Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorrorBid's 13 Days of Halloween Part VI: A List Of 5 Movies That Just Didn't Pan Out

Bruce...Bruce you're a little...Bruce...you've had way too much to drink, just play me in please if you can.

The world of horror movies is a vast and seemingly endless void of clascs, great cinema icons, bad movies and total shit storms. Many of us may think that if we had the resources the time and the power, we could make a much better horror film. And that may be true but it's easy to talk a big game. I'm sure hundreds of filmmakers say the same thing, yet, every week it seems we have a new piece of crap to enjoy for all the wrong reasons.

What interests me in the genre of shit storms, are blockbuster hits, highly billed players and good ideas. What I mean by that poorly phrased sentence is that there are movies lingering around out there in the world that we saw and were utterly disappointed at because it didn't turn out how we thought they would. Most of us for that matter, were never truly on board with the idea in the first place, but for the rest of us it seemed like a sequel to such and such or a brand new idea that seemed like it would turn the world of horror movies on it's head and finally get more people to respect the genre. So I was thinking, what movies stick out in my head as good ideas gone wrong.

What was I excited to see but then after viewing, wish I was at the writers table to slap the idea guys? Five movies stuck out to me. And trust me, there were many more but I wanted to narrow down to what disappointed me in a big way. Whether I still watch these movies even with their discretion are irrelevant. It's the fact that the filmmakers took a potentially great idea and just pooped all over it with uninspired writing, arguments and big egos.5. Lost Boys: The Tribe

Wait a minute? You mean...they're making a sequel to one of the best 80's better yet, vampire movies of all time!? The Coreys are in it? Dude...OF COURSE I'm down. Unfortunately, if you expected this poop to be awesome then you were just as disappointed as I was. Lost Boys The Tribe picks about 20 years after the first film following Chad and Nicole Emerson, who move to Luna Bay to live in the house owned by there Aunt after the death of their parents.They meet up with a local Surf gang dubbed "The Tribe" And The Lost Boys like fun ensues. Now, Joel Schuamacher, the director of the first Lost Boys movie tried to do another film in the 90's called The Lost Girls that would have feature most if not all of the original cast of the first film but it never panned out. Instead, which was a really rich idea. They gave the green light to a script that resembled The Lost Boys and was altered to be a sequel. See, this was the problem right here. Money hungry corporate executes who decided that something vaguely milar to something is good enough to be a sequel a cherished film. They could've done so much with the film but instead they threw it on the ground, wiped it off, deemed it a Lost Boys sequel and then went on their merry way. Fortunately, The Thirst is a better film than The Tribe but still, none match thought put into The Lost Boys. You're better off reading the Lost Boys: Reign of the Frogs comic.

4. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday

So, by this point in time they figure out, anything having to do with Jason Voorhees will at the very least, double the budget in the box office so forget it. It's been 4 years nce the last Friday the 13th. We left Jason drowned and assumed dead in Manhattan, let's give this series one last go. Well, they did that, kind of, I mean, one last go turned into 3 more films featuring Jason but what the hell, we're making money. Jason Goes To Hell shows our favorite seemingly indestructible maniacal hockey player from hell stalking and killing off more people but in the form of posseson. That's right...posseson. As if Friday the 13th: A New Beginning didn't teach them anything, WE WANT JASON, ONLY JASON. Jason is only in his phycal form for about 5 or 10 minutes, It's ridiculous It wasn't a bad idea, it could've really worked well but they didn't sweat the small stuff. It answered the who, what and where but never the why. And on top of that how the hell did he get back to camp crystal lake? How was he reincarnated? Movie magic I guess

3. Halloween: The Curse of Micheal Myers

We all know what's wrong with this movie right? I mean, the first mistake they made was green lighting this idea. Finally, we were going to understand why Micheal Myers is who he is. But the problem with that is, the second you start to give someone like Micheal Myers a supernatural reason, the second the series starts to lose its believability. Sure, he's been shot, burned, ran over, impaled, he's fallen off a house. I mean, he can't be stopped. But to say that he was driven by selected by a cult of people that are under the influence of an ancient mark called "Thorn" that claimed to be originated by a special alignment of stars on Halloween night...it was too much. It was the first time it was mentioned and the last time. Danielle Harris didn't return as Jamie Lloyd because she didn't like the way her character was killed of in the first 20 minutes of the film. It sucked. It was a slap in the face to her character. Perhaps the biggest let down of all is that the cut that is available now is not the original or better cut. The "Producers Cut" (which you should email or link to me if you have) has a almost entirely different plot-line and it keeps Dr. Loomis' character alive for future films, Jamie's character isn't killed so early in the film and it features different muc at times. For whatever reason Disney, owning the rights to the movie, won't give the new cut a formal release.

2. Red State

No one was perhaps more disappointed in this movie than I was. nce it's still new, I don't won't to spoil it and obviously I think it's bad nce I included it in my list but don't let my opinion stop you from seeing it. Kevin smith is my favorite filmmaker so hearing that he was taking his stab at a horror movie with Fred Philps and Westboro Baptist Church as the inspiration for his film only made me really excited. I followed the production for months and viewing trailers only made me want to see it more but when I finally sat down to watch, it was not what I thought it would be. First of all, by no means of the word, is this film a horror film. It's a thriller suspense.

It may have horror themes but it is not a horror film. The way the characters are treated, the twists and turns, nothing pans out like how it should. Not to say that it was done so the movie couldn't be predictable but I think Smith is still in an endless struggle to make the perfect movie. While I found that he never had to try too hard for me, when you're stepping into a new genre, you have to make it all come full round. I'll give this one spoiler and you judge for yourself. Ade from Micheal Parks character...John Goodman is the main star. I rate this low on my list because I expected better from Mr. Smith. THIS is where horror needs to go next. The social commentary was perfect, he just didn't execute it well.

1. Teeth

I know what you're thinking, "You thought Teeth was going to be good?" No, I didn't think it was going to be good. But with a premise like a girl discovering she has "Vagina Dentata", I mean...what's going to be better than that right? A lot of things apparently. I hated Teeth. And it wasn't the story so much as how the girl was written From the middle to the end, the movie just completely fell apart. I mean, what kind of life are you gonna have with teeth in your vagina then the one she chose though right?

Source:

http://www.imdb.com/
Artclasshero Tuesday 10/25/2011 at 12:49 AM | 85801
I agree with The Tribe

Jason goes to Hell is one of those films that I find so terrible it's awesome. I can't explain what it is about it, but I really dig that shitfest.

I think H6 is actually one of the better sequels in the franchise, although they really stepped out of the comfort zone with new underlying plot points. Still, it wins big points with me for the return of Doyle, AND Rudd portraying him. As for the alternate veron, and the setup for Loomis' return, that's completely null and void; Donald Pleasence died shooting the film, that character died the day Donald died. All that said, I can see why people aren't big on this one, it's risky.

I actually really enjoyed Red State, and would definitely conder it horror. If a film is driven by horrific elements, and plays as sadistic as does Red State, it's horror, and i'm not certain I see a lot of room for debate there. I agree with you that the payoffs weren't necessarily fantastic, but it's got it's moments, and (without divulging spoilers) I love the scene where Kyle Gallner and the family daughter run outde, right into trouble. The scene was surpring, but shot in such non-sealant fashion that it was a little stunning, like 'holy shit, just like that'? Not a fantastic film, but enjoyable, and very very creepy, especially when you conder the legitimate inspiration behind the film.

And Teeth... ahh, Teeth. Fucking love the feminist empowerment, ck incestuous undertones, and adored Jess Weixler and her kind of... "Airy" performance. Hands down pulls off some of the most diverse and priceless facial expresons ever captured on film. I could've done without all the wang prosthetics flying around, but I got a kick out the film, and when I reviewed it, I remember I scored it pretty high. I'm always a little surprised by the hatred a lot of people toss at the film, it's a fun ride, and a bit ironic in the sense that there's such a serious message buried in a film that draws real laughs from the forefront, and crude front of those issues.

good read btw.
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/25/2011 at 02:02 AM | 85803
I just finished Red State. I love the end with the wrap up scene and John Goodmans final words. But I can completely agree. There was something off in the execution. I look forward to more work from Kevin Smith, I think he can only improve on his take of the horror genre.
allycat2488 Tuesday 10/25/2011 at 03:21 AM | 85807
I agree with The Tribe

Jason goes to Hell is one of those films that I find so terrible it's awesome. I can't explain what it is about it, but I really dig that shitfest.

I think H6 is actually one of the better sequels in the franchise, although they really stepped out of the comfort zone with new underlying plot points. Still, it wins big points with me for the return of Doyle, AND Rudd portraying him. As for the alternate veron, and the setup for Loomis' return, that's completely null and void; Donald Pleasence died shooting the film, that character died the day Donald died. All that said, I can see why people aren't big on this one, it's risky.

I actually really enjoyed Red State, and would definitely conder it horror. If a film is driven by horrific elements, and plays as sadistic as does Red State, it's horror, and i'm not certain I see a lot of room for debate there. I agree with you that the payoffs weren't necessarily fantastic, but it's got it's moments, and (without divulging spoilers) I love the scene where Kyle Gallner and the family daughter run outde, right into trouble. The scene was surpring, but shot in such non-sealant fashion that it was a little stunning, like 'holy shit, just like that'? Not a fantastic film, but enjoyable, and very very creepy, especially when you conder the legitimate inspiration behind the film.

And Teeth... ahh, Teeth. Fucking love the feminist empowerment, ck incestuous undertones, and adored Jess Weixler and her kind of... "Airy" performance. Hands down pulls off some of the most diverse and priceless facial expresons ever captured on film. I could've done without all the wang prosthetics flying around, but I got a kick out the film, and when I reviewed it, I remember I scored it pretty high. I'm always a little surprised by the hatred a lot of people toss at the film, it's a fun ride, and a bit ironic in the sense that there's such a serious message buried in a film that draws real laughs from the forefront, and crude front of those issues.

good read btw.Thanks r. I agree with most of what you said about the movies. I mean, It's not like I completely hate these movies it was just something about them all that just failed with me. They never reached the potential I saw in them. When I dislike a movie, it's a big deal because I love EVERYTHING lol. Like I said, Kevin Smith is my favorite filmmaker and I've seen EVERY movie he's ever done, Red State is the only one I didn't like. I didn't hate it, I just thought he would do something great with it. Instead, he just kind ofkilled off anyone he invested any time developing as a character. Except for Micheal Parks character, which was played very well. Best performance in the whole film

The Donald Pleasence thing was more so just upsetting that even though he I agree, when he died, Dr. Loomis died. He supposedly died at the end of the theatrical release and we didn't see anything. It just didn't do much to his memory or the character. And I will always watch Jason Goes to Hell when it's on. Or randomly if the mood strikes but Jason possesng people just made me want to call Sam and Dean lol.

And Teeth...lol well, that's just Teeth.
Artclasshero Tuesday 10/25/2011 at 04:28 AM | 85813