Forums Horror Movie Talk
HorrorBid's 13 Days of Halloween Part VIII: 5 Movies That Make Us Afraid of the Dark

Johnny, Bruce and the Bagel Boy are all dead...I play myself in now.

This 2006 remake of the 1974 clasc legitimately creeped me out. I didn't put this one on the list and exclude the original because I think the remake is better, but this one scared me more. While the original was of course, a clasc that focused on a killer named Billy stalking the the girls of a sorority house. The remake went more in depth into Billy's creepy, and unkempt up bringing. It made the character scary. There are two ways to envelop terror into the viewer. Tell the viewer everything about the character or tell them nothing. For me, telling me everything gave me enough reason to be afraid. It also didn't help that after my first time watching this alone in my room, in the dark, my front door was wide open and my mom was nowhere to be found.

4. Dead lence

This is one of those movies where urban legend, makeup and creepy ass possessed ventriloquist dolls make you want to second guess becoming the world's next Jeff Dunham. Dead lence follows a new widower who returns to his hometown to search for answers about his wife's recent murder, which he believes may be linked to the ghost of a murdered, murdering ventriloquist. Dead lence isn't a great movie by any means but there's just something about Dolls and Kids that make you want to remind yourself that they are two of the most harmless things in the world. Maybe it's Mary Shaw, maybe it's the creepy haunting poem Beware "Beware the stare of Mary Shaw. She had no children, only dolls. And if you see her do not scream, she'll rip your tongue out at the seam." maybe it's the twist ending, but something about this movie always gets me. Plus it didn't help, the first time i ever watched this I was home alone and I started hearing strange noises.

3. Child's Play

Obviously, this would be next on the list. I think after reading what I had to say about Dead lence you could only assume that I really really don't like creepy ass killer dolls. Whether it's actually them or not. I'm not necessarily bothered to watch Child's Play alone but this is more of an ode to a truly great idea. This was the movie that ngle-handedly gave me nightmares for years and caused me to write off horror movies throughout my childhood.I was notoriously known for being mortified by Child's Play but being a kid whats more scary than the thought of your new favorite toy killing people off and trying to talk you into a little quick posseson.

2. Stephen King's IT

For a long time I wouldn't watch this movie for the same reason I wouldn't watch many horror films. it was just too damn scary. It was long, creepy and scary. I know people to this day that would rather do anything else in the world than watch this movie. Clowns is a legitimate fear people have and the fact that this particular happy go lucky clown named Pennywise would lure you in with a balloon and then eat you, made it a little difficult to get through. The brilliant thing about this movie, if you can get through it of course, is that it is about fear. And facing the fear in all of us. Pennywise, isn't just a clown, he's our greatest fear that we have to overcome. And that's why this is one of the most perfect horror films. Because it isn't just about the scares, it's commenting on the very thing that you afraid of. That's terror.

1. The Strangers

I don't care what anyone has to say about this movie. If it didn't scare you or creep you the hell out then I owe you some kind of baked good because this movie freaked me out. Out of all of the films listed, it was the only one I saw in theaters. And it was the only one I viewed with more than one other person with me. So with all of that, it was still terrifying.This movie, about a couple whos relationship is on the rocks gets terrorized by 3 unknown masked people will always be terrifying to me. I watch this movie because it scares me, and that's saying something. There's nothing funny about this film, there is no hidden motive. It's just about pure evil, and who is more evil than people? Even the poster is enough to make me want to look away fast. The pacing of this film has a lot to do with why I think it's one of better horror films on the market. You feel for the characters the whole time and when you learn the reasoning behind the killers motives "Because you were home" makes it all the more creepy. The ride back from the movie theater was quite, and evoked a discuson about are greatest fears.Source:

http://www.imdb.com/
Artclasshero Thursday 10/27/2011 at 10:58 PM | 85990
As I am not a huge fan of the remake of Black Christmas (and didn't quite deem it as scary for that matter), I can say that I did enjoy The Strangers. It's the realistic tone that amplifies the scare factor and the feel of unease throughout its entirety.
buried13 Friday 10/28/2011 at 12:15 AM | 85995
I absolutely agree with your list.

Dead lence creeped the crap out of me! I watched it alone in a dark room and regretted it. I didn't find The Strangers to be that scary, but it has this... ominous feeling to it. The scariest parts are seeing the strangers lurking about, and not knowing what they're going to do or when. It scared me as a kid, until the end anyway, but to this day I love that movie! The only one from the list I never saw was Black Christmas (the original nor the remake.)
AMadSquirrel21 Friday 10/28/2011 at 12:19 AM | 85996
As I am not a huge fan of the remake of Black Christmas (and didn't quite deem it as scary for that matter), I can say that I did enjoy The Strangers. It's the realistic tone that amplifies the scare factor and the feel of unease throughout its entirety. For some reason I didn't watch the remake all the way through but the original Black Christmas is awesome! It has the slow burn that I love and it's right up there with Halloween and the Thing for me.
Sephit Friday 10/28/2011 at 05:43 AM | 86009
I only watched the Strangers once. It was in bright day light and I fast forwarded through alot of it. Im too scared to try it again without the remote in the dark.
allycat2488 Friday 10/28/2011 at 07:42 AM | 86013
@Sephit I may have seen the original Black Christmas long ago but don't quite remember, but now that you compare the gradual building of suspense to two clascs such as Halloween and The Thing I'll surely check it out.

@allycat2488 Definitely gotta set the right atmosphere to watch The Strangers... a sunlit room and fast-forwarding doesn't do it justice! haha
buried13 Friday 10/28/2011 at 01:22 PM | 86021
I only watched the Strangers once. It was in bright day light and I fast forwarded through alot of it. Im too scared to try it again without the remote in the dark.

Wow how can you fastforward a film like that? I haven't watched the Strangers in awhile, I don't own it but

my buddy does so I will see if I can borrow it. Although I really like the strangers, I wasn't a huge fan of the ending but the film is so good that it doesn't matter.
Sephit Friday 10/28/2011 at 03:16 PM | 86025
The black xmas remake was disturbing, But to me pet semetary wins the most scariest in my opinion. its just the way they made Gage all creepy ect.
hm4life Saturday 10/29/2011 at 01:39 AM | 86053
the Black Christmas remake didnt scare me in the slightest. I was able to enjoy it for what it was, but the mystery behind the original was what was so terrifying to me - the remake just put it all out on the table and completely killed any hope of conjuring fear; whats to be afraid of when it's all out in the open, with no suspense whatsoever?

Dead lence is a bit creepy, but for me, only in the right setting. If I'm not watching it at 3 a.m. with every light out and a 12 pack in me, I'm just laughing at it.

Child's Play was certainly creepy.

It scared me...in like 1993. It's so dated now that it feels more like a comedy than a horror film - this is one that needs a remake, with the proper crew at the helm.

The Strangers MIGHT have scared me had I not seen the original first. Them (Ils) destroys The Strangers imo - THAT was capturing atmosphere, IMO. Strangers made a nice effort, but its nearly a shot for shot (i stress nearly) of Them, and after seeing that, The Strangers felt more copycat than anything; though it did have some nice qualities (LOVE YA LIV!!!!)
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 10/29/2011 at 02:35 AM | 86057