Forums Horror Movie Talk
Diary of a Mad Fan: Hollywood Has Failed Us! Support Indie Horror Or Else!

Hollywood has failed us...

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre; Halloween; Friday the 13th. Just what do these films have in common bedes yielding three of the top cinematic icons of modern horror? The short and sweet answer: They were independent films. Yeah, that’s right. Before they became colossal money-making juggernauts with millions in sequels and merchanding (I’m wearing a Friday the 13th t-shirt as I write this) they were independent films no one had a clue would become the licenng monsters they are today. I know, crazy, right? Read on, Bidites.

Just what is an independent film you ask? Well, let me tell ya, friend. According to Wikipedia, “An independent film, or indie film, is a profesonal film production resulting in a feature film that is produced mostly or completely outde of the major film studio system. In addition to being produced and distributed by independent entertainment companies, independent films are also produced and/or distributed by subdiaries of major film studios. Independent films are sometimes distinguishable by their content and style and the way in which the filmmakers' personal artistic vion is realized.”

Well there you have it, folks, Wikipedia’s definition of an independent film. Now that we got that out of the way, let’s get down to the brass tacks at the heart of this here article. One key sentence in that “description” stuck out the most: “Independent films are sometimes distinguishable by their content and style and the way in which the filmmakers' personal artistic vion is realized.”

I don’t know about you, but I’m sold on the whole filmmakers’ personal artistic vion being realized thing. Believe it or not a lot of Tinsel Town directors have good ideas, but there is so much bureaucratic red tape involved in a Hollywood production, the filmmakers’ artistic vion becomes so watered-down the final product may no longer be recognizable to them. What makes it to theatres is a compilation of good ideas being crushed under the weight of many bad ones. I get it, millions of dollars are at stake and investors get nervous, but thowing boat-loads of cash at something does not fix the problem (I'm talking to you, Congress!)

Now, like Hollywood productions, Indies are hit and miss. Sometimes they’re good, sometimes they’re not. It all depends. Most of the time, you don’t have outde interference from corporate suits who only think they know how to make a movie or tell a story. That’s what movies are, yes? They’re live action stories unfolding over the course of 90 to 120 minutes, right? And what drives a good movie is a great story.

In my humblest of humble opinions (playing it safe here) Hollywood has become this great big generic smoke and mirrors spectacle with movies that rely heavily on, well, smoke and mirrors, and little else. Sure, there are big name “talents” in cast and crew, CGI galore, and EXPLOONS!!! But these things don’t make great movies. Eschewing plot and character development for time-honored tricks, including bigger special effects, the Hollywood machine offers nothing more than bland mash potatoes smothered in the gravy of excess.

More is less.

Big exploons, lavish CGI, and thunderous digital sound to murder your poor eardrums don’t make up for cardboard characters and cookie-cutter plot devices (not for me), but that’s exactly what you’ll find these days when paying nine Washingtons for a Hollywood movie ticket. I may seem like I’m bitching for the sake of bitching, but I like a little substance to my cinematic-going experiences, don’t you? When I left the theatre after paying my hard-earned cash to see “A Nightmare on Elm Street” remake my fists were clenched and I felt a little cheated. Maybe I take my movies way too seriously.

Maybe some people don’t take their movies seriously enough.

The original Nightmare on Elm Street is a rare example of Hollywood lightning in a bottle. It was a Hollywood production for the then fledgling company New Line Cinema, replete with “studio” interference. Maybe it was for the better, but in this case, the film worked and has become a beloved clasc. Rarely (again, in my humble opinion) has this happened nce.

Maybe my expectations are set way too high. Maybe.

Let’s face it. Hollywood suit and ties don’t really conder the horror fan, just his/her wallet. A lot of Independent films reflect the filmmakers’ love for the genre, a love shared by legions of fans across the globe. These guys seem to get it. Give audiences a good story and the film leaves an impact. I don’t typically buy a DVD unless I’m going to watch the movie again and again. More often than not, if I see a mediocre Hollywood flick in theatres, I won’t even bother renting the DVD. When it comes to an Indie feature, I’ll research the hell out of it, read a few reviews, and, if more people like it than not, I’ll check it out.

Maybe I’m blindly trying to recapture my childhood movie-watching experience, when everything was new and unbelievably awesome to me, but I tend to think that bit of cinematic magic still exists. Just check out “Hobo with a Shotgun”, an independent film with special effects AND substance. Imagine that.

I’m not trying to tell anyone to stop watching Hollywood productions. Not at all. I won’t stop watching them. I keep watching in the hopes that one in five movies will be a diamond in the rough, but more and more it’s looking like I have to watch a lot more than that to get to the goods. All I’m saying is, if you’re anything like me, and want more bang for your buck in the form of good characters and good story-telling, looking to Hollywood is like looking for congress to agree on budget cuts: It ain’t gonna happen anytime soon, I’m afraid.

The flimmakers behind the well-reviewed "Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon" have launched a real grass-roots campaign to finance the sequel "Before the Mask: The Return of Leslie Vernon" seeking the fans' asstance in raing money for the film. If you're interested in really supporting Indie Horror go to

http://www.facebook.com/BeforeTheMask

No kind of filmmaking is perfect, not even Indie films, but more often than not, I’ve been pleasantly surprised more so by the Indie circuit than Big Hollywood, and that’s no longer surpring to me. A lot of these movies have style and substance (oh, there are more than a few that don’t), but half the fun is in the search. So, look to the Indie circuit for an often better movie experience and support Indie Horror…

…or else.

TVM

the_vengeful_machete Wednesday 11/30/2011 at 04:03 PM | 87688
Man, Hobo with a Shotgun was fucking GREAT!!!

I totally dig the poor quality, grainy, grindhouse style of these kinds of movies. Really wish they would make more of them. They're fucking awesome!! And Rutger Hauer is KING!!
Jonny Sicko Wednesday 11/30/2011 at 04:06 PM | 87689
Yep, I'm chiming in again. Independent horror (and it's FREE now):

www.guntownthemovie.com

Yes, do indeed support indie horror, because the next one is going to be better...much better.
aceofspades70 Wednesday 11/30/2011 at 09:48 PM | 87703
Just so we're clear...

I have nothing to do with the movie industry, Indie ot otherwise, nor am I an advocate for Leslie Vernon or anyone involved in that film. I'm not a paid anything. I wrote this article for free, and of my own accord. I'm just a regular guy with a pason for good movies. I'd love to get into the filmmaking thing, but I'm (too) over-protective of my work I guess. I wrote this article to help raise awarness for supporting the Indie horror circuit because I'm tired of being spoon-fed drivel, and I want some intelligence in my movies. So there you have it, folks.

the_vengeful_machete Thursday 12/01/2011 at 01:07 AM | 87708
Great article vengeful, you really hit it on the head here...

Speaking of interference here's the youtube link to my independent film: Inner Fearence for you fans enjoy:

http://youtu.be/ZhaQK_NOB90
MOWDEReeL Thursday 12/01/2011 at 12:46 PM | 87720
George A. Romero had it right nce the beginning: Independent.
buried13 Thursday 12/01/2011 at 01:42 PM | 87721
The newer indie films are just as (maybe a little less) hit or miss as the Hollywood productions. I mean, on one hand you have Chillerama, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, and Hobo with a Shotgun, yet on the other hand we have abominations like Super Hybrid, The Task, and 11/11/11 (not 11-11-11).
ObscureCinema101 Thursday 12/01/2011 at 08:32 PM | 87727
The newer indie films are just as (maybe a little less) hit or miss as the Hollywood productions. I mean, on one hand you have Chillerama, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, and Hobo with a Shotgun, yet on the other hand we have abominations like Super Hybrid, The Task, and 11/11/11 (not 11-11-11).

Yeah, few movies (even Indies) reach perfection, but rarely will you find a Hollywood production with the same kind of punch as a "Hobo with a Shotgun" or a "Tucker & Dale vs. Evil". Almost never. Hollywood movies are becoming more and more watered-down, even more so than the most watered-down Indies. The bigger the special effects get, the more dilluted the flick. Hollywood has little depth these days, if ever. With Indies, when you do get a pasonate, artistic director set in his or her ways, they can potentially deliver a standout piece that truly shines--without too much interference.
the_vengeful_machete Friday 12/02/2011 at 03:50 AM | 87742
Stevan Mena & Ti West, are 2 Indie horror directors, to follow.
Dimiter Friday 12/02/2011 at 07:07 AM | 87748
This is an awesome article that I can truly stand by Horrorbid itself has also played a factor in bringing fans of horror together and letting them write their own articles and showcase their talents in various ways.

While reading this article, one film came to mind that really differs from its sequel

CLERKS, I know it's not horror but the sequel is so different and although it does have its funny parts, I could have really done with out the dance sequence.

I have yet to see Hobo with a Shotgun but I think a friend of mine just got it so I will be watching it soon.

Not sure if they are condered true indie films because I'm not sure how big they started off as but I really dig a lot of the French Horror films that have come out such as High Tenon and INDE.

I have been working on a script with a fellow bidite for months and we are getting closer and closer to making it happen, locations and even collaborations from other small indie companies.
Sephit Sunday 12/04/2011 at 12:34 AM | 87859
Foreign horror is thriving, imo.
AgnesItsMeBilly Monday 12/05/2011 at 05:07 AM | 87908
Great post, around here we like to call it the Walmartization of Hollywood.

Please take a moment to check out our film, I Am ZoZo, about a real demon that attacks people only through Ouija boards.

We shot the entire film on Super8mm film stock on San Juan Island, WA (near Seattle) last year and have just completed it.

Thanks to bnizzle and HorrorBid for granting us permison to post info on the film.

Stay independent. http://www.iamzozomovie.com

First teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFIpSq2_iOA
Choppertown Thursday 12/08/2011 at 07:05 PM | 88078
Great post, around here we like to call it the Walmartization of Hollywood.

Please take a moment to check out our film, I Am ZoZo, about a real demon that attacks people only through Ouija boards.

We shot the entire film on Super8mm film stock on San Juan Island, WA (near Seattle) last year and have just completed it.

Thanks to bnizzle and HorrorBid for granting us permison to post info on the film.

Stay independent. http://www.iamzozomovie.com

First teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFIpSq2_iOA

That is very smart to make a film on ouija boards because as I can tell from the comments and my own experiences, they scare people.

Not only do they scare people but even if nothing happens, people will swear it did because their mind will want it to so bad that stories will spread like the telephone game.
Sephit Thursday 12/08/2011 at 07:32 PM | 88080