Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorrorBid's 13 Days of Halloween Part V: Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Best Freddy Movie

Johnny, put down the martini and play me in please...

It's almost no contest really in my opinion, out of all of the Nightmare on Elm Street films in the franchise Wes Craven's 1994 New Nightmare is without doubt the best in the series. Excluding the original of course because nothing is really going to top the original in a saga of greatness.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare is Wes' unique touch that made the original A Nightmare on Elm street the legacy that it is today. Taking a whole new approach with this film. Ten years after it's original release. New Nightmare is a meta film which follows Heather Langenkamp as a fictional veron of herself dealing with Freddy Krueger as a fictional villian who invades the real, real world and starts to haunt her family and the people responble for his films. The most interesting thing about this film is the treatment. It's not a part of the continuity of the series itself but it brings Freddy Krueger into the viewers realm for the first time as he stalks Heather Langenkamps family and friends and fictional son Dylan.

The film is wonderful. It wasn't a box office smash like much of the other films in the series but critically, it fared way better. It takes and interesting look at the way the Nightmare movies effected the cast and crew making it and it depicted the way the world views these films. From the nurse thinking that the cause of Heather and Dylan's troubles were from letting him watch the films, to Dylan having nightmares because of the character Freddy, to the real life Nightmares that we all get from horror movies from time to time.

Freddy Krueger is finally portrayed as he should be portrayed. Way darker and less comical. Which in my opinion is the vion that Wes Craven had that should've stayed with the series. Not that Freddy wasn't always a bad-ass but I like my horror icons really dark and menacing, and with Freddy back and donning a long dark Trench coat and a bone claw instead of his glove, this is the film that I am always creeped out at and legitimately nervous to watch.

A horror movie that is how a horror movie should be. And few films make me feel the way that Wes Craven's New Nightmare makes me feel.

Growing up, Freddy Krueger was always the type of character that made me horrified to go to sleep. I was insanely afraid of him, Jason, Chucky, Micheal Myers, the greats. But the magic about Freddy is that, while other villains were somewhat posble to get rid of, Freddy wasn't, he gets you when you are at your absolute most vulnerable, when you are asleep. And New Nightmare takes that same archetype and then tells a story about true nightmares, and truly being afraid. When you invest your time believing something isn't real and then right then, your dreams take hold, you are fearful to sleep so you stay awake and then you start to hallucinate and then you lose grasp on what's real and whats not. You're always vulnerable. And that's a fear that never quite goes away and Wes knows that and he literally brought his creation to life.

There is a real story being told here. It's not just about a child molesting serial killing murderer. It's about the boogeyman. Don't get me wrong, It's always been about the Boogeyman but this time it seemed so much more posble than ever before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV8za5nWxwo source:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111686/
Artclasshero Saturday 10/22/2011 at 11:27 PM | 85724
this one ranks high for me as well

its tough to pick a favorite between new nightmare, 1 and 3 - kick ass movies
Matt_Molgaard Sunday 10/23/2011 at 03:02 AM | 85730
I love all of the Nightmare all the same. They're awesome as hell but if I had to pick and absolute favorite it would be this one
Artclasshero Sunday 10/23/2011 at 03:19 AM | 85731
It's funny.

Nightmare boils down to 1, 3, and New Nightmare and Halloween boils down to 1, 2, & H2O.

Ignore the rest and you've got a couple of great trilogies.

Oh, and FYI - it's donning, not dawning.
freakengine Sunday 10/23/2011 at 03:39 AM | 85732
This one and the original and Dream Warriors I feel were the best film ever
nightmareblade Sunday 10/23/2011 at 11:32 PM | 85757