Forums Horror Movie Talk
Bidites Choice: Horror Movie of the Year Nominees (WINNER ANNOUNCED!)

After nearly a month of voting and thousands of Bidites giving their input and feedback, we finally have the votes tallied and boy was it a close year. Winning literally by a nose was director James Wan's low-budget ghost/paranormal film, INDIOUS. The film blended old fashioned film techniques, great storytelling, practical effects, terrific muc and genuine scares to produce a high-tenon felt horror film that fans really enjoyed. Congrats to INDIOUS on the win!

Coming in a close second was Wes Craven's SCREAM 4 followed by TUCKER AND DALE VS EVIL, STAKELAND, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3, HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN and RED STATE. GRAVE ENCOUNTERS, CHILLERAMA, TROLL HUNTER and HUMAN CENTIPEDE 2 received plenty of comments of attention but didn't make the cut. Also there were quite a few write in's such as THE ORPHAN KILLER, BEREAVEMENT, BLACK DEATH, SHARK NIGHT 3D and THE TAINT.

Thanks to everyone for voting and the one and only Mr. Matt Molgaard for putting the voting together. It wasn't a year that the world of horror set the audience on fire at the box office, but a solid year and if you haven't seen any of the gems we've mentioned above you really owe it to yourself to check them out.Have a great 2012 Bidites and thanks once again. Congrats to James Wan and what I am sure will be a great follow-up, INDIOUS 2

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Theatrically, it wasn’t the most constent of years for the horror genre. A few freaky flicks ignited big interest and big bucks, while a slew of other (seemingly) anticipated features flat lined with the public market. That’s not to say that every successful genre effort was brilliant, or for that matter, that every feature to falter with the general audience was miserable. There’s a lot that goes in to marketing a film, and sometimes the buness strategies of production companies aide, and sometimes they hinder. It just is what it is.

All the same, there were some films to see release this year that truly did surprise. Indious crept from virtual oblivion to become a smash hit. The Paranormal Activity franchise proved there’s still fuel in the tank. There were also some indie efforts that proved to be stellar, refined works worthy of wide release, whether they got such treatment or not.

So, let’s discuss the “Best Horror Film of 2011”; I’ve got an assortment of selections aligned for you now, but be sure to include a feature you feel worthy of this coveted title, if I’ve somehow missed it. We’ll be sure to track votes, and announce a winner to close out the year!

Indious

Saw franchise veterans James Wan and Leigh Whannell team with Paranormal Activity writer/director Oren Peli to give the familiar haunted house story an exciting new twist with this tale of a family that moves into an old house and begins to suspect they are under ege from otherworldly forces when their young son inexplicably falls into a deep coma. As devoted parents Josh (Patrick Wilson) and Renai (Rose Byrne) struggle in vain to uncover the root cause of their son's condition, the stress of the tuation gradually begins to take its toll on their once-strong relationship. Later, when darkness falls and specters appear to reach out for them from the shadows, the frightened parents realize they're dealing with powers beyond human comprehenon. Barbara Hershey and Lin Shaye co-star.

Stake Land

An orphaned teenager joins a stoic vampire hunter and a desperate group of survivors as they search for a safe haven in a land overrun by monstrous bloodsuckers and ruthless fundamentalists intent on taking over the United States. His entire family slaughtered by vampires, terrified teen Martin (Connor Paolo) is rescued from certain death by a mysterious vampire hunter named Mister (Nick Damici), who trains him how to wield a wooden stake as they wander the wastelands in search of survivors. Before long, the duo is joined by conflicted nun ster (Kelly McGillis), resourceful youngster Willie (Sean Nelson), and a pregnant teenager (Danielle Harris) looking for a safe place to give birth. With supplies running low and safe houses hard to come by, the group sets their ghts on a place known as "New Eden," the last stronghold of humanity. But getting there won't be easy because the crazed fundamentalists who travel the roads by day are even more dangerous than the evil bloodsuckers who stalk the darkness.

Red State

Kevin Smith steps his foot into horror territory with this politically tinged fright flick starring Michael Parks (From Dusk Till Dawn, Grindhouse) as a controveral Fred Phelps-ish reverend who brings his own brand of zealotry to a wayward group of teens. Smith directs from his own long-in-development script.

Paranormal Activity 3

The Paranormal Activity franchise continues with this third outing from Paramount Pictures. Oren Peli and Jason Blum return to produce the highly secretive feature, with Catfish's directing duo of Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman taking on the helming duties.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Director Eli Craig and co-screenwriter Morgan Jurgenson poke fun at horror clichés with this genre-bending comedy about a pair of harmless backwoods hayseeds who are mistaken for vicious serial killers. Dale (Tyler Labine) and Tucker (Alan Tudyk) are checking out their newly acquired "summer home" (read: dilapidated cabin) when they save the life of a gorgeous college student (Katrina Bowden) who's camping in the woods with some friends. When a series of misunderstandings leads to Dale and Tucker being labeled psycho killers by the vacationing students, the tuation takes a sudden and ghastly turn for the worst.

Panic Button

Four young people win a competition of a lifetime; Jo (Scarlett Alice Johnson Adulthood), Max (Jack Gordon Heartless) Gwen (Elen Rhys Season Of The Witch) and Dave (Michael Jibson The Bank Job) head off on an all expenses paid trip to New York, courtesy of social network All2gethr.com. As they board the private jet, they are asked to relinquish their mobile phones and take part in the in-flight entertainment a new online gaming experience.

The Woman

Warped country lawyer Christopher Cleek (Sean Bridgers) puts his entire family in danger when he attempts to civilize a feral cannibal woman in this sequel to The Offspring from director Lucky McKee and horror icon Jack Ketchum. An experienced hunter with a secluded house near the Northeast Coast, Christopher is intrigued to discover a badly wounded woman (Pollyanna McIntosh) wandering through the woods. Recognizing that the mysterious woman has been living completely outde of society her entire life, the deranged family man captures her and decides to make her his personal project. Little does Christopher realize that the woman's entire clan has just been killed by cops after living in the wilderness for decades and surviving on human flesh. This is one woman who will not be tamed, and the harder Christopher tries, the fiercer she becomes. Angela Bettis co-stars.

Scream 4

dney Prescott (Neve Campbell) comes face to face with her greatest fear after returning home to Woodsboro and getting caught in the center of another bloodbath in this sequel from director Wes Craven and screenwriter Kevin Williamson. Touring the country in promotion of her new self-help book, dney arrives in Woodsboro and quickly reconnects with her old friend Sheriff Dewey (David Arquette), who has recently gotten married to Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox). Though a much-welcomed family reunion with her aunt Kate (Mary McDonnell) and coun Jill (Emma Roberts) goes a long way in helping dney lay her tragic past to rest, old fears come back with a vengeance when Ghostface reappears on a murderous mison to make up for lost time.

Hobo with a Shotgun

A hobo (Rutger Hauer) blows into a lawless town, arms himself with a shotgun, and decides to take down a ruthless crime boss in this violent, neo-exploitation throwback that began as a "fake" trailer for the "Grindhouse Trailer" competition at the 2007 South by Southwest Film Festival.

Grave Encounters

A team of phony paranormal investigators has their skepticism put to the test in this mockumentary-style horror opus. Collingwood is a mental institution in Maryland that has been closed for more than half a century. Local legend had it that the hospital is haunted, and the former caretaker (Bob Rathie) and a number of folks who live nearby claim that they've seen and heard gns of paranormal disturbances in the night. Jerry Hartfeld (Ben Wilkinson) is a televion producer specializing in reality shows who arranges for a team of bac cable ghost hunters, led by host Lance Preston (Sean Rogerson), to shoot an episode of their show Grave Encounters at Collingwood. It doesn't take long for Preston and his crew to tip their hands as fakes who are happy to stage phony interviews and set up special effects "disturbances" for the cameras. But they discover Collingwood really is home to forces beyond their understanding, and they're in very real danger as the night wears on. The first feature film from the writing and directing team of Colin Minihan and Stuart Ortiz (aka The Vicious Brothers), Grave Encounters was an official selection at the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival.

Chillerama

Southern California drive-in proprietor Cecil B. Kaufman (Richard Riehle) celebrates the death of his beloved drive-in with a horror marathon that will have bloodhounds howling in this kitchy anthology film featuring shorts from Adam Rifkin, Adam Green, Tim Sullivan, and Joe Lynch. The first tale, directed by Sullivan and entitled "I Was a Teenage Wearbear," is set in the 1960s, when gay teens began to experience a strange transformation. The terror continues in "Wadzilla," a story of an enormous, rampaging sperm starring and directed by cult icon Rifkin. Adam Green's "The Diary of Anne Frankenstein" reveals a de of Adolph Hitler even his closest confidants never saw, and the final segment, Joe Lynch's "Zom-B-Movie," offers gory thrills from the living dead. Joel David Moore, Eric Roberts, Lin Shaye, Kane Hodder, and Ray Wise star.

Troll Hunter

"The Trollhunter" is the story of a group of Norwegian film students that set out to capture real-life trolls on camera after learning their existence has been covered up for years by a government conspiracy. A thrilling and wildly entertaining film, "The Trollhunter" delivers truly fantastic images of giant trolls wreaking havoc on the countryde, with darkly funny adherence to the original Norwegian folklore.

Attack the Block

A group of London teens find themselves in the middle of an alien invaon and fight to defend their tower block from some evil extraterrestrials in this stylish sci-fi romp from the producers of Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Beset by a gang of young thugs as she passes through a South London houng estate, Sam (Jodie Whittaker) is in the midst of being robbed when a ball of light falls out of the sky, and destroys a nearby car. Frightened, she flees from the scene just before an unearthly beast emerges from the wreckage and attacks Moses (John Boyega), the leader of the youthful gang. In retaliation, Moses and his crew slay the creature, and take it to a local drug den owned by ruthless gangster Hi-Hatz (Jumayn Hunter) for safe keeping. Later, as the police asst Sam in pursuing her assailants, strange lights start to rain down on the streets, heralding the arrival of a second, more ferocious, wave of creatures. With the city under ege, there's no place left to run. Quickly realizing she's going to have to fight if she wants to survive, Sam once again crosses paths with the street-tough teens, but instead of running away vows to battle alongde them to the bitter end. Meanwhile, Moses becomes the primary target of the aliens, and the group arms themselves with everything from baseball bats to high-powered fireworks in the fight to save the human race.

Human Centipede II: Full Sequence

A disturbed London security guard becomes obsessed with The Human Centipede, and decides to follow in Dr. Heiter's footsteps by creating his own abomination in this self-referential sequel to the controveral horror hit. As a young boy, Martin (Laurence R. Harvey) was sexually and psychologically abused. Even though his father now languishes in prison, the damage done to him was far beyond repair. These days, Martin works the graveyard shift at a subterranean parking garage and lives at home with his loathsome mother. Meanwhile, his lonesome job affords him the perfect opportunity to indulge in his favorite pastime -- compulvely watching director Tom x's ck horror clasc The Human Centipede. And when Martin isn't watching the film, he can usually be found with his favorite scrapbook, which is bulging with Human Centipede memorabilia. Now, Martin's movie obseson is about to lead him down a frightening path of dark and deviant behavior; ung Dr. Heiter's medical blueprints as his inspiration, Martin rents a warehouse and begins collecting victims to create his own veron of the Human Centipede. But unlike Dr. Heiter, Martin is not an experienced surgeon and doesn't have state-of-the-art medical equipment at his disposal. Alas, Martin only has some duct tape, a staple gun, and some other bac household items. It may not be ideal, but it's enough to get the job done. And once Martin has all 12 pieces of the centipede -- including a very special one whom fans of the first film will immediately recognize -- his masterpiece will be complete.

What's your pick for horror flick of the year?
Matt_Molgaard Friday 12/02/2011 at 05:47 PM | 87762
I feel like Indious is going to win. But I wasn't really a fan of the film. It wasn't bad but at the same time it wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. This is difficult for me to choose because I really liked Scream 4 and I really liked Red State and Paranormal Activity 3. I liked Grave Encounters because it was scary but the acting and some of the CGI kind of sucked. I guess if anything, I would choose Scream 4 because the Scream franchise is so close to my heart and I did like the movie bedes the killers.
suzys25 Friday 12/02/2011 at 05:57 PM | 87763
good stuff

btw, I'm going to have to give my nod to Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Pure brilliance!
Matt_Molgaard Friday 12/02/2011 at 06:00 PM | 87764
I loved Stake Land.
kennyxedge Friday 12/02/2011 at 06:15 PM | 87766
I would have to say Scream 4. Paranormal Activity 3 is a colose second, and Red State is an even closer third. 2011 was a great year for horror!

BTW Indious was full of horrible CGI and predictable jump scares that never got me once...sad because it had great potential.
jarredah Friday 12/02/2011 at 07:17 PM | 87769
I would have to say Scream 4. Paranormal Activity 3 is a colose second, and Red State is an even closer third. 2011 was a great year for horror!

BTW Indious was full of horrible CGI and predictable jump scares that never got me once...sad because it had great potential.

I loved Indious. I thought the CGI was actually pretty decent, hell, I thought it was great for the flicks budget, and while I dug some of the jump scares (the scene with creedy dude behind dad was GOLD), it was the atmosphere and tenon that made it frightening IMO. I thought it FAR surpassed the potential I initially saw TBH. I can see how some may have jumpd ship during the final act, but up to that point, I'd almost conder it a masterpiece.

It would be my number 2 pick behind TDVE.
Matt_Molgaard Friday 12/02/2011 at 07:53 PM | 87770
Hey, you forgot to mention that badass independent short Inner Fearence.

You know the movie created by that weirdo mother fucker whats his name? 'Wink, wink.'

LOL...Great article yet again Matt... I haven't seen all the films mentioned this year, although I was surpringly shocked with the Scream 4 movie and how Wes put it together.

I was ready to be let down by it and actually enjoyed it.

I felt the Grave Encounters broke some new ground with the 'Ghost Hunting' found footage genre and was a film that I can remember talking to friends some years ago, about how 'That' type of film has yet to be made.

But I have to say Indious will probably take it and rightfully should.

It was well directed, wonderfully written and had some good acting in it.

But my vote really can't count because having not seen some of the other flicks that were nominated...Goodluck to whoever wins!
MOWDEReeL Friday 12/02/2011 at 08:07 PM | 87772
Where the hell is Shark Night? That movie gets no respect, I tell you...

Anyway, I would have to say either Tucker & Dale vs. Evil or Chillerama. Grave Encounters is on my to-watch list, so I should be getting to that soon. Tucker & Dale was a fantastic horror-comedy that I might go as far as to say was better than Shaun of the Dead, and that's really something. Chillerama was a wonderful, trashy, disgusting, beautiful, nauseating, crude, and all together great movie. I would have liked to see it get a mass-release though.

I also felt Indious was conderably weak. Sure, there were a few creepy moments at the end, but other than that, I thought it was snore city.

Great article; I 'd love it if there was an Oscar show specifically for horror movies by horror movie fans. The opnly thing misng here is Shark Night
ObscureCinema101 Friday 12/02/2011 at 08:26 PM | 87773
As much as I enjoyed "Scream 4" & "Indious", my vote is going to the surprise hit & horribly underappreciated "Hobo With a Shotgun". Gratuitous gore, insanely quotable, & a kick ass soundtrack. Words cannot do it justice.
CZW_CJBecker Friday 12/02/2011 at 08:44 PM | 87774
My pick goes to Scream4 just loved this film made me feel like theirs hope for potential more Scream films and films like it. T&DvsE is my close second loved this film, also liked Laid 2 Rest 2
AJxSCREAMx87 Friday 12/02/2011 at 08:55 PM | 87775
Obscure - does your vote go to Shark Night? (you lly little guy! lmao) Or T&DVE/Chillerama?
Matt_Molgaard Friday 12/02/2011 at 09:38 PM | 87779
My choice is for Stevan Mena's follow-up to his 2004 Indy hit, Malevolence, Bereavment. I notice though it wasn't on your list, but that's my choice.
Dimiter Friday 12/02/2011 at 10:05 PM | 87780
Obscure - does your vote go to Shark Night? (you lly little guy! lmao) Or T&DVE/Chillerama? I'm tempted to say Shark Night just to give it at least one vote (I'll probably the only one), but I have to go with Chillerama.
ObscureCinema101 Friday 12/02/2011 at 10:17 PM | 87781
got it

chris: good call with bereavement
Matt_Molgaard Friday 12/02/2011 at 10:22 PM | 87782
Hmm this ones tough.I'm stuck between Scream 4,Indious and Chillerama.I'm huge fans of all the directors and was impressed by all of them.I liked Indious because it original and for me atleast delivered some good scarred.It wasn't you're usual paranormal movie.With Scream 4,I was just happy to see the old cast back together again and to see the franchise resurrected.Especially seeing Wes back in the directors chair(after My Soul To Take).However,I'm also a hugeeee Adam Green fan as well as a fan of cheesy B-movies such as those found in Chillerama.So I thought that was original as well as funny and a good tribute.Soooooooo...

If I had to pick I'd say my vote goes to Scream 4.I was happy pleased with the film seeing as it'd been ten years nce the entire cast had been together.I also enjoyed how it was kept really modern and mocked remakes.Seeing Ghostface kill again was pretty awesome too XD
zombie10 Friday 12/02/2011 at 11:29 PM | 87783
Even though it wasn't on the list I'm going with The Orphan Killer, It was pretty brutal and I thought Marcus Miller's back story was nicely done
Blood-taker Friday 12/02/2011 at 11:39 PM | 87785
Wow this is really tough. Lots of great movies on this list. I can't decide among Indious, PA3, Scream 4, Hobo With a Shotgun, Human Centipede II, or Grave Encounters....
nolifefan Saturday 12/03/2011 at 12:13 AM | 87786
Wow this is really tough. Lots of great movies on this list. I can't decide among Indious, PA3, Scream 4, Hobo With a Shotgun, Human Centipede II, or Grave Encounters....
nolifefan Saturday 12/03/2011 at 12:13 AM | 87787
Indious was the best by a long shot (in my opinion - not fact). It gets my vote.

However, 2nd place goes to Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

3rd, Troll Hunter
DaShape Saturday 12/03/2011 at 12:22 AM | 87788
How exactly is this polling done?? Wasn't sure because there wasn't a multiple choice thing LOL.
Dimiter Saturday 12/03/2011 at 01:00 AM | 87791
How exactly is this polling done?? Wasn't sure because there wasn't a multiple choice thing LOL.

I'll tally them personally.

Anyone who lists multiple movies, will need to narrow it down to one choice in order for their vote to count.
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 12/03/2011 at 01:05 AM | 87793
Human Centipede 2 and Tucker and Dale vs Evil have my vote.
BloodyAdored Saturday 12/03/2011 at 01:32 AM | 87798
Human Centipede 2 and Tucker and Dale vs Evil have my vote.

one vote bloody (for obvious organizational value) - which are you goin with?
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 12/03/2011 at 02:09 AM | 87800
If we're going for movies that scared the shit out of me, then my vote is PA3. I saw it two nights in a row opening weekend and was pretty much crying both times. (please hold your opnions...yes, i am a pussy)

I'd say Indious is imposbly close behind. I loved that movie so much. Still do, as a matter of fact. I'm oddly partial to this one.

As far as the film I was most looking forward to and was absolutely perfect (please don't argue, this is my opinion <3) Scream 4 would get my vote. I left that movie COMPLETELY satisfied.

If we were going for surpringly touching and slightly (SLIGHTLY) frightening and gory independent films, then my vote would be Hobo With A Shotgun hands down.

While Grave Encounters did excite me, it just didn't do enough for me to get a vote.

So I guess I have to make the tough decion. For its revolution, its originality, and its scares, I'll go with Indious.

(this was so hard)
nolifefan Saturday 12/03/2011 at 03:01 AM | 87805
If we're going for movies that scared the shit out of me, then my vote is PA3. I saw it two nights in a row opening weekend and was pretty much crying both times. (please hold your opnions...yes, i am a pussy)

I'd say Indious is imposbly close behind. I loved that movie so much. Still do, as a matter of fact. I'm oddly partial to this one.

As far as the film I was most looking forward to and was absolutely perfect (please don't argue, this is my opinion <3) Scream 4 would get my vote. I left that movie COMPLETELY satisfied.

If we were going for surpringly touching and slightly (SLIGHTLY) frightening and gory independent films, then my vote would be Hobo With A Shotgun hands down.

While Grave Encounters did excite me, it just didn't do enough for me to get a vote.

So I guess I have to make the tough decion. For its revolution, its originality, and its scares, I'll go with Indious.

(this was so hard)

good break down, i agree with a lot of what you said there, and Indious is a kick ass pick.
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 12/03/2011 at 03:09 AM | 87807
Kind of a tough decion. I really liked the majority of the choices here, with the exception of (going to get guff for this...) the Scream movies. No offense to any Scream fans, I just didn't care for the first one, and 3 sequels didn't do anything to change my opinions :P Saw the first one, saw half of the 2nd one... Didn't give a shit about the 3rd one, and the 4th one, well, didn't really care to see it either lol.

Hobo with a Shotgun holds some almost sentimental value with me for reasons that I lack the words to explain... lol. Really enjoyed Red State, thought it was different. Indious was interesting and the cheap scares worked. I like a lot of movies for a lot of different reasons.

But I think I will go with Paranormal Activity 3. I just really got into the whole series, and the subtle special effects with such a low budget. And the important thing: I actually found them somewhat scary/creepy. So there's my vote: PA 3
Jonny Sicko Saturday 12/03/2011 at 05:12 AM | 87813
another solid pic there Jon, although I guess for the most part, picking any one of these flicks is gonna make for a reasonably solid pick lol
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 12/03/2011 at 03:34 PM | 87831
Stake Land
crazymage Saturday 12/03/2011 at 11:23 PM | 87852
Kind of a tough decion. I really liked the majority of the choices here, with the exception of (going to get guff for this...) the Scream movies. No offense to any Scream fans, I just didn't care for the first one, and 3 sequels didn't do anything to change my opinions :P Saw the first one, saw half of the 2nd one... Didn't give a shit about the 3rd one, and the 4th one, well, didn't really care to see it either lol.

Hobo with a Shotgun holds some almost sentimental value with me for reasons that I lack the words to explain... lol. Really enjoyed Red State, thought it was different. Indious was interesting and the cheap scares worked. I like a lot of movies for a lot of different reasons.

But I think I will go with Paranormal Activity 3. I just really got into the whole series, and the subtle special effects with such a low budget. And the important thing: I actually found them somewhat scary/creepy. So there's my vote: PA 3

Very well summed up and nearly identical to how I feel although I am going to put Indious just a notch above PA3 for the top pick for me in 2011.
Shakelford, J. Rusty Sunday 12/04/2011 at 12:00 AM | 87854
Great topic btw Matt. Kudos on all the columns this year on the te!
Shakelford, J. Rusty Sunday 12/04/2011 at 12:01 AM | 87855
HOBO!
frankenfish Sunday 12/04/2011 at 12:04 AM | 87856
Indious.
deadbutalive Sunday 12/04/2011 at 01:53 AM | 87863
RED STATE!

I fucking HATED Grave Encounters, I'll actually say that this was my personal WORST film of the year (Mind you I didn't catch Creature). I thought it was just very bad quality horror with cheap scares and overall it was so boring with all it's constant rip offs of other films.
joshk1986 Sunday 12/04/2011 at 06:12 AM | 87876
I don't think red state was really horror so i'll go with PA3.
BIGKen Sunday 12/04/2011 at 06:57 AM | 87878
God, I've only seen 2 of these... SCREAM4 and Tucker and Dale... Chillerama looks great though...
Kidtut Sunday 12/04/2011 at 05:37 PM | 87887
Red State is the best movie out of the options, though not really horror. Troll Hunter was pretty fuckin' cool, though.

For some reason i thought The Last Exorcism was released early this year, but it wasn't.
AgnesItsMeBilly Sunday 12/04/2011 at 06:04 PM | 87888
chillerama was awesome, but Indious was hands down the best this year...
jswaffxxx Sunday 12/04/2011 at 11:22 PM | 87895
Hobo With A Shotgun all the way!
andychamp Monday 12/05/2011 at 12:31 AM | 87897
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN!!!!
darkdeepwoods16 Monday 12/05/2011 at 02:05 AM | 87900
I really enjoyed Indious, granted the ending was pretty weak but the jump scenes were great, it got me a few times (course I am wound pretty tight) I thought they did a great job at slowly building the tenon. I don't know that I would call it the BEST, but it was a fun movie.

Tucker and Dale was AWESOME. I loved every minute of it and I even loved the totally predictable ending. This will definitely make my list of favorite horror/comedies.

Hobo With A Shotgun wins hands down IMO. It was one of the best disgusting gore fests I have seen in quite a while. I loved this movie, It reminded me of everything I love about Troma but with better effects. Instant Clasc!!!
UndeadPlatypus Tuesday 12/06/2011 at 09:32 PM | 87999
BLACK DEATH, THE TAINT, RED STATE
ny ghoul Wednesday 12/07/2011 at 06:29 PM | 88042

scream 4 all the others are lame.
Fridaythe13th Wednesday 12/21/2011 at 04:35 AM | 88490
:JGTH:

scream 4 all the others are lame.

one of the lliest statements I've read on this t, unquestionably.

lly kids!
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 12/22/2011 at 01:06 AM | 88523
If they've thought about it at all, most Bidites would probably expect me to pick Scream 4 as the winner here, and I do think it's a damn fine movie. However, as much as I enjoy it (and really enjoyed Emma Roberts as the killer) I have to acknowledge that the movie did end up having some scenes cut out that really

should have been left in, and the characters played by Nico Tortorella and especially Mary McDonnell were left very undeveloped by those cuts. I can overlook that to a large extent due to what I see as many other redeeming qualities in the film, but I have to admit that another movie was more technically accomplished.That movie is Paranormal Activity 3. It's my favorite in the franchise so far. Many scenes in this movie were just brilliantly executed and I felt like everybody involved more or less brought their A-game to the project. The ending was utterly devastating to me (even though I knew it couldn't end well) and I can't wait to see where it goes next.Scream 4 would still be my choice for second best of the year, with Indious coming in at number 3 and Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil rounding out my personal top 4.
ImmortalSidneyP Thursday 12/22/2011 at 01:22 PM | 88553
Only a few more days left! Get in your votes while you still can!!!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 12/29/2011 at 04:29 AM | 88729
Choong from this list, I undoubtedly pick Scream 4. Of course many others on this list are great choices, but this fourth installment of Wes Craven's Ghostface anthology is right up there with the first, in my opinion. Definitely surpasses parts 2 & 3 no question.
buried13 Thursday 12/29/2011 at 03:08 PM | 88743
Scream 4 is good, but I love INDIOUS.
darkerdays Friday 12/30/2011 at 12:55 AM | 88767
I loved quite a few on the list but I think I'll have to go with Tucker and Dale. The movie was a breath of fresh air.
Cecil Friday 12/30/2011 at 07:32 AM | 88778
indious did creep me out i just wish the ghost at the ned would have been a little more ghostly and not feel like people in costumes walking around. But good movie.
Jack123 Friday 12/30/2011 at 02:30 PM | 88785
Stake Land, easy choice!
chiang01 Friday 12/30/2011 at 09:20 PM | 88794
I'm going to give my vote to Tucker and Dale it was close grave encounters and troll hunter were close runner ups for best horror film. But Tucker and Dale was a hair line

better.
Fearsom Friday 12/30/2011 at 10:56 PM | 88795
I'm gonna have to go ahead and go with Stake Land.

Very well done in every way.

Indeous was ok.

Haven't seen T&D vs. evil or a few others so I have no right to say anything there.

But Stake Land was just awesome. a traveling expose' of horror.

Bring on the blood for 2012.

edit: I did see Hobo. Good film and it was very cool to see Rutger Hauer back in action. You guys should really research his films and see them if you haven't. It will be worth it. May I suggest "Surviving the Game" which sports an all star cast.
aceofspades70 Friday 12/30/2011 at 11:14 PM | 88796

Indeous was ok.

Haven't seen T&D vs. evil or a few others so I have no right to say anything there.

edit: I did see Hobo. Good film and it was very cool to see Rutger Hauer back in action. You guys should really research his films and see them if you haven't. It will be worth it. May I suggest "Surviving the Game" which sports an all star cast.

I still get a crazy kick out of Surviving the Game lol
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 12/31/2011 at 01:42 AM | 88806
This is really coming down to the wire and congrats to whoever picks up the first of our "horror movie of the year" awards. Stake Land was great, Indious was great, really enjoyed Tucker and Dale vs. Evil., Troll Hunter was right up there as was Grave Encounters although I could have done without some of the CGI. I personally loved Machete but wasn't a huge fan of Hobo with a Shotgun which kinda surprised me. Huge, Huge fan of Scream but thought the fourth installment was a big miss and could have been so much more. I really am having a tough time picking and that is why I am so glad Matt started this thread. I can't wait to see who wins. And bring on 2012!!!!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 12/31/2011 at 02:59 AM | 88811
I think I'm gonna have to say Indious. There were a lot out there that I looked forward to seeing, but they all turned out to be turds. (Shark Night, Apollo 18 you know who you are) Tucker & Dale was up there for me, as was Stake Land. I also liked Paranormal Activity 3, just for the fact that they didn't use one ngle frame of film from the trailer in the actual movie. Genius!
Anonymous Saturday 12/31/2011 at 04:49 AM | 88814

Indeous was ok.

I still get a crazy kick out of Surviving the Game lol

"You know why we're gonna get you Mason? 'cause I can smell your stinkin' ass from here."
aceofspades70 Saturday 12/31/2011 at 02:42 PM | 88822
STAKE LAND!
BIGKen Saturday 12/31/2011 at 11:56 PM | 88840
Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil, or Scream 4. I can't really pick, because although I am a die-hard fan of the Scream franchise, I still

have to give props to Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil for being one of the most original and fun films of the past decade. But either one would make a sufficient Horror Film Of The Year.
TheyCallMeGhostface Sunday 1/01/2012 at 01:16 AM | 88844
SCRE4M for me! Everything about it was perfect!
zuzek1996 Monday 1/16/2012 at 11:24 PM | 89587