Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorrorBid's 31 Days of Horror: Friday the 13th (2009)

We here at HorrorBid will be recommending one specific treasure for everyday of the month. The ultimate goal is mple; encourage the masses to seek out stellar films that fit the seasonal mold. While I’m certain plenty of our faithful readers will find some of these films predictable, or at the least familiar, we still feel as though a friendly reminder can go a long way towards renewed enjoyment.

On deck for October 21st, is a film sure to enrage every clasc conformist alive, Marcus Nispel’s fast paced and highly entertaining (yeah, suck on that traditionalists!) reboot, Friday the 13th. The film, though panned by the narrow minded, managed an impresve feat in successfully fung focal elements of the first four original Friday films. From psycho Pamela’s decapitation all the way to the concept of a distraught brother in search of his misng ster, it’s all here, molded into a fun, coheve picture that fits comfortably into a 97 minute runtime.

I don’t really need to break down the gist of the film, but I will all the same in case there happens to be a recluve reader lurking that prefers life under a rock over life as a vible socialite. Jason Voorhees’ mother is murdered, Jason (who’s always been believed deceased) magically pops up, rocks a knapsack as disguise, soon discovers a cool hockey mask, and then proceeds to slaughter a satisfying portion of cliché college kids.I’ll be flamed all the way to Camp Crystal Lake and back for this selection, but I could care less, because, a) I’m not deluonal and unwilling to admit that the film is quite well done, and b) I’m not a childish whiner who refused to give the film a chance mply because it’s a reboot. So, flame all you want, I’ve got my flame retardant long john’s on.

Nispel and scribes, Mark Swift and Damian Shannon do a near perfect job of condenng four films into one. The decion to turn Jason into a calculating speed demon is absolutely fantastic, because, let’s admit, that lumbering freak who couldn’t best a tortoise in a 100 meter dash just wasn’t all too frightening anymore. A blood thirsty mad man who moves in a hurry, machete in hand however, is certain to issue a few jolts of panic.

Cry all you want about the “travesty that was the Friday remake”. I’ll mply keep it real with myself and those bold enough to form their own opinion, rather than follow the norm, which is of course negative in relation to this film: Friday the 13th kicks ass, plain and mple. How the fuck do you like them apples?

http://youtu.be/_jo2uiLCtJs
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 10/22/2011 at 02:43 AM | 85671
I also enjoyed this film as well, and would love to see a part 2.
Anonymous Saturday 10/22/2011 at 02:53 AM | 85673
Though I can't say I enjoyed the remake of "Friday the 13th", I enjoyed this review of it. I like it when someone is brave enough to speak up for a movie most other people may not like, even when I'm one of the those in the "didn't like it" camp. While I don't think ALL of this film's detractors are saying they don't like it because they're "scared to form their own opinion", I definitely agree that there is a segment of the movie watching populace (and this includes profesonal critics) who are afraid to cross their friends and/or contemporaries. It's also just fun to view a movie through the eyes of someone with a wildly different opinion and see if you change your mind about it at all. In this case, I didn't exactly change my mind about liking the movie or not, but I did come away with this realization: "Friday the 13th" might not be a great film (in my opinion) but it is not markedly worse than most of the original films. I was bothered by the lack of character development in the victims because I don't think a movie is as scary if you kind of WANT all the featureless little teens to get offed, but the originals didn't develop their fresh meat all that much better, for the most part.

I did like the opening scene though, and I can admit that having Jason run rather than walk after his victims is an improvement. I still think there hasn't been a "Friday" as good as "Part 2", but I'm glad this remake exists for those who love it.
ImmortalSidneyP Saturday 10/22/2011 at 03:56 AM | 85680
I'm sorry the remake was not that good at all. They completely ruined it for me by making Jason into MacGyver and him having a hostage. Anyone who thinks those are good ideas have something wrong with them.
Pinhead Saturday 10/22/2011 at 05:26 PM | 85704
I'm sorry the remake was not that good at all. They completely ruined it for me by making Jason into MacGyver and him having a hostage. Anyone who thinks those are good ideas have something wrong with them.

yep, because making a tenth sequel exactly like the other previous nine (sans X) would have been unbelievably captivating and truly riveting...

Matt_Molgaard Saturday 10/22/2011 at 05:43 PM | 85705

yep, because making a tenth sequel exactly like the other previous nine (sans X) would have been unbelievably captivating and truly riveting...But in time the remake will lead down the road that the original series did. They will make sequels that are the same as the one before it like you said.
Pinhead Saturday 10/22/2011 at 06:30 PM | 85706
The hostage thing is what bothered me the most but I learned to like this remake over time. I just wish they would of did something with the Tommy Jarvis character. If they do a sequel I think that's where they should take it.
DoubleshotJ Saturday 10/22/2011 at 06:53 PM | 85707
btw fellas, dont take my grumpiness personally. I'm about 6 weeks from being homeless if the wife or i cant land another job - i'm a bit stressed, and furious with this fucked up economy. It's got me leaning on grouchiness pretty heavily.
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 10/22/2011 at 08:37 PM | 85708
Sorry to hear about that Matt. Hopefully things will get better for you and your wife.
Pinhead Saturday 10/22/2011 at 09:49 PM | 85713
Sorry to hear about that Matt. Hopefully things will get better for you and your wife.

i appreciate it.

It's just really got me stressed... man - both my wife and I have some fucking SERIOUS resume's... to not be able to land something... ANYTHING is just mind blowing to me right now.
Matt_Molgaard Sunday 10/23/2011 at 07:11 PM | 85748