Forums Horror Movie Talk
Movies You Hate to Love - JASON X, HALLOWEEN 2 Fans & Others Please Stand Up!

I just saw an article here on HorrorBId where it was movies you love to hate...but what about the ones you hate to love? Those really bad acting, low budget, critically panned movies that you keep in the back of your closet?

I really like the One Missed Call remake. It's laughably awesome. (that and I fall asleep through the original every time I try and watch it).

I also like The Fog remake...not so much the movie, but I really like that they gave it a back story.

Wes Craven's Cursed...it really doesn't take itself seriously and the movie is kind of entertaining, even with Christina Ricci's fivehead. Lol.

I"m pretty sure I have more but can't think of any.

What are your favorite hate to love horror movies?

Ryze Friday 11/04/2011 at 07:29 PM | 86470
Not sure if there are any movies that I hate to love lol. That sounds a bit contradictory. But, I have a long list of movies that are typically condered poorly crafted, which I find highly amung.

Here's a little list:

The Re-Animator movies...

From Beyond Dr Mordrid - Typically anything with Jeffrey Combs in it, I find entertaining The movie "The Stuff"... Which is completely and absolutely retarded in every way, I find hilarious Troll 2... Bad Taste White Trash Brainscan Dead-Alive John Waters movies... ultimate in bad taste lol Killer Klowns from Outer Space... Total clasc Gymkata - The worst, funniest american kung-fu movie ever made The Crippled Masters - Another hilariously awful kung-fu movie with amputees... Leprechaun in Space The Night of the Living Dead remake Circuitry Man 1 & 2- If you haven't seen these, you need to. Total camp sci fi. Meet the Feebles - A total clasc The Darkman series - because they're stupid AND great at the same time. Dr. Giggles Ice Cream Man - Clint Howard = Awesome B movie actor The Gingerdead Man... Holy jebus. Puppet Master series....Demonic Toys....Dollman The Dentist 1 and 2 Blood Diner - Another totally stupid and hilarious movie The Hills Have Eyes (old veron)

The lent Night, Deadly Night series TCM 1-3. I'm a ck fuck, alright? The scenes with "Grandpa" being cheered on to beat people in the head with a hammer he keeps dropping and can barely hoist = hilarious to me. Invaders From Mars was pretty stupid and entertaining... Critters.... Munchies.... Ghoulies... Anything with ridiculously poorly crafted puppets trying to kill people = entertaining to me lol. The old Tales From the Crypt on HBO = Great The Slumber Party Massacre movies...This list could go on.

Most of these require a serious amount of beers to reach the level of intellectual derailment needed to watch them lol. But that being said, I'm a firm believer that everything is better when you're drunk :P

I don't have movies I hate to love. I have movies I like for a variety of reasons, and movies I dislike so much they make me want to punch babies >_<
Jonny Sicko Saturday 11/05/2011 at 03:58 AM | 86494
Here are a few of my guilty pleasures...

Cursed. It's ridiculousness only reinforced when the werewolf gives Christina Ricci the finger. LOL!!!

The Full Moon Puppet Master series. OMFG!!! Now those movies require an I.V. hook-up loaded with booze.

Return of the Living Dead movies beyond 2. The first 2 are great sober! Everyone after the second and you have to be drinking something to enjoy them. LOL!!!

Jaws 2: It's Roy Mother Fuckin' Sheider yo!!!

King Kong 1976 w/ Jeff Bridges and Jesca Lange. The best in the series in my opinion.

King Kong Lives! Saw that one in theatres at the tender age of x.

The Howling III: The Marsupials. Must. Be. Shitfaced. To. Enjoy. Mate.

Tales From the Crypt: Bordello of Blood. The lovely Angie Everheart is absolutley terrible in this.

Halloween 5: hey, it's better than Halloween: Ressurection. Am I right? wink wink. nudge nudge.

The Hills Run Red: Baby Face just looks awesome.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2: C R A Z Y all the W A Z Y... (check out my article on this in Horror Movie Reviews)

And many many more...
the_vengeful_machete Saturday 11/05/2011 at 06:38 PM | 86510
Bordello of Blood lol. Almost forgot about that one... Dennis Miller was great in that. Guess I should add anything made by Troma to the list lol.
Jonny Sicko Saturday 11/05/2011 at 09:41 PM | 86525
Jason X is def up there

original Piranha

Jaws 2 fore sure

Bordello of Blood lol
Matt_Molgaard Sunday 11/06/2011 at 12:13 AM | 86534
Here's a few that I love but others hate:

April Fool's Day Blood Beach Bad Dreams Blood Diner Creepshow 2 Dr. Giggles Friday the 13th Part VIII-X Ghost Town Halloween 5 Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers Halloween: Resurrection Killer Workout The Mutilator Freddy's Dead The Pool Body Count Iced Shredder lent, Night Deadly Night Part 2 Slumber Party Massacre II Superstition Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 Rocktober Blood Trick or Treat The Tripper The Keep Dreamaniac Rawhead Rex To All A Goodnight Home Sweet Home The Supernaturals Prom Night III Killer Party Uncle Sam Galaxy of Terror Fright Night Part 2 Chillerama Maximum Overdrive Night of the Demon (not "Demons") Club Dread Demons 2 Psycho Cop 2

And, of course, SHARK NIGHT!
ObscureCinema101 Sunday 11/06/2011 at 12:35 AM | 86535
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare. Sleepwalkers. The Mangler. A Return To Salem's Lot. Vampire In Venice.
Evilution Sunday 11/06/2011 at 12:39 AM | 86536
Also:

Leprechaun 1-5 (the opening to "In Tha Hood" cracks me up so much) Viting Hours Wishmaster 1-2 Jack Frost 1-2 Final Destination 1-5 Slaughter High Hospital Massacre Death Ship
ObscureCinema101 Sunday 11/06/2011 at 12:41 AM | 86537
all the children of the corn movies, Jason X, TCM part 2 and 3,

leprechaun, puppet master, house of the dead. are some.
hm4life Sunday 11/06/2011 at 01:39 AM | 86539
Jaws the Revenge Halloween 5

Those ade, I really don't hate to love any movie. If I love the movie, then I love it!
joshk1986 Sunday 11/06/2011 at 05:47 AM | 86542
Jason Goes to Hell, Leprechaun in Da Hood, and Troll 2
BloodyAdored Sunday 11/06/2011 at 08:05 AM | 86543
I don't hate to love these films but most of these get a bad rep:

Jason X, Halloween: The curse of Michael Myers, Jaws the Revenge, Prom Night remake (Call me crazy but I found it more entertaining than the original), Final Denation 1-5, Slither, Hostel 1,2
Sephit Sunday 11/06/2011 at 08:25 AM | 86545
Sometimes bad movies are the best kinds of movies and other times, bad movies are just bad movies. Some of my favorite "so bad theyre good" movies are...

Jason X

House of the Dead 1-2

Asylum of the Damned Night of the Demons remake April Fools Day remake S.Darko (not exactly horror but close enough) Jaws: The Revenge (Roaring shark? C'mon, thats awesome!)

Black Christmas remake

Return to Sleepaway Camp Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2

BTW, Ive been viting this te for a long while now but just recently gned up for the boards. Just wanted to say how much I love this te. Its very different from the rest. Keep doin' what youre doin'!
NorallecoN Sunday 11/06/2011 at 11:14 AM | 86548
Let me think... 1. Freddy vs Jason.... People tell me it was a horrible movie but I just don't see it. And show some respect for Robert Englund's final performance as Freddy Krueger. 2. Van Helng 3. the Nightmare On Elm Street Remake and 4. Jason X...... Not for the movie, but the cool mask Jason had before he went Uber, Kane Hodder's last performance as Jason, and of course the liquid Nitrogen death scene...
DarkSky Sunday 11/06/2011 at 11:36 AM | 86549
Cabin Fever is one of my favorite movies, not just horror movies, of all time.
Preston Eleven Sunday 11/06/2011 at 11:42 AM | 86551
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...

Bad Moon. Love the werewolf in that.

Rob Zombie's Halloween II. Fo sho'

You know, I can even stand to t through Jaws: The Revenge.

And I dig Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers infintiely more than H20 and Ressurection. Sheesh!!!
the_vengeful_machete Sunday 11/06/2011 at 02:16 PM | 86558
Jason Goes to Hell, Leprechaun in Da Hood, and Troll 2

Troll 2? Muhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhaw ehe cough cough cough eh ehhehehe!!!
the_vengeful_machete Sunday 11/06/2011 at 02:19 PM | 86559
Stay Alive...... Doom Asylum....drinking games can be made from this cheesefest. If you have not seen it...check hulu plus.! Free Trial Hellraiser 5 Inferno Shocker Texas chainsaw massacre: next generation...hell every TCM made...especially remakes Arena...not really horror i know. but Steve Armstrong kicks intergalactic ass of course Jason X and Halloween 2 as previously listed on here Chopping Mall House 2.....f it..any horror movie Royal Dano is in. ""give me back mah dawg!" Somebody listed Night of the living dead remake...well...i love to love that one.lol Popcorn Land of the Dead Deep Ring Nightmare on Elm Street Remake...hell most of platinum dunes ade from Amittyville. Maniac Cops 1-3 Maximum Overdrive....chop chop chop chop chop Phantasm 3....i like them all...but there is something different about that one that makes me want to list it.
Lunch Meat Sunday 11/06/2011 at 04:30 PM | 86567
Army Of Darkness Bad Taste Basket Case Final Destination (franchise) Re-Animator

Return Of The Living Dead 1 & 2 LOL Waxwork

shit, man... i could go on forever. Looking over at my old school VHS collection i have at least 100 of these "guilty pleasure" flicks. I actually made a thread about this not too long ago. I love that that we can acknowledge how bad these movies are and thats part of the reason we enjoy them so much.
AgnesItsMeBilly Sunday 11/06/2011 at 10:40 PM | 86584
Cabin Fever is one of my favorite movies, not just horror movies, of all time.

Eli Roth at his best. Still a guilty pleasure for me, though. Eli wanted it to be absolutely retarded, campy acting, and over the top..

he knew what he was doing.
AgnesItsMeBilly Sunday 11/06/2011 at 10:44 PM | 86585
As many of you can tell by my "joined date" I've mainly been a lurker to these here parts. But as of late these topics are just getting better and better. For me I would have to say Jason X is the movie I "hate to love". Honestly its like they bashed their heads on a keyboard to get the script. The only reason it holds a special place in my heart is the fact that it came out just when I was starting to get into horror. Sad to say this was one of my first Jason films. Apart from the "story" it has some great kills, and lets be honest Uber Jason is and always will be BADASS!!!
psychosocial91 Sunday 11/06/2011 at 11:00 PM | 86586
Wrestlemaniac and Goth for me.

I found Jason X too harrowing to enjoy it on any level.

Halloween Resurrection was entertaining though.

nce everyone is throwing up lists here's a few others:

Zombie Strippers- Robert Englund is fantastic and the mexican stereotype scene is pure quality Coraline- Kids film but it's creepy and the only decent thing Tim Burton has produced House of Wax latest remake
Lordzola Monday 11/07/2011 at 03:04 AM | 86609
This is a great topic and I don't want to derail it but I feel embarrassed to like The Mothman Prophecies! It gets a bad wrap. Not exactly horror, more of a thriller/drama but still a bit terrifying at moments. I like the damn movie. There that's off my chest! What a relief, I can now come here to cry with people that understand! LOL!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 11/07/2011 at 03:33 AM | 86612
I love

H2 Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 And probably a lot of horror movies I am not even aware are condered "bad", because, well I don't really give a fuck what critics say.
Moon Monday 11/07/2011 at 03:57 AM | 86616
For me it's: Halloween 5-- I have to love the last chase sequence with Jamie in the laundry shoot, although the muteness was stupid. It was fun to see Loomis terrorizing the poor girl and appearing even more crazy. After the end of 4 i agree its a huge let down. Although it is interesting to see the whole psychic connection thing.

Halloween 2 2009-- I dont love this as your typical Halloween film, i love this as pyschological horror and because its rare in the way it not only leaves its scars on its survivors (Vibly-- i might add) but explores what happens after trauma. Laurie 2009 is the more realistic (minus psychic attacks and pyschic connection to Micheal), look at what Really happens to the last girl after her friends and family are brutally murdered and shes terrorized by some crazed psycho killer. I loved that zombie did that because every action that Laurie, Annie and even Brackett made between the 2 films makes sense in how different people deal with trauma.

Dont believe me heres a mini list.

Laurie-- Was--- virginal, innocent and all around do it by the books kid. Now--- becomes something shes not at heart because she did it all by the book but she lost everything, anyway. so here comes the sex, drugs, and rock and roll cause whats the point? bad shit happens to good people. she also feels a huge guilt for annie most of all (because leaving annie with micheal toward the end of the remake, where annie could have been killed has left a huge scar on her.--- this is displayed when she refuses to leave annie towards the end of H2), so she pushes her away cause annie isnt who she was anymore and shes convinced she had a hand in that. Not to mention the guilt she feels for her parents and probably Linda

Annie-- Was-- free spirited, wise cracking sexually active fun teen. Now-- that fun got her boyfriend killed and got her terrorized for it. if u notice in this remake annie never leaves the house, she becomes surrogate mom even though her and laurie in the film are the same age. annie is doing subconsciously what she probably feels will keep her safe--- being the good girl even becoming concerned with how she eats and being healthy. she does all this to move on. annie has her solution be good and nothing happens, laurie although she wants to be there for her, she resents it cause all laurie does is nk farther down into depreson.

But this its self if an observation on two totally completly different paths into healing.

Brackett-- Was-- the father who thought his family wont be touched, he was the sheriff after all. Now-- is the father who failed his daughter and probably didnt really step in to say "annie u need to go out sometimes". hes paranoid and still carries some guilt. he failed to protect these two girls in the past and he wont make the same mistake again.

I know i wrote too much, but if i post i love H2 2009 you gotta defend why cause i understand why people hate it as well. i hate it as a Halloween film cause its not one. but i love it as a look into what happens to survivors after trauma.
lostlife1325 Monday 11/07/2011 at 04:18 AM | 86617
For me it's: Halloween 5-- I have to love the last chase sequence with Jamie in the laundry shoot, although the muteness was stupid. It was fun to see Loomis terrorizing the poor girl and appearing even more crazy. After the end of 4 i agree its a huge let down. Although it is interesting to see the whole psychic connection thing.

Halloween 2 2009-- I dont love this as your typical Halloween film, i love this as pyschological horror and because its rare in the way it not only leaves its scars on its survivors (Vibly-- i might add) but explores what happens after trauma. Laurie 2009 is the more realistic (minus psychic attacks and pyschic connection to Micheal), look at what Really happens to the last girl after her friends and family are brutally murdered and shes terrorized by some crazed psycho killer. I loved that zombie did that because every action that Laurie, Annie and even Brackett made between the 2 films makes sense in how different people deal with trauma.

Dont believe me heres a mini list.

Laurie-- Was--- virginal, innocent and all around do it by the books kid. Now--- becomes something shes not at heart because she did it all by the book but she lost everything, anyway. so here comes the sex, drugs, and rock and roll cause whats the point? bad shit happens to good people. she also feels a huge guilt for annie most of all (because leaving annie with micheal toward the end of the remake, where annie could have been killed has left a huge scar on her.--- this is displayed when she refuses to leave annie towards the end of H2), so she pushes her away cause annie isnt who she was anymore and shes convinced she had a hand in that. Not to mention the guilt she feels for her parents and probably Linda

Annie-- Was-- free spirited, wise cracking sexually active fun teen. Now-- that fun got her boyfriend killed and got her terrorized for it. if u notice in this remake annie never leaves the house, she becomes surrogate mom even though her and laurie in the film are the same age. annie is doing subconsciously what she probably feels will keep her safe--- being the good girl even becoming concerned with how she eats and being healthy. she does all this to move on. annie has her solution be good and nothing happens, laurie although she wants to be there for her, she resents it cause all laurie does is nk farther down into depreson.

But this its self if an observation on two totally completly different paths into healing.

Brackett-- Was-- the father who thought his family wont be touched, he was the sheriff after all. Now-- is the father who failed his daughter and probably didnt really step in to say "annie u need to go out sometimes". hes paranoid and still carries some guilt. he failed to protect these two girls in the past and he wont make the same mistake again.

I know i wrote too much, but if i post i love H2 2009 you gotta defend why cause i understand why people hate it as well. i hate it as a Halloween film cause its not one. but i love it as a look into what happens to survivors after trauma.

I totally understand your reasoning man and I gotta admit that I was never bored during the entire film, it kept me entertained but with the opening being so powerful and set in a hospital like in the original H2, it sets itself up for a movie that seems to slowly get worse and the ending was definitely not my fave although it might have been better than some of the sequels endings, especially Resurrection with Busta Rymes or him in Jail with the mask still on etc.

The film had some cool kills and would have been badass if he had the damn mask on though! I don't hate H2, I just wanted more of a Halloween feel to it and would have done things differently.
Sephit Monday 11/07/2011 at 11:17 AM | 86624
Honestly though, how can anyone take H2 seriously with Michael Myers being unmasked and yelling "DIE!!!"?!

Absolutely ridiculous
joshk1986 Tuesday 11/08/2011 at 11:09 AM | 86671
I don't necessarily hate to love any movie, I just hate to catch crap from people for liking certain movies lol.

The only ones that come to my mind right now are:

* Tales From the Crypt: Bordello of Blood

* Jason X (the only Friday the 13th movie I actually enjoy)

* Rob Zombie's Halloween I and II (although as I've mentioned before, some of the new "trippy" aspects RZ brought in grow old fast)

* Vampires & Vampires: Los Muertos
AMadSquirrel21 Tuesday 11/08/2011 at 06:32 PM | 86689
I totally understand your reasoning man and I gotta admit that I was never bored during the entire film, it kept me entertained but with the opening being so powerful and set in a hospital like in the original H2, it sets itself up for a movie that seems to slowly get worse and the ending was definitely not my fave although it might have been better than some of the sequels endings, especially Resurrection with Busta Rymes or him in Jail with the mask still on etc.

The film had some cool kills and would have been badass if he had the damn mask on though! I don't hate H2, I just wanted more of a Halloween feel to it and would have done things differently.

i agree with the mask, i thought the beginning was really strong as well,

i could do without a lot of things in the film because it isnt perfect--- hobo meyers could have looked better, i wasnt feeling the torn mask, the white horse or the hill billyness, or even the uncut ending. i feel H2 has plenty of mistakes or just things that are just plain Zombie that cant be helped. but then i think well it is his film and i try to be open minded and view it as it reads Rob Zombie's H2 cause like u i do want a halloween feel to these films. although i do appreciate how thoughtful Zombie is and how hes brought character and motivation to the series as oppose to the original series where the only characters there were really, were loomis and Michael and those two were either not developed at all, or developed very ridiculously...of course im talking about Micheal. hopefully H3 can bring us that familiar halloween feel but not lose the substance Zombie gave the series.
lostlife1325 Wednesday 11/09/2011 at 07:08 AM | 86720
I just remembered another. The Wizard of Gore remake. It's really bad, the plot is a mess and the effects are horrid but I still like it. (I think mainly because I am a Bijou Phillips fanboy ^.^)
Ryze Friday 11/11/2011 at 07:15 PM | 86848