Forums Horror Movie Talk
A True American Horror Story - WWE Chris Benoit Biopic in Development

Many of you that follow the te know I have a secret pason for the "sport" of profesonal wrestling. Yes, I know it is as fake as skim milk but no one ever seems to bring up the fact that movies are also fake? So for whatever reason fans of wrestling tend to hide their love. Regardless of whether you enjoy "rasslin" or not, the behind-the-scenes stories are often more fascinating then the scripted elements that make TV each week. Such is the case with "The Canadian Crippler" Chris Beniot.

I followed Beniot's career as he came up through the ranks and yes I was a fan of his work in the ring. Which was all the more shocker to me when I found out he brutally killed his wife and child and then hung himself in his very own home gym. The pressures of life got to this man and apparently they are going to make a movie about his life.

According to SRGfilms, "Crossface," a biographical thriller, delves into the pressures WWE superstar Chris Benoit faced throughout his wrestling career as the combination of drug-use, depreson, and head trauma became increangly imposble for him to handle. The true story made headline news in 2007 when Chris murdered his wife and young son before taking his own life.

SRG Films head Dale Alexander Carnegie is producing the film, while William Morris Endeavor (WME) is on board to package the project. Former Weinstein Company staffer, Sarah Coulter, turned in the first draft of the script in mid-October.

"All of us grow up believing that wrestling is fake, but looking at the shocking number of deaths in the industry, it quickly becomes evident that there is nothing fake about the dangers of this sport," Carnegie said. "Chris Benoit has become a poster child for everything that's wrong with profesonal wrestling and Sarah's terrific script captures his struggles and the many factors that led to the deaths of three people."

SRG Films, currently in talks with directors and actors, plans to begin filming in the fall of 2012.

So is this capitalizing on a horrible act of violence acceptable for you to watch? I'm a bit torn on my views here. I would like to see the film but it feels a bit out of place to watch something that is still so fresh and so tragic. Your thoughts?

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 12/04/2011 at 04:38 PM | 87883
This is one story I wish they would let die....It was a tragady

that hurt alot of people and to make it a movie would be stupid....Im not interetsed in seeing this as a movie....
chardy Sunday 12/04/2011 at 04:57 PM | 87885
This would be EXTREMELY hard to watch if they try and reenact ANYTHING from that day. If not, it wouldn't be so bad...but this is a HUGE black eye for the sport of wrestling, and entertainment in general. Where there is money to be made, people will go for it,
Skyler2Dope Sunday 12/04/2011 at 09:51 PM | 87892
I for one want to see this happen. Horrifying story that (if executed properly) will likely scare the hell out of us, and tug at our tear ducts. Terribly sad story, but it could make for a really compelling film. They could also really use the movie to work in advocacy fashion, especially with marketing.
Matt_Molgaard Monday 12/05/2011 at 06:21 PM | 87920
I think that it's terrible that they are going to make a movie about this. I can't see them showing him kill his young son. That has to be the most horrible thing that any man can do. Fantasy is one thing, but when you bring in horrible realities like the Benoit murders/suicide it is ridiculous.
SKAPEGOAT Monday 12/05/2011 at 07:00 PM | 87926
I think that it's terrible that they are going to make a movie about this. I can't see them showing him kill his young son. That has to be the most horrible thing that any man can do. Fantasy is one thing, but when you bring in horrible realities like the Benoit murders/suicide it is ridiculous.

But you've got to realize there are plenty of quality horror offerings that are based upon despicable factual events. I mean, just look at Ed Gein alone: that was one SERIOUSLY ck, ck, disturbed individual (who was living the life of a fucking madman, rather than the life of a guy who's drug abuse led him snapping), yet films like Psycho and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are beloved genre efforts.
Matt_Molgaard Monday 12/05/2011 at 07:28 PM | 87929
I for one want to see this happen. Horrifying story that (if executed properly) will likely scare the hell out of us, and tug at our tear ducts. Terribly sad story, but it could make for a really compelling film. They could also really use the movie to work in advocacy fashion, especially with marketing.

Couldn't agree more. How many movies were made about 9/11? It felt like the dust from the buildings hadn't even settled and they were already writing scripts. Not trying to compare apples with oranges (or disrespect Benoit's family or fans) but the World Trade Center disaster had a bigger impact than Benoit's rampage yet droves of people went to see movies like World Trade Center and United 93.

As unfortunate as the Benoit story is, it has the potential to make an incredible and compelling movie. A lot of the best stories out there are those of tragedy.

Anybody see The Wrestler?
DaShape Monday 12/05/2011 at 08:02 PM | 87933
I will watch this in hopes that it tells the true story of high profile wrestling.

The Wrestler was able to portray the tragic de of aged wrestlers and how many of their lives are - but with this one they have the ability to show the hardships, extreme pressure and stress placed on these athletes as they are at they top of their "sport".

We should be able to look past the end, the deaths - to understand and see the potential for this film.

It will hopefully be so much more than Chris crazed and killing his family and then himself - if we're lucky that will be but a part of a much larger and more intricate work of art.
RHOADES Monday 12/05/2011 at 08:07 PM | 87934
It was a terrible tragedy and I feel bad for Chris Benoit because he's being looked at like a real world monster by the public when he was clearly unstable.I would nun the less like to see this movie made because it seems like it would be a dramatic film.Im a big wrestling fan and I feel bad for not only Chris and his family but the entire WWE which took some major backlash over this which I thought was a shame.It isn't the company's fault.I have alot of respect for the WWE Universe and it's leader Vince McMahon who as far as wrestling promoter's go he is the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be.
horrorlord Saturday 12/10/2011 at 06:22 AM | 88131