Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorrorBid's 31 Days of Horror: Dawn of the Dead (1978)

We here at HorrorBid will be recommending one specific treasure for everyday of the month. The ultimate goal is mple; encourage the masses to seek out stellar films that fit the seasonal mold. While I’m certain plenty of our faithful readers will find some of these films predictable, or at the least familiar, we still feel as though a friendly reminder can go a long way towards renewed enjoyment.

On deck for October 23rd, is the second film in George Romero’s ongoing zombie epic franchise, Dawn of the Dead. The film, though a tad dated at this point still offers a strong narrative, great special effects and a very alarming sense of tenon; so much so that few sub-genre efforts can even attempt to rival it, still to this day, some 30 plus years later.

The Gist: It’s more man versus undead, as a group of survivors find themselves holed up in an abandoned shopping mall. But as the scent of living flesh lingers, the undead clamor, and it isn’t long before the mall is on the verge of being overcome by legions of flesh chompers.

This movie was special in ’78, is special now, and will be so in another two decades. Fantastic character development anchors this daunting depiction of a post-apocalyptic world where every man fends for himself, and the slow to scatter are quick to become lunch. Great performances and an air-tight script have cemented the film’s place in history, and it’s unlikely anything will change that.

While I could have ealy chosen Zack Snyder’s 2004 rendition, and won plenty of readers over, despite the fact that it’s a remake, I opted to stick with the original. There’s a bit less humor in Romero’s portrayal, and while it’s not quite as fast-paced as Snyder’s reboot, I think the tenon is gnificantly stronger, and the methodical pacing builds up to a beautiful point of dread.

Still one of the finest zombie films ever shot, the original Dawn of the Dead is one that must not be overlooked, no matter what!

http://youtu.be/Pt-EipwlWQ0
Matt_Molgaard Monday 10/24/2011 at 02:03 AM | 85761
I also felt that the solid implementation of character development was always one of Romero's greatest strengths in making his 'Dead' anthology. And 'Dawn' will always rank as the one with the most in-depth storyline.
buried13 Monday 10/24/2011 at 03:24 PM | 85783