Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Two Interesting Frankenstein Movies: A Double Review

Ever nce I was a kid having seen the old original 1931 Frankenstein and various sequels and spin-offs, I've always liked this story and the character himself. He's got depth, and the malevolence of his becoming and beginnings are not cut and dry; it's something of a morality play. I like to debate that he's not a monster in the conventional sense. He's not a Jason Vorhees, or a Freddy Krueger, or some other kind of twisted, bat-shit crazy axe wielding maniac. I can sort of empathize with him; kind of feel sorry for him. If you look at it, he's...well, he's a victim of circumstance.He was never given a choice. Nobody ever asked him if he wanted to be put together with parts of criminals and brought to life in a lab with the use of obscure arcane technology and lightning. And his maker, a total egocentric megalomaniac who wanted to play God; What did he think was bound to happen? Did it look like a good idea on paper? Oh I'm sure of it. But any sane person would stop and think, "WTF is the point? What good will come of any this?". And is that really Frankenstein's fault? I say, No Way, Jose!

I've read the original Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Also known as "The Modern Prometheus"), and he's described as and referred to as a "fiend", "wretch", "monster", "daemon"... (I guess that's as close as the 1800s could have come to being allowed to call him a twisted evil <Insert expletive here> ). Mary Shelley's work was great and might've been one of the first sci fi horror stories ever written. It certainly has been inspirational to virtually all of the horror movies we've seen today. But back then, it must've been easy to just put a staple and stereotype Frankenstein as a "monster", and apparently it worked...

However, and Mary, if you're a ghost and reading this, I apologize but it needs to be said. Victor Frankenstein was a total douche bag! And that being said, I'm glad he gets killed in almost every damn Frankenstein movie! And ya know what, kids? GOOD FOR HIM! And SHAME on him! Guess what kids - This guy over here; He roots for the monster! Here are 2 of the more interesting Frankenstein spin-offs I've seen in a while. They are: The Bride (1985) and Frankenstein Unbound (1990)

The Bride 1985

THE BRIDE (1985) Directed by Franc Roddam, screenplay by Lloyd Fonvielle. Starring Sting (Brimstone & Treacle, Dune), Clancy Brown (Highlander, Shawshank

Redemption), David Rappaport (Time Bandits, The Wizard TV Series), Jennifer Beals (Book of Eli, Grudge 2), and Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride, Saw).

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/jpalomba11/bride.jpg" class="photoborder" />

Afterwards, We're involved in two stories happening multaneously, and which merge later on. Dr. Frankenstein begins to give Eva an education on all things in an effort to mold her into becoming his intellectual equal. All the while, through the "meets and greets" at aristocratic get-togethers, trying his damnedest to cock-block every other interested man in the room. Oh, his second creation was a major aesthetic improvement over his first.

Victor, Frankenstein's creation, while wandering the wilderness and the roads has a chance encounter with a "Little person" named Rinaldo (David Rappaport) who sees

potential and opportunity in the larger man. They become something like George and

Lenny from Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men"; they travel around together, and eventually become employed by this totally seedy traveling circus Ringmaster. Along the way Victor learns what the meaning of friendship is, and how cruel humanity can become after a sabotaged trapeze act leads to the death of his little friend.

Long story short, Dr. Frankenstein gets hurled off the top of a tower, Victor gets the girl in the end and they live happily ever after in Venice. lol.

Verdict: B+

Wasn't a horror movie exactly, but it was definitely enjoyable for what it was. Kind of a weird Frankenstein love story; with a few death scenes, a few decent boob shots and some unintentional laughs. And the monster gets the girl in the end. How awesome is that?

Frankenstein Unbound 1990

FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND (1990) Directed by Roger Corman, Screenplay by Roger Corman, based on the novel of the same name written by Brian Aldiss. Starring John Hurt (The Elephant Man, V For Vendetta), Raul Julia (Addams Family, Street Fighter), Nick Brimble (A Knight's Tale, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves), and Bridget Fonda (Lake Placid, Jackie Brown)

Movie Synops: This movie kind of goes all over the place. It tries to do so much at once; there are so many ideas jammed packed into this hour and 26 minute movie, it can send your mind

spinning about like a whirling dervish. The movie begins in the year 2031, when scientist Joseph Buchanan (John Hurt) is working on a top-secret military project (a super weapon) that goes terribly awry. A rift in time and space opens, hurtling him and his suped up ultra-high tech car (kind of like KITT from Knight Rider) back in time to the 1800s.

He adapts quickly to his surroundings and eventually makes the acquaintance of fellow scientist Baron Victor Frankenstein (Raul Julia). Yes it's odd... Victor Frankenstein is portrayed as a real historical character here (suspend your disbelief!), and even Mary Shelley (Bridget Fonda) herself is here; her famous book waiting to be written.

Buchanon is eventually introduced to Victor's first creation (Nick Bramble); an intelligent but homicidal patch-work man, and asked to asst in creating a mate for him. Well, suffice it to say, things do not go as planned. Mostly due to the fact that Victor Frankenstein is batshit crazy, and his creation cannot be wrangled and stopped.

There's a great scene near the end where Buchanon's project from the future is on the fritz, about to send everyone hurtling to a snowy tundra of nothingness;

Lasers from the machine tear a giant rift in the sky that opens up to another time in space, totally blowing Victor's mind and he asks wide-eyed in awe "What is happening?" To which Buchanon answers "Meet MY monster." One of the greatest lines ever in a movie! Modern Prometheus indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDqQERyhfqI

Verdict: B+

I really liked this movie. Some great "monster rage" scenes involving arms being pulled off, and heads punched through. Frankenstein SMASH!! However, the movie just mply tried to throw as much spaghetti at the wall as it posbly could lol. Most of the spaghetti stuck for me. Though, it could've been a half hour longer. Just too much going on that could've been explained upon. In short, I liked it and wanted more! The book was excellent, however!
Jonny Sicko Tuesday 11/15/2011 at 03:27 AM | 87015
Frankenstein Movies are good but they are artificial and not so scary I have try to scare my self while watching the director should think the costumes of the characters they are funny not scary as well.
CarolynSimonsen Wednesday 11/16/2011 at 11:33 AM | 87080