as though a friendly reminder can go a long way towards renewed enjoyment.

On deck for October 20th, is one of the most despicable, yet strangely endearing films to ever be shot, Tobe Hooper’s insanely controveral splatterfest, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Forget about the stylized extended muc video reboots we’ve been “treated” to over the last decade, it’s all about the grimy, fear-filled visceral madness of the original backwoods stunner.

The gist of the film is well known by all: A group of traveling youngsters stumble upon the home from hell, where kids are hacked to pieces; their bones strung up like seasonal ornaments, their skin stitched in makeshift costumes and, well, let’s just say the tender meat sure as hell doesn’t go to waste.

What is so amazing about this film is the hint of believability to the entire scenario; forget for a moment that the tale is (very) loosely based on the life of Ed Gein, because even excluding that fact, the ideology here is still plauble, especially given our current crime ridden society (it seems a new batch of psychopathic murderers surface every day, just turn the news on, you’ll see I speak fact).

In terms of technical aspects, there’s plenty to pick apart here: poor editing, some suspect acting, a touch of terrible dialogue… but none of that holds much weight, as the film is so deplorable that it somehow manages to suck viewers in like a commercial Kirby. There are a few absolutely harrowing scenes to feast on (particularly the extended chase scene between Sally and Leatherface, that drags on so long it’s almost easy to forget we’re viewing a fictionalized piece of work), and the gritty production of the picture conjures the impreson that one is watching a bona fide snuff film rather than a few reels of primitive entertainment.

It all comes together in a fascinating feature that is just as repulve as it is memorable. Pass on the contemporary vions, as they miss the primal essence of this beauty by a very, very long shot. The original TCSM is still one of the most unsettling pictures available on the market!http://youtu.be/Vs3981DoINw
Matt_Molgaard Friday 10/21/2011 at 02:26 AM | 85583
Quite the clasc indeed. The grittiness and realistic feel truly radiates that unnerving tenon while watching. But I wouldn't use the term "splatterfest" per se, but rather heavy reliance on implied violence that lets viewers envion their own perspective on the aftermath of Leatherface's dirty work.

Also, nicely stated that the chase scene being so long/intense that we forget we're watching a fright of entertainment. Even Gunnar Hansen forgot he was only acting and instead felt he was living the role, actually out to kill Marilyn Burns. But I'm sure you've seen A Family Portrait, great documentary on this legendary film!
buried13 Friday 10/21/2011 at 12:54 PM | 85618
Great write-up! i'm definitely a fan of this one.
AgnesItsMeBilly Friday 10/21/2011 at 05:57 PM | 85630
Quite the clasc indeed. The grittiness and realistic feel truly radiates that unnerving tenon while watching. But I wouldn't use the term "splatterfest" per se, but rather heavy reliance on implied violence that lets viewers envion their own perspective on the aftermath of Leatherface's dirty work.

Also, nicely stated that the chase scene being so long/intense that we forget we're watching a fright of entertainment. Even Gunnar Hansen forgot he was only acting and instead felt he was living the role, actually out to kill Marilyn Burns. But I'm sure you've seen A Family Portrait, great documentary on this legendary film

I agree about it not being a splatterfest but if you ask, most people will tell you about how gory it is or was when they watched it. Now that is the power of film! They just implied violence and people thought it was a splatterfest, amazing. Gunner actually got pissed that the blood gag wasn't working on her finger so he took off the protective tape and really cut her finger during that scene!
Sephit Saturday 10/22/2011 at 08:21 AM | 85694
@Sephit

Haha yeah after dealing with the grueling Texas summer heat and horrid smells of the rotting food from the dinner scene (not to mention the shirt Hansen sported was the only one during the entire production - unwashed for that matter), he would've done whatever it took to finish filming... even if it did mean to inflict pain on his co-workers! And you said it my friend, Hooper truly did express the power of film with his witty use of implied violence.
buried13 Sunday 10/23/2011 at 10:22 PM | 85752