Forums Horror Movie Talk
Have You Ever Had A Nightmare That Would Make A Good Horror Movie?

Every once in a while, I have a nightmare that is so unsettling, or features imagery so vivid and horrific, that even though it scared the crap out of me, I'm thankful as a horror fan that I got to experience it. As random as nightmares often are, with their disconnected plot threads and narrative jumps, they allow us to play a central role in our very own scary movies. When written down and analyzed for artistic value, nightmares can inspire great works, as many creative people have shown us all throughout human history. Have you ever had a nightmare that would make a great horror film? What do you remember of it?Provided we all agree not to steal each other's dreams (hey, there's a good horror movie concept right there!), it could be really cool to see whose head among this particular community is the scariest.

I'll tell you a bit about the most recent nightmare a had. I was in a shopping mall that seemed really delapitated. The walls were tinged with yellow and rust colors and the lights overhead kept flickering, and weren't very bright to begin with. There weren't many shoppers, and those there were seemed to be just shambling aimlessly around. I realized I couldn't remember where this mall was, or why I was there. I started to panic a little, so I ducked into a store to buy a drink, thinking drinking it might somehow help me remember to breathe. As I was turning from the drink case, a middle aged lady with badly bleached, dirty hair and a gaunt face stopped me. She asked if I remembered her, and I was sure I'd never met her. She said she had bought me food once and said she needed food now, so I should buy her some. I knew she was full of it, but she looked so thin and crazed, I just figured she must be hungry enough to try to lie her way into a meal. I felt bad for her, and a little freaked out for myself, so I just gave her a bill (not sure what denomination, hope it wasn't just a dollar) and started walking away. As I was stepping back into the main mall, I heard a gruff, male voice yell "HEY!" at my back. A burly redneck I had never seen before in my life came running up to me and said "I know you!". "Really?", I said, truly wondering now if I had gone crazy, or the world had. He said he had jumped my car for me once, and asked if I could get him some food to return the favor. Before I could form a reply, I was struck by the realization that he had the same gaunt face as the lady from a moment ago, even though he had a completely different, heavier body type. Even though no one had directly threatened me at this point, I suddenly was overcome with tremendous fear. I turned and started walking briskly away from the guy. I looked over my shoulder, and the guy wasn't following me or anything, just standing really still and looking at me. I felt compelled to start running anyway.When I turned my head to face front again, I saw that I was in a spacious corridor with a big, abstract sculpture of some sort displayed in the middle of it. There was no one else around but me, and one young boy of about 8 who was standing extremely still in front of the statue, watching me run in his direction. There was something menacing about his stillness, but I figured I would just run around him and out the door a few yards behind the sculpture. There was plenty of room for me to avoid contact.As I started to go around him, he suddenly moved with astonishing speed and grabbed my arm. He told me I couldn't leave, but I tried to ignore him and keep going. I realized he was extremely heavy for a kid his ze and age, and pretty damn strong, too. I kept trying to get away, and he grabbed my shoulder through my jacket as well. Now he had me by the lower arm as well as the shoulder and I could barely pull away from him at all. He smiled at me, tore the sleeve of my jacket off, and then ealy peeled all 3 layers of my skin off the bone of my arm from the shoulder to the fingers and tossed my arm skin ade like it was another sleeve. Obviously, at this point, I began to scream like a lunatic and I punched him in the head. I didn't care if he was a kid, he was some kind of psycho mutant kid and he was tearing me apart. His head squished in around my hand like lly putty. I pulled my hand back and his face just molded back into shape. He opened his mouth and his teeth started growing longer and pointier, and turned black. I noticed that he was emitting some kind of eerie blue light from deep in his throat. He started pulling me towards his mouth and I could do nothing to get away.That's when I woke up. I was utterly terrified for about 5 minutes, before I proclaimed this nightmare awesome. If I were to try to turn it into a film, I don't know if I'd lead with the people asking for food part, but there does seem to be some sort of moral buried in the dream about the desperation of consumerism, and the way that marketing tries to convince people to put fashion and name brands ahead of bac necesties such as nourishment. And the psycho mutant kid was an amazing and terrifying creation of my subconscious. I still shudder a little sometimes when I think about him. Alright, everyone. I showed you mine, now it's time to show me yours.
ImmortalSidneyP Friday 11/04/2011 at 03:14 PM | 86456
I've got a couple that are now scripts.

One follows a pair of females who find themselves targeted by a serial killer, but some INSANE twists lead to an eventual supernatural encounter that takes place decades after an initial encounter with the killer; of which only one survives. It gets really crazy, especially in the final act, so I don't want to give away too much on that, as I hope to finish refining it and do some shopping.

I have another that is really a homage type of setup. Lot of old nods to universal and hammer monsters, but it involves a kid who has a curse placed upon him by someone in the family. The end result is really gruesome, and sees some alternate universe activity happening.

And my final script that I crafted from a dream appears to be a mple alien invaon flick, but the dream took some insane turns and the script reflects that in a major way. I mean SERIOUSLY drastic shifts in the story that actually fit really well; it's probably the most complex and dynamic of the scripts I've worked.

All results of some fucked up dreams. And I'm happy about the idea that two of three are REALLY original ideas, believe it or not.
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 11/05/2011 at 06:23 PM | 86509

One follows a pair of females who find themselves targeted by a serial killer, but some INSANE twists lead to an eventual supernatural encounter that takes place decades after an initial encounter with the killer; of which only one survives. It gets really crazy, especially in the final act, so I don't want to give away too much on that, as I hope to finish refining it and do some shopping.

I have another that is really a homage type of setup. Lot of old nods to universal and hammer monsters, but it involves a kid who has a curse placed upon him by someone in the family. The end result is really gruesome, and sees some alternate universe activity happening.

And my final script that I crafted from a dream appears to be a mple alien invaon flick, but the dream took some insane turns and the script reflects that in a major way. I mean SERIOUSLY drastic shifts in the story that actually fit really well; it's probably the most complex and dynamic of the scripts I've worked.

All results of some fucked up dreams. And I'm happy about the idea that two of three are REALLY original ideas, believe it or not.

I myself have written a few screenplays--four to date actually. I wanted to shop ' em around but got discouraged. We all have a pretty good idea how Hollywood works, right? I'm very picky when it comes to my literary "babies" and don't want some studio raping them. You know, when a movie sucks, don't blame the writer. Anyway, don't be discouraged, go for it, and let me know how it turns out. Maybe you'll inspire me to keep on keepin' on. lol!!!

As for my nightmares? Oh yeah, more than a couple have been turned into screenplays, but alas, see above statement.
the_vengeful_machete Saturday 11/05/2011 at 06:50 PM | 86512

I myself have written a few screenplays--four to date actually. I wanted to shop ' em around but got discouraged. We all have a pretty good idea how Hollywood works, right? I'm very picky when it comes to my literary "babies" and don't want some studio raping them. You know, when a movie sucks, don't blame the writer. Anyway, don't be discouraged, go for it, and let me know how it turns out. Maybe you'll inspire me to keep on keepin' on. lol!!!

As for my nightmares? Oh yeah, more than a couple have been turned into screenplays, but alas, see above statement.

what I aim to do is assemble a credible team (I've got that for the most part) and shoot 10-15 minute shorts, with the general idea plotted out for potential buyers. If I can get an official indie film shot on a 10k-20k budget out of one of these projects, I think I can go somewhere from there. While cinematic journalism isn't the highest paying job in the world, it opens some incredible doors, and i've got some big recognizable actors interested in working with me as well as a really sound director who's just inexperienced at this point. If i can bring the rest of the crew together, I think I just might be able to clear a hurdle that's been plaguing me for a while.
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 11/05/2011 at 07:00 PM | 86514

what I aim to do is assemble a credible team (I've got that for the most part) and shoot 10-15 minute shorts, with the general idea plotted out for potential buyers. If I can get an official indie film shot on a 10k-20k budget out of one of these projects, I think I can go somewhere from there. While cinematic journalism isn't the highest paying job in the world, it opens some incredible doors, and i've got some big recognizable actors interested in working with me as well as a really sound director who's just inexperienced at this point. If i can bring the rest of the crew together, I think I just might be able to clear a hurdle that's been plaguing me for a while.

Wow, man, sounds like you've got it together for the most part. I definitely wish you the best of luck, and will be looking forward to seeing some of your stuff in the future.

As I understand it, in Hollywood or the Indie circuit...it's not what you know, but who you know...nudge nudge. wink wink. Know what I'm sayin, man? Huh? JK. But good luck!!!
the_vengeful_machete Saturday 11/05/2011 at 07:14 PM | 86515

Wow, man, sounds like you've got it together for the most part. I definitely wish you the best of luck, and will be looking forward to seeing some of your stuff in the future.

As I understand it, in Hollywood or the Indie circuit...it's not what you know, but who you know...nudge nudge. wink wink. Know what I'm sayin, man? Huh? JK. But good luck

If I can put things together - I'd be more than happy to help you out

you should pm me your personal info - we can keep in direct contact and perhaps build on some work together.
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 11/05/2011 at 07:32 PM | 86517
I have awesome dreams like this very frequently and I always felt like there was a reason why, I realized my love for cinema and so I started writing all of my dreams down as potential scripts. The only problem being that my dreams are a lot more elaborate than the current budget and skills allow so I'm making short films to beef up my skills and get ready to make trailers that look as profesonal as can be to shop around, although I do plan to make at least one of them into a shorter film as well. WE are the dreamers of a dream.
Sephit Sunday 11/06/2011 at 06:07 PM | 86571
I have had numerous nightmares in my life, and I find them interesting. Sometimes, I know I am in a dream. I write a lot of scripts, songs and lyrics. Sometimes I try to scare myself, and give myself nightmares, but it's complicated because I rarely do. I don't like anything I write, but a lot of people tell me that they like it, and that someday I will be a film maker and a mucian like I want to be, but, I doubt it so. One of my most vivid and recent nightmares, is something that I quick got up to write about and later in the day, showed my best friend at School, and even they thought it was disturbing.
darkerdays Monday 11/07/2011 at 12:56 AM | 86591
I'm glad this topic has generated such interesting discuson. I had a feeling it might. I enjoyed hearing bits of everyone's dreams and I hope they keep coming. I have a lot of projects that I have started or that I plan to start related to dreams I've had, whether they be scripts for movies, manuscripts for books or ideas for games. This thread will hopefully inspire me to get in in gear and find more time to work on them. Matt, you put me to shame with how far you seem to have come toward bringing your ideas to fruition.
ImmortalSidneyP Monday 11/07/2011 at 02:56 AM | 86607
Also, someone mentioned an alien invaon dream, and I just wanted to say I used to have a recurring dream as a child that was somewhat milar. I would always hear a huge crash in the back yard, and go out to find an alien spaceship lying in ruins all over. The dream would always end just as I was picking through the rubble and coming upon an alien that was either dead or unconscious.
ImmortalSidneyP Monday 11/07/2011 at 02:58 AM | 86608
Yes and i write them down as soon as i wake up. I just wish i had the means to do something with them.
AgnesItsMeBilly Monday 11/07/2011 at 08:23 PM | 86639
I have had numerous nightmares in my life, and I find them interesting. Sometimes, I know I am in a dream. I write a lot of scripts, songs and lyrics. Sometimes I try to scare myself, and give myself nightmares, but it's complicated because I rarely do. I don't like anything I write, but a lot of people tell me that they like it, and that someday I will be a film maker and a mucian like I want to be, but, I doubt it so. One of my most vivid and recent nightmares, is something that I quick got up to write about and later in the day, showed my best friend at School, and even they thought it was disturbing.

You shouldn't doubt yourself so much man, I use to be somewhat milar but I happened to get lucky and meet some likeminded people who want to help make my scripts into reality. Last night we finished Day 2 of the new film and trust me it was super hectic and the weather was against us.

It really set things back and I was having to improvise so many scenes nce the locations were all getting rained on, I'm just hoping we got everything because there are way too many people involved on this project to reshoot much at all. With make up and blood involved many of the shots had to be within a take or two.

Someone's car even got ran into and we finished about two hours past schedule but I'd rather be working on a film having fun than working at my dayjob moping trust me on that!
Sephit Monday 11/07/2011 at 10:21 PM | 86643