Forums Horror Movie Talk
Was 'The Wolfman' Really That Shitty? Universal President Ron Meyer Seems To Think So

Some movies are really good and some are just plain stinkers - just ask Universal's Head Honcho Ron Meyers who's not afraid to speak his mind.

Recently Meyer (pictured below) appeared at the Savannah Film Festival and spoke openly to students and staff from the Savannah College of Art & Degn about his fortuitous rise through Hollywood's ranks and the many well-publicized moves Universal has made under his tenure, for better and for worse.

The founder of CAA and Predent/COO of Universal Studios admitting that a lot of Universal's flops, namely Cowboys & Aliens, Land of the Lost and The Wolfman, were all turds!

"We make a lot of shitty movies. Every one of them breaks my heart," Meyer said. "We set out to make good ones. One of the worst movies we ever made was 'Wolfman.' 'Wolfman' and 'Babe 2' are two of the shittiest movies we put out, but by the same token we made movies we believe in." Myers also added," It’s one of those movies , the moment I saw it I thought, 'What have we all done here?' That movie was crappy...the cast was awful. The director was wrong. Benicio

stunk. It all stunk." Talk about being blunt!!

So now that you know what the head cheese at Universal thinks, do you guys agree?

To read more of the interview with Deadline please click HERE.

Source: Deadline
Anonymous Friday 11/04/2011 at 01:04 AM | 86414
like it had some redeeming qualities. I just can't think of any right this second. lol. The gore was pretty sweet. the tranformation sequences were cool. just these things were few and far between. and i liked the look of the film. other than that...yes, the wolfman was indeed a shitty movie.
the_vengeful_machete Friday 11/04/2011 at 01:29 AM | 86417
that and daybreakers. daybreakers also was a shitty movie. tsk tsk.
the_vengeful_machete Friday 11/04/2011 at 01:30 AM | 86418
No way. I can't believe that the guy that supported removing the director more than half way through filming and agreed to adding more digital effects is blaming everyone else. This wasn't the perfect film, but it's definitely good and very creepy at moments. Sadly most of it's flaws come from the fact that there was such a scattered focus during production. But the thing that really gets me is all the practical effects replaced by digital. It's obvious at times of special effects(heads being smacked off and arms being flung around). Over all though I totally disagree with Ron Meyer.

Does anyone remember the first teaser trailer (before the director was replaced) and how amazing it looked? I'd love to see it again but I'm sure they took it down once the change was made.
weaponx Friday 11/04/2011 at 01:41 AM | 86422
Why does Meyer think Universal's movies are shitty in hindght? That suggests to me that the greatness of a movie is based on box office numbers and critic reviews. lol that sounds kind of hypocritical. A shitty movie is going to be shitty BEFORE it reaches theaters. Why can't they spot it as it's being made?

I disagree with what he says. Cowboys & Aliens was fun, and The Wolfman was a great remake of the clasc IMO.

Know what?

Fuck Meyer.

Fuck him in the goat ass.

There, I said it.

>_>
Jonny Sicko Friday 11/04/2011 at 01:44 AM | 86423
it's DEF NOT a GOOD movie. I did enjoy some shots, and theres some decent atmosphere at times.

At least he owns up to it lol
Matt_Molgaard Friday 11/04/2011 at 01:45 AM | 86424

Daybreakers is another movie that could have been awesome. But it had the same problem with producers changing things. Mostly the story instead of letting writers do their jobs. It's the reason the end is so weird and makes no damn sense and all the main characters pop up alive. lol.
weaponx Friday 11/04/2011 at 01:46 AM | 86425

Daybreakers is another movie that could have been awesome. But it had the same problem with producers changing things. Mostly the story instead of letting writers do their jobs. It's the reason the end is so weird and makes no damn sense and all the main characters pop up alive. lol.

Unfortuantely, to justify their overbloated saleries, producers have the inherint itch to poke their noses where they don't belong. These guys are the moneybags. Let the creative people do their job. The best producers have all been writers and directors, and know when to keep their mouths shut. Apparently, they are small in number...these good producers.
the_vengeful_machete Friday 11/04/2011 at 12:19 PM | 86448
I loved The Wolfman. It was a great popcorn flick, reminded me a bit of Sleepy Hollow (although Sleepy Hollow is far far better).
joshk1986 Friday 11/04/2011 at 12:48 PM | 86452
I loved The Wolfman. It was a great popcorn flick, reminded me a bit of Sleepy Hollow (although Sleepy Hollow is far far better).

I agree!!

And I have a bit of a "man crush" on Anthony Hopkins. He's an amazing actor and I've liked every movie he's been in. And I really enjoyed the part he played in Wolfman. It was certainly not an Oscar worthy movie, but for me it was very enjoyable. And that's how I rate movies. And that goes for most of the cheesy B movies I've seen. If it makes me laugh or succeeds in grosng me out or disturbs me in some way, then the movie has done it's job.
Jonny Sicko Friday 11/04/2011 at 02:08 PM | 86455