Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Descent: Shedding Some Light on the Opening Scene

I had a very interesting conversation with my hairstylist today about the move The Descent. She and I have both seen the movie numerous times before, however after watch the movie "On Demand" we both noticed there is a HUGE piece of the beginning that left us saying... "How did we miss this?!"

The first beginning we saw before watching it "On Demand" opens with all the girls together in the car driving up to the caves.

However, in the "On Demand" beginning it opens up to the girls and a guy rafting down the river. Juno apparently has an affair with Sarah's husband or something like that which explains why it seemed like someone had a stick up their ass the whole time. Then it shows Sarah, her husband, and her daughter all in the car driving to who knows where. Then they get in a head-on car accident with a car that had a bunch of pipes strapped to the top of the car. So of course a pipe breaks though the windshield impaling her husband and daughter killing them both.

I don't know about you but that little bit that "On Demand" showed cleared up a bunch of confuon and really wrapped the story together for me!

Honestly, are me and my hairstylist the only ones who have seen these different veron?
BloodyAdored Thursday 11/17/2011 at 06:28 AM | 87111
I've seen this scene in theaters and on the DVD! weird that you didn't!
LaLaLauren1011 Thursday 11/17/2011 at 11:34 PM | 87130
The only veron I have seen is the DVD "original unrated cut" and it had the prologue in which the rafting trip and deaths of the husband and little girl occur. I can't imagine having watched it without that part because you wouldn't know why there was so much tenon on the caving trip! Glad for your sake that you ran across the extended veron.
Elash Thursday 11/17/2011 at 11:37 PM | 87131
It is odd that you've only sceen it in the on demand veron.

I've sceen it in theaters, on the unrated original cut and the rated cut. The relationship drama presented in it is also referred to in the sequel. It seems irrational to omit the scene
creephouse Friday 11/18/2011 at 12:38 AM | 87135
Thanks for the nice article.

It is very useful._________________________________________________________________ I live my life in colour and see in soundMake sure you are heard! Diablo III AccountsDiablo 3 ItemsDiablo 3 News
chensisi Friday 11/18/2011 at 01:42 AM | 87143
I was lucky enough to see this months before it hit theaters in the US and I was infuriated that they dropped the ending so they could make a sequel. (which by all accounts, was mediocre at best)

It seems counterintuitive for them to drop the beginning and the end. Like they don't understand that people would like to see the whole story, not just to shove them right in the action.

The full and uncut veron the The Descent is by far one of the best horror movies of all time. It's a shame that some people haven't seen that veron.
Cecil Friday 11/18/2011 at 01:46 AM | 87147
i'm confused the original opening is in the on demand veron as well (?) - maybe took a bathroom break for the first 2 minutes? I've never seen the film without the intro crash scene...
Matt_Molgaard Friday 11/18/2011 at 03:06 AM | 87151
Oh dear thats a bit pants, I've only ever seen the UK veron and I can't imagine how the film would work without the intro as its a large part of the girls backstory, I knew the US veron had a different ending due to Sarah being in the descent 2 (she dies at the end of the UK veron). I wonder what other cuts were made? Its strange how British films quite often have happy endings tagged on for the US and US films tend to have gore and violence toned down for the UK release. God knows what they do to Australian films?
krsdacritter Friday 11/18/2011 at 05:02 PM | 87171