Forums Horror Movie Talk
WTF? Elijah Wood Cast As Frank Zito In The Remake Of 'Maniac'

A while back we reported that Alexandre Aja was remaking William Lustig's clasc slasher Maniac. And now Bloody Disgusting has learned that Elijah Wood and Nora Arnezeder have been cast in the remake as the characters "Anna" and "Frank."

Normally I keep my opinions to myself, but quite frankly I find this to be a disgrace to the late, great Joe Spinell who was phenomena in his role as the schizophrenic Frank Zito.

Maniac centered around "a schizoid serial killer who randomly stalks and kills various young women in New York, which he sees as revenge for the mistreatment he got while being raised by his own abuve mother."

Check out an image of Frank from the original which was released in 1980, and then begin to scrath your ask and repeatedly ask "why Eiijah Wood?"

Franck Khalfoun will be handling the directorial duties.

Source: B-D
Anonymous Thursday 11/03/2011 at 12:26 AM | 86353
I'm actually fond of this idea. I think Joseph Gordon Levitt would have been a better choice, but Elijah is so insanely versatile, I think he'll do a damn good job actually. I'm picturing his role in n City, and yeah... I can see this working out, although there's a masve difference between the roles.

I am not however very fond of Aja directing this one. It's time he started really working on original films. He's great, but let's see him tackle a bit more original material, PLEASE!
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 11/03/2011 at 01:08 AM | 86355
I'm gonna give Elijah the benefit of the doubt on this one. He was pretty creepy in n City. Last time I jumped the gun on internet remake news I was pleasantly surprised to find I was wrong, so this could be cool. Wait and see.
the_vengeful_machete Thursday 11/03/2011 at 01:43 AM | 86358
I've been a fan of Elijah nce Radio Flyer and I agree he was quite perfect in n City so I wouldn't give him a hard time just yet.
Sephit Thursday 11/03/2011 at 05:31 AM | 86375
Elijah Wood has that neglected, ignored social outcast look about him. And his eyes...look into his eyes and tell me they aren't freakin creepy. I think he can pull it off.
Illinois-Michael Friday 11/04/2011 at 04:20 AM | 86433
Elijah would may pass as a nerdy sociopathic, pervert serial killer....but as an insane super-intendant prowling the scummy bowels of NYC at night???? PLEASE...... What, is Aja going to change Frank Zito from the middle aged grimy madman into a manhattanite stalker geek? thumbs down and big fuck off and die. Joe Spinell is turning in his grave.
ny ghoul Friday 11/04/2011 at 05:53 PM | 86467