Forums Horror Collectibles
Are People Spending More Money on Halloween Than Years Before?

I just saw a report on my local news channel about people dishing out more money than ever this year for Halloween costumes, haunted houses, and tons of stuff to get a good scare despite the economic struggles people face.

Here is some of the report I saw, a link is provided below.

The report says spending is up at least 9% from last year.

This popped the question in my mind... What is posbly caung this sudden rise? I have a few theories as to why and I'd love to hear some of your theories too.

Theory 1 Because the economy is so bad, people are willing to pay more to feel like they're something they're not everyday. In other words, people are ung the Halloween as an escape from hard times.

Theory 2 Recently there has been a lot of horror film being released which could have some influence.

Theory 3 People could be becoming desentized to horrors, gore, scares, blood, guts, and all the wonderful things we Horrorbites thrive on. With the internet making it so easy to find these messed up things, the news showing us horrible events each day, and "PG-13" movies showing more and more gore than before.. I think it's easy to see how people are becoming more and more desentized.

Theory 4

I have plenty of more theories, but I want to hear what you guys think. So reply! What do you think caused this rise in people spending more on Halloween?

Source:

http://www.kcra.com/news/29617004/detail.html
BloodyAdored Saturday 10/29/2011 at 01:07 AM | 86048
I like theory number one. i do believe people use this day Halloween to dress up and enjoy the child within themselves...hear that

kiddies ? All Hallows eve isn't for just children anymore!!)) I also heard on my local news that people will be spending upwards of 7 billion!!!!! yes thats with a B !! i think that might even surpass Christmas. This is a new generation of horror fans, even though they are PA fans, to them it's horror. I work at Spirit Halloween every year and

the generation that buys the most costumes are the tweens and most are sexy costumes :) You have to understand its a combonation of factors that drive the sales for Halloween.

You have the fear factor that people ar pushing to the limits...yes that means they are being desentzed to violence. We dont like what we see on televion, but we go to the theater and revel at

the moment of the most gruesome kills, blood splatters and gratuitous violence and sex we can handle, and we want more!!!! and can't get enough. Next year sales will be close to 9 billion i believe. So with that said I enjoy Halloween immensely always have nce childhood with the old black and whitesI think i just dated myself :) With all the new masks and make-up compotions there no limitations what an individual want to be for halloween.

Let the fear run cold through your veins
Warchief 13 Saturday 10/29/2011 at 12:43 PM | 86080
I like theory 4. Lol.

I think it's that theory number 1 makes the most sense. It's a sense of escape from everyday life, even if for one day. It Halloween is been spent with that much money, expect Christmas to be the same.
Ryze Saturday 10/29/2011 at 04:34 PM | 86089
This is very interesting because I have spent loads more other years but this year I already had what I needed for my costume so I didn't spend anything on bedes time adding my own weathering and shading to the mask.

On a de note, I was downtown San Diego last night and saw a girl by Taste and Thirst that looked exactly like you with the same costume, is that a coincidence or was that you?
Sephit Sunday 10/30/2011 at 12:12 AM | 86102
Guess it depends on the area. My neck of the woods in NJ just got hit with a foot of snow. So completely pointless and random lol. We had some very fair weather and then it decided to snow all day today. It's still snowing right now. Wonder how that'll affect Halloween in my area this year.

Worse case scenario = more left over candy for me :P
Jonny Sicko Sunday 10/30/2011 at 02:41 AM | 86107
This is very interesting because I have spent loads more other years but this year I already had what I needed for my costume so I didn't spend anything on bedes time adding my own weathering and shading to the mask.

On a de note, I was downtown San Diego last night and saw a girl by Taste and Thirst that looked exactly like you with the same costume, is that a coincidence or was that you?

o.O How interesting but no, I live in Northern California so who you saw was definitely not me.
BloodyAdored Sunday 10/30/2011 at 07:53 AM | 86113

o.O How interesting but no, I live in Northern California so who you saw was definitely not me.

Damn thats a trip! Haha I guess it's a good thing I couldn't remember why she looked familiar at the time then.
Sephit Sunday 10/30/2011 at 09:26 AM | 86116