Forums Horror Movie Reviews
What happened to... The Girl Next Door (2007) Review

The Girl Next Door 2007

THE GIRL NEXT DOOR is a 2007 psychological thriller exploitation movie, based on the Jack Ketchum novel of the same name. Directed by Gregory Wilson, starring William Atherton (The Last Samurai, Ghostbusters), Blanche Baker (Dead Funny, xteen Candles), Blythe Auffarth (Keeping the Faith, The American Mall), and Kevin Chamberlin (Taking Woodstock, Lucky Number Slevin). The screenplay written by Daniel Farrands and Philip Nutman.

Official Trailer
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/jpalomba11/auto1-1.jpg" class="photoborder" /> Hey look! Its Walter Peck

Movie Synops: David Moran is haunted by the memories of the events one summer back in 1958. He will never forget what happened to Meg Louglin; he will never forget that he watched and did nothing. He will be tormented by his own guilt and shame for the rest of his life.

The movie begins innocuous enough; It becomes immediately reminiscent of "Stand By Me". It's the Summer in the 1950s. Young David Moran (Daniel Manche) is playing in a brook in some local woods catching crawfish with a net, placing them in a glass jar. Along comes Meg Loughlin (Blythe Auffarth), a girl David has never seen before; she introduces herself, proceeds to inform him that she's living nearby with her aunt for the summer. Thus begins the start of a new posble friendship. Sounds sweet right? Guess again.

We soon learn that Meg's parents have died in a car crash that she and her now disabled ster were the sole survivors; and her aunt, Ruth Chandler (Blanche Baker) is probably one of the most mentally disturbed women in the history of televion. If there was a "Worst Aunt of the Year" Award, she'd win every year running. She makes Piper Laurie from the movie "Carrie" look like Mother Flippin' Theresa.

Meg is soon introduced to the whole gang. Reminiscent of "The Loser's Club" from Stephen King's "It", only difference is these kids are sadistic little bastards. They partake in an activity they've called "The Game". I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but I will say this: If you ever find yourself playing "The Game", don't be "it". It's not fun. Take it from Meg.

Now, what can I say about this movie?H.O.L.Y---S.H.I.T.

That's what I have to say about it. Now let me tell you why. I woke up this morning at around 8am. Decided I'd go and make myself a monster EPIC breakfast. Cooked up a ridiculously awesome egg and cheese omelet, some maple bacon, and a couple of English muffins. Ran out to the store real quick to get a pack of smokes and some Dunkin' Donuts coffee (because my coffee machine took a dump and went to Coffee Machine Heaven)...Came back, to find--Oh Wow! My downloads are finished!

Breakfast and a movie? :::Doing the Happy Dance!:::

Sweet deal! And that's where I made my mistake. At this point I've come to the concluon that it doesn't matter how awesome your culinary breakfast skills are. This movie is the fucking BREAKFAST KILLER. Don't eat breakfast while watching this movie. In fact, don't eat anything whatsoever. This movie is like a really mean practical joke.

I had read the book, and yes it was disturbing. And the movie is a virtual carbon copy of the book, yet actually seeing what is depicted with my own eyes was somehow poignantly nauseating and despicable. More despicable than words in print could have ever posbly made it. I had forgotten. And reading the novel in no way prepared me for what I saw lol. Maybe it was just too early in the morning for gratuitous torture, rape, and compromised morality. All involving children.

The 1950s make me think of "Leave It To Beaver", and "Donna Reed"... "Mr Ed", "Dennis the Menace"... Aww shucks, Mr. Wilson! The things in this movie shouldn't be happening in the 1950s. It totally destroyed that family ideal of safety, hearth, and home. The 1950s in movies and televion are depicted as the American dream of the suburban United States. And then this movie was made. I don't want to ruin it, because it's kind of an experience. But I will say this. This is a seriously fucked up movie, and it wouldn't surprise me if the child actors in it have been caused psychological scarring for the rest of their lives.

The Verdict: B+

The acting is great, the scenery (until "The Game" begins) is filled with 50s nostalgia. Shock value is quite high. I'm amazed this movie is only Rated R. That's amazing to me. If it went a bit further, it'd be NC-17. No doubt about it.
Jonny Sicko Tuesday 11/08/2011 at 06:11 PM | 86688