Forums Horror Movie Talk
Rebooting THE EVIL DEAD Franchise - Remake Sequels Leading To A New Yearly Franchise?

With THE EVIL DEAD making a comeback (minus the Ash character made famous by legendary B-movie actor Bruce Campbell) seems to be a going with more serious approach to the franchise ala Rob Zombie's re-imagining of John Carpenter's original HALLOWEEN series. So with all this being talked about questions are already ring about a posble sequel or sequels around the water cooler. While no official talks are on the table at all at this point (obviously it will depend on how well the remake performs) one has to wonder if we will see a sequel or sequels following in the footsteps of this new story.

For those of you that haven't read the plot synops for the EVIL DEAD remake, here it is below to keep you up to speed:

"Five twenty-something friends become holed up in a remote cabin where they discover a Book Of The Dead and unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succeson until only one is left intact to fight for survival."

While THE EVIL DEAD and EVIL DEAD 2: DEAD BY DAWN were intended to be sequels, DEAD BY DAWN was more of a retelling of the original film however Sam Raimi had more money to invest in special effects and the decion to make Bruce Campbell's character Ash an over-the-top bad-ass with a comedic twist. Because a sequel really wasn't told well we see this re-imagining follow a new direction. I am confident they will not be going back to the more slapstick style that ARMY OF DARKNESS possessed and it would be interesting to see how far they can take this story. Cabin in the Woods are some of my favorite movies and adding the infamous "Book of the Dead" or "Necronomicon" yields plenty of opportunities to explore the new direction thus leading to sequels.

With the success of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, FINAL DESTINATION and the now extinct SAW series one has to wonder if THE EVIL DEAD remake succeeds might it open the door for a yearly sequel barrage in vein of the other films mentioned. Out of all the franchises it seems like the idea of a group constantly finding the "Book of the Dead" and opening hell on Earth is an idea that they could run with and even create separate stories that have nothing to do with the original remake.

Like it or not, THE EVIL DEAD may be exactly what fans will want to see year in and year out even though the chinned one will only be appearing in a cameo type role. It seems fitting that if the film is a financial success that we very well may have a new yearly series to look forward too. And in this authors mind that sounds Groovy as just about anything else that is being speculated right now.

How would you feel if THE EVIL DEAD was made into a yearly sequel fest? Or would you just like to see EVIL DEAD 4 be made? Either way this will allow a whole new generation to see the greatness that EVIL DEAD has to offer now matter how the remake turns out. Or how about both?

Fans of the genre that haven't gotten to witness the original films will surely be wanting to go back to check them out. Remakes or reboots at the very least cause a chain reaction that leads to fans talking about the glory days.

Bidites sound off. After all Deadites and Bidites are much the same breed. Now, where did I put my boom-stick again?
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 11/13/2011 at 08:21 PM | 86923
I would absolutely love to see Evil Dead 4, but I don't see it happening...especially now that a remake is coming soon. I, for one, am pretty excited about this reboot. I love seeing different vions of the same story... I wouldn't mind if this started a chain reaction for a new series...but I wouldn't be too upset if it didn't.
jarredah Monday 11/14/2011 at 01:25 PM | 86971
So they finaly decide to remake Evil Dead...Only to find out no Ash......Im not sold and never will be to this idea...Thats like the film company saying we know whats best for the evil dead fans..

They might as well hire rob zombie to direct cause hes good at ruining franchises too....
chardy Monday 11/14/2011 at 02:43 PM | 86973
Def would much prefer to see Evil Dead 4 instead of remake and (most likely) subsequent sequels (if it makes money, of course) This def sounds it was a major slap to the face to Evil Dead fans. no Ash = sacrilege!
reelybored Tuesday 11/15/2011 at 02:13 AM | 87007