Forums Horror Collectibles
The Top 5 Custom Independent 'Michael Myers' Masks of all Time

With the independent Michael Myers mask scene ever so scarce these days due to a lawsuit filled by the studio that owns the rights to the Myers likeness we thought it would be fitting to show off some of the greatest Myers masks ever created by indie artists.

All of these masks below were made in the past and are no longer being sold. No matter which de of the fence you stand on this issue the mple fact of the matter is the studio is stopping the production of un-licensed Michael Myers masks. That will have a profound effect on the hobby as artists will have a much tougher time selling their product. A product that in it's hay day of collecting was a job in itself.

Artists and fans would pop up with new Myers masks and those would fetch hundreds sometime thousands of dollars. It was a very lucrative buness that many took advantage of and as a collector it was like the gold rush era, you had to pick and choose what you wanted as the flood of new latex coming out was unstoppable. That is until recently. With the studio long out money it was only a matter of time until the hammer fell and recently that happened. You can read all about that by clicking here if you would like.

Back to the topic at hand. And boy was this a tough list for us to put together. Thankfully our friends from Michael-Myers.net (which we learned while putting this article together, may be shut down due to legal reasons) helped us along the way and we hope we've at the very least put together a proper sampling of masks that shows you what the hobby has produced over the years.

One of the toughest things we had to do was separate ourselves from this list. As avid collectors of the "white masks" back in the day it wasn't easy to keep a few masks off this list. We found ourselves wanting to include our personal favorites from the past and that's not something this list was degned for. We wanted to show of the very best of the best. So you may not see masks like one of our personal favorites, Lee Romaire's "Second Stab", Nightowl's coveted "Psycho" and Maniac", NAG's "2K" mask and a host of others. They all deserve to be in a history article about the Myers hobby but not the top 5 in our opinion. Wow, that is tough to say.

This won't be a list everyone will agree with but that's not what we wanted to do here. We want to show the horror world and collecting community the best verons of Michael Myers that fans and artists have made to date. We hope you enjoy the masks below. The "perfect" mask is out there, every-bodies veron just so happens to be different. #5. THE WARLOCK

Cemetery Gate Productions Dick Warlock gnature Mask

http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/03. The Warlock, an H2 replica made by Cemetery Gate Productions, sold the most masks of any independent replica Myers mask ever produced. The mask was a collaboration between CGP and Dick Warlock, who provided a gned COA with ever mask. Although Dick's H2 was never used for the sculpture, the mask looked like Dick's face was in the mask (as if he was wearing it). which will fit up to a 23" head ze and a large, which will fit up to a 25" head ze. #4. THE "DB2" MASK

Dennis Beckstrom Myers II aka DB2 finished by Colin/JC/Michaelantern

http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/06.

Made by long time Don Post Studios employee, Dennis Beckstrom, this mask took approximately two and a half years to sculpt. The mask was first made as a Kirk, done by studying every photo of a ’75 Kirk Dennis could find, as well as photos he took of the ’75 Kirk. The result was a beautiful Myers mask that retained every little nuance of the original ’75 Kirk. Eight masks were made and they were sold with a numbered case, as well as a hand gned card that described the production process. Today, about half of the DB2's have been altered and only 4 are still in original condition. #3. THE 4 STAMP NIGHTMARE MAN 78 MASK

Nightowl Productions Nightmare Man 1978 Mask

http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/05. The Nightmare Man 78 is really the mask that kicked Myers mask collecting into high gear. This mask was made by Justin Mabry at Nightowl Productions and was based off a press of an original 1975 Don Post Kirk mask owned by Myers Net member Billy Kurkus. The original run, which was very limited, is known as the four stamp NMM78 because the mask has four distinct stamps, the first says Nightowl Productions, the second says Justin Mabry, the third says Billy Kurkus and the forth says Nightmare Man 78. There is also an engraevment on the right back flap of the mask that says Justin Mabry. #2. THE KH/DW MASK

Ken Hertlein / Dick Warlock Mask

http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/07. A collaborative piece between Ken Hertlein and Dick Warlock, Ken sculpted this limited edition mask referencing Dick Warlock's H2 "Hero" which was the actual screen used mask used in the 1978 Halloween film. Only 30 masks were made. This is a very sought after piece and is condered by most to be the best H2 mask ever made. The majority of the masks have a brownish red hair color, however Ken ran out of hair towards the end of the run and a handful of the masks were finished with a dark brown hair. Also, due to the fact that Ken made these masks in the dog of winter, a large number of the masks have numerous air bubbles inde, but this is no cause for concern given the type of latex the Ken used which is extremely durable. #1. THE NAG "H78" MASK

The Halloween 78 mask by Greek sculptor Nikolas Dreos, Nikolas Art Gallery NAG and finished by artist James Carter JC.

http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/04. Halloween 78 is an extremely popular H1 mask made by Nikolas Art Gallery. Due to the accuracy of the sculpt and the finish varying quite a bit, Halloween 78 is a favorite candidate of Myers collectors for converon. Myers Net member All Hallows Ghost did the majority of the original converons, but later, members Bry and JC_70 converted a number of copies as well. The converons typically involve new hair and additional weathering.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 10/31/2011 at 05:26 AM | 86161
I am floored by the detail that was put into all these masks.

The sculptors that made these masks obviously put endless time and labor into making these as perfect as posble. Thanks for the list, it was a good read, but also sad that big buness is cracking down on the indie artists; just goes to show that they can't even compete with what these sculptors are (or were) churning out.
jasondaman8 Monday 10/31/2011 at 08:56 AM | 86173
Nightowl Productions "Creep" is also very impresve, makes me foam at the mouth :-)
reelybored Monday 10/31/2011 at 11:13 AM | 86174
I agree with most of the mask on this list but I would add the Psycho in here instead of the Halloween 78 mask. Not hating on anyones work but for some reason the 78 just never gives me the same feeling the Psycho does.

It would be cool to see a Psycho done up by JC.
Sephit Monday 10/31/2011 at 07:34 PM | 86201
My personal favorite (from what I've seen) is definitely the NIGHTSTALKER... all of these are great masks though...

Kidtut Monday 1/02/2012 at 02:26 AM | 88862
I would also like to throw in there, the Nightstalker by White Mask Productions. I'm still puzzled by why so many people don't like Chris' work -- from White Mask Productions. But he's definitely one of the eaer going artists out there now, and he makes killer masks at great prices. If anyone needs to check him out, vit:

http://www.whitehalloweenmasks.com/. I hope the adverting here is ok! I apologize if it isn't :-(
VeganRichy Tuesday 1/03/2012 at 04:16 PM | 88923
I would also like to throw in there, the Nightstalker by White Mask Productions. I'm still puzzled by why so many people don't like Chris' work -- from White Mask Productions. But he's definitely one of the eaer going artists out there now, and he makes killer masks at great prices. If anyone needs to check him out, vit:

http://www.whitehalloweenmasks.com/. I hope the adverting here is ok! I apologize if it isn't :-( Dude! I just became a member and although the Nighstalker is nice, the new Legendary H1 is amazing! So is the new Legendary H2! Definitely way better than the masks listed on this thread although I can't speak for the DB2 or KH/DW but it looks way more accurate than the Nag H78.
Sephit Wednesday 1/04/2012 at 03:21 AM | 88961

http://www.whitehalloweenmasks.com/. I hope the adverting here is ok! I apologize if it isn't :-( Dude! I just became a member and although the Nighstalker is nice, the new Legendary H1 is amazing! So is the new Legendary H2! Definitely way better than the masks listed on this thread although I can't speak for the DB2 or KH/DW but it looks way more accurate than the Nag H78.

I forgot to even mention those, yes -- those new legendary masks are even better. I can't wait to own one of my own, and Chris really is a great guy to deal with! Thanks for mentioning those for me!
VeganRichy Wednesday 1/04/2012 at 03:36 PM | 88978