Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorroBid's 31 Days of Horror: Club Dread

We here at HorrorBid will be recommending one specific treasure for everyday of the month. The ultimate goal is mple; encourage the masses to seek out stellar films that fit the seasonal mold. While I’m certain plenty of our faithful readers will find some of these films predictable, or at the least familiar, we still feel as though a friendly reminder can go a long way towards renewed enjoyment.

On deck for October 24th, is a film that’s certainly more comedy than horror, Broken Lizard’s priceless hybrid, Club Dread. The film is jam packed with outlandish laughs and intentional clichés, but it’s got a fun dose of horror thrown in the mix. While, many would argue, I would conder the film to be one of the finest comedy-first-horror-second type films to ever be unveiled.

The gist: A psychopathic serial killer is stalking the unfortunate vacationers viting Coconut Pete's Coconut Beach Resort. As each employee (and a few strays) of the resort is picked off one by one by our mysterious killer, the inspiration behind the madness is unveiled, and the ultimate motive is absolutely beyond priceless.

If you like laughs with your guts, this flick is for you; it’s also one of the greatest beer accessories ever invented. The jokes are delivered with obvious winks (there are so many jokes centered around Coconut Pete and his career it’s almost obscene, but they never once get old), some of the slaughtering is fantastic, Bill Paxton is at his absolute best (believe it or not) and the Broken Lizard crew (look them up, if you’re unfamiliar with the comedy troupe) deliver the timeless performances fans have come to expect, without exception.

Club Dread may have been avoided by many genre followers due to the comedic dominance of the film, but there’s plenty of awesome horror right here. In fact, watching Club Dread really feels so much like watching countless ‘80’s slashers that attempted to take themselves serious that the irony almost feels like a tangible slap in the face; just hard enough to get your attention, before bursting into laughter at the eccentricity of it all, may I add.

http://youtu.be/i2fYDUcuWZg
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/25/2011 at 02:33 AM | 85806
I LOVE this movie. It's really funny but it does have some scary elements thrown in. I think it's meant to be a parody but really doesn't parody anything till like the last 15 minutes. I would definitely recommend this movie.
Ryze Tuesday 10/25/2011 at 05:34 PM | 85825
I was actually planning on doing a review of this, nce I saw it a couple weeks ago! This is by far my favorite slasher parody (yes, better than Scream in my opinion) because it took all the stereotypes I personally found annoying in slashers and even giallos and called them out, while also building some surpring suspense.

My favorite part was when someone (I'm not going to spoil the movie for anyone unfortunate enough to have not seen this) was confronting the killer and two other characters are hiding behind a shower curtain. They hear the guy say like, "Aha! I knew it was you all along!" and stuff, and they're just whispering to themselves, "Who, goddamn it?!?!?"

The one thing I find REALLY annoying in giallos is when there's a killer POV, the killer's unmasked, a character who obviously knows him/her starts talking to her and all they say is "you." they don't call the killer by his/her real name. I know, that would have given the real identity away, I still found it annoying. So just to see them bringing that up to the light made this instant clasc material.
ObscureCinema101 Tuesday 10/25/2011 at 07:09 PM | 85830
lol this movie was great. Love all of the Broken Lizard Club's movies.
Jonny Sicko Tuesday 10/25/2011 at 08:12 PM | 85833
great minds

together

on horrorbid

it is beautiful
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 10/25/2011 at 08:30 PM | 85837
I was actually planning on doing a review of this, nce I saw it a couple weeks ago! This is by far my favorite slasher parody (yes, better than Scream in my opinion) because it took all the stereotypes I personally found annoying in slashers and even giallos and called them out, while also building some surpring suspense.

My favorite part was when someone (I'm not going to spoil the movie for anyone unfortunate enough to have not seen this) was confronting the killer and two other characters are hiding behind a shower curtain. They hear the guy say like, "Aha! I knew it was you all along!" and stuff, and they're just whispering to themselves, "Who, goddamn it?!?!?"

The one thing I find REALLY annoying in giallos is when there's a killer POV, the killer's unmasked, a character who obviously knows him/her starts talking to her and all they say is "you." they don't call the killer by his/her real name. I know, that would have given the real identity away, I still found it annoying. So just to see them bringing that up to the light made this instant clasc material.

XD I love that scene.
Ryze Saturday 10/29/2011 at 12:16 AM | 86041