Forums Horror Movie Talk
John Carpenter's Student Film 'The Voyeur' Found...It May Be An Early Form Of Halloween

Some really cool news is being reported by The Hollywood Reporter and it involves one of the genres most beloved directors, John Carpenter and perhaps his greatest film.

Apparently the first student film from famed horror director entitled Captain Voyeur has been found in the archives at the Univerty of Southern California and will be restored with the help of a grant from the National Film Preservation Foundation.

http://i42.tinypic.com/16948pt.

Carpenter wrote and directed Captain Voyeur for an introductory film class at USC’s School of Cinematic Arts in 1969. The black and white short is roughly eight minutes in length, and is said to have visual and thematic ties to the writer/director’s 1978 clasc Halloween, according to Dino Everett, the archivist who discovered the preprint materials in a negative at USC’s Hugh M. Hefner Moving Image Archive.

Captain Voyeur follows a man at a boring computer job who eyes a woman at work and follows her home. He dons a mask and attempts to kill her but is shot by his co-worker. Does any of this sound familiar, or is it just coincidence?

Everett told The Hollywood Reporter that at one point, the voyeur puts on a pair of glasses over his mask, much in the manner that Michael Myers wore glasses over the bedsheet covering his head in the Halloween prologue.

Like the 1978 film, much of Captain Voyeur is shot from the point of view of the attacker, and the woman being stalked "could have been a young Jamie Lee Curtis,'" she resembled the Halloween victim so strongly, Everett noted.

On the job for only a year, Everett said he heard rumors that Carpenter has “stolen his films” from the school, which owns the works. “I didn’t believe that,” he said.

Everett pulled a negative -- “thankfully, it was in great shape” -- and in the middle of the film up popped a hand-written credit that says “Written and directed by John Carpenter.” USC has not yet told Carpenter about the discovery.

http://i39.tinypic.com/fmt9w1.

The Hefner archive will handle the restoration . Hopefully we'll get to see this in the near future.

Source:

The Hollywood reporter
Anonymous Wednesday 10/26/2011 at 11:10 PM | 85903
Damn that would be cool to see!
Sephit Wednesday 10/26/2011 at 11:16 PM | 85905
kick ass post

i'd love to lay eyes on this!
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 10/27/2011 at 12:02 AM | 85910