Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Most Pleasantly Surprising Horror Film?

Hi guys, new to the te so apologies if a milar article/theme has already been ran.

I was wondering what everyone's favourite surprise horror is?

Personally I finally watched "The Blair Witch" the other day and found it enjoyable condering everyone has slagged off the lack of action and apparent non-clear ending (which I thought was easy enough to grasp).

Low budget horror always seems to have a certain charm and the cheaper ones tend to never be a let down.

Anyone else surprised by a good horror recently?

LZ

Pictured Above: Blair Witch Figure Prototype.
Lordzola Monday 11/07/2011 at 02:54 AM | 86606
I actually just watched Human Centipede 2 last night. I went into it with zero expectations (having hated the first) and actually found it to be quite watchable. I thought the villain was way more disgusting and scary than the doctor in the first. I also liked that it was in black and white. The lack of colors gave it a grainy, dreary, and claustrophobic feel.

My major problem with this movie is that it could've been great, and wasn't. I think the whole Human Centipede thing is tired and played out, i felt the same way 45 minutes into the first one. If HC2 didn't involve creating a centipede out of 12 people i feel it would've been an above average slasher and a worthy homage to Cronenberg.
AgnesItsMeBilly Monday 11/07/2011 at 08:29 PM | 86640
I was incredibly surprised at how great Shark Night was (I don't care what you think; that movie was awesome!)

I was also surprised at how great The Keep was, nce I was expecting a slow, dull period piece, yet it turned out to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

I was also surprised at TerrorVion, nce I watched it for the sheer fact that I was bored and had nothing better to do. Same with Superstition.

I was also surprised at Suspiria, nce I had never seen an Italian horror flick at the time.

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers shot above my expectations due to all the hateful criticism. Bad Dreams, Blood Beach, Death Ship, The Tripper, An American Werewolf in London, April Fool's Day (1986), Dead & Buried, The Deadly Spawn, Body Snatchers, Viting Hours, Trick or Treat, Evil Laugh, and Paranormal Activity are others that really surprised me.
ObscureCinema101 Monday 11/07/2011 at 11:43 PM | 86647
Monsters. While not a horror movie per se, it had some very tense moments and a creepy atmosphere. I knew very little about the movie going in and I was glad. It knocked my frikkin socks off.
Cecil Tuesday 11/08/2011 at 01:36 AM | 86661
I actually just saw "The Collector" the other day. Again, watched it with zero expectations, found it surpringly decent. The premise was different than a lot of milar horror movies I've seen. Had a nice f'd up ending. Am looking forward to part 2.
Jonny Sicko Tuesday 11/08/2011 at 03:01 AM | 86664
I was incredibly surprised at how great Shark Night was (I don't care what you think; that movie was awesome!)

I was also surprised at how great The Keep was, nce I was expecting a slow, dull period piece, yet it turned out to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

I was also surprised at TerrorVion, nce I watched it for the sheer fact that I was bored and had nothing better to do. Same with Superstition.

I was also surprised at Suspiria, nce I had never seen an Italian horror flick at the time.

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers shot above my expectations due to all the hateful criticism. Bad Dreams, Blood Beach, Death Ship, The Tripper, An American Werewolf in London, April Fool's Day (1986), Dead & Buried, The Deadly Spawn, Body Snatchers, Viting Hours, Trick or Treat, Evil Laugh, and Paranormal Activity are others that really surprised me.

Ohhhh man, Death Ship is my cure for insomnia! Surprise horrors for me would be The Ring remake, Zombieland (not a horror but horror comedy), The Crazies remake (you can tell by now I don't normally expect too much from remakes!) and last but certainly not least, The House of the Devil (this in fact has become on of my all time favourite horrors ever!).
joshk1986 Tuesday 11/08/2011 at 11:15 AM | 86672
Watched "Cyrus" the other week and I thought it was a really good and well done movie, cant go wrong with Hendrikson!
WRATHCHILD78 Wednesday 11/09/2011 at 11:07 PM | 86745
good job.happy everyday please.

_________________________________________________________________ I live my life in colour and see in soundMake sure you are heard! Diablo III AccountsDiablo 3 ItemsDiablo 3 News
chensisi Friday 11/18/2011 at 01:42 AM | 87144