Forums Off Topic
The Vampire Film: From Nosferatu to True Blood (Book Review)

I always find difficulty in reviewing informative literature, as these works tend to either stink of languor or come across as so perfectly written that the idea of critiquing it becomes an intimidating notion. Alain lver and James Urni fit more within the confines of the latter than the former, but the current edition of “Vampire Film” is admittedly infectious, and very enjoyable; even as a typical guy who’s ridiculously far from obsessed with blood sucking night walkers, the book still demanded a twice over before attempting to break things down, and that says something. I can only try to imagine how much true vampire fanatics will cherish this piece of work.

lver and Urni cover the mythos thoroughly, and explore the content from the days of the earliest leaps of literature to film, all the way up to contemporary renditions that range from the Underworld films to goofy B movie efforts like Transylmania. And, as both a bibliophile and a true film buff, I must admit, The Vampire Film is a deeply entertaining piece of work that’s likely to stir readers’ interest in vampires, whether their pason for the subject matter be slight or insanely obsesve; this book will have you sorting through the sub-genre with a whole new interest.

http://youtu.be/dRLP4kPlJrY

One of the finest qualities proffered by The Vampire Film is the invested attention to detail. Too many times I’ve picked up books of milar nature, only to discover that the authors attached have mply skimmed the surface of a very deep and vast pool of content available to anyone willing to study it. lver and Urni leave very few bases uncovered, and I’d challenge just about anyone to test the meticulousness of this particular work. While (as I’ve mentioned) I’m not a diehard fan of the vampire, I am obsessed with film enough to have seen a good 75-80 percent of the films discussed within this particular body: it’s tough to find any form of error, inconstency or contradiction. Furthermore, the technical film references allude to a sound knowledge of filmmaking in general, and that’s an element of writing that is rarely apparent in this day and age, be it due to a lack of education, or a lack of interest in deep analytical expreson; either way, it’s become somewhat of a novelty.

I can’t honestly t back and tell you this book is for everyone. It’s not. However, if vampires are your fancy, this could damn near be condered the undead bible (perhaps encyclopedia would be a better term?), as oxymoronic as that sounds. Film students will also cherish The Vampire Film for the essential blueprint that it is, as the book provides a solid outline to just about all things in relation to vampires and theatrical crafts. As an avid reader, and longtime follower of the horror genre, I can say with complete honesty that this book is superb, informative and entertaining in general. I’d personally recommend it to anyone able to stomach the ght of blood.
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 12/06/2011 at 05:56 PM | 87972
For my money, both Nosferatu, and Francis Ford's Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula, are the only 2 true Vampire movies. All the other's seem to be to sensationalized, and over the top, in many cases.
Dimiter Tuesday 12/06/2011 at 07:11 PM | 87978
For my money, both Nosferatu, and Francis Ford's Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula, are the only 2 true Vampire movies. All the other's seem to be to sensationalized, and over the top, in many cases.

You sound like the PERFECT candidate to read this book. :) (not an insult, btw!)
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 12/06/2011 at 07:26 PM | 87983
Might have to do that. Thankyou r.
Dimiter Tuesday 12/06/2011 at 09:16 PM | 87997
For my money, both Nosferatu, and Francis Ford's Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula, are the only 2 true Vampire movies. All the other's seem to be to sensationalized, and over the top, in many cases. Although I really dig Bram Stoker's, there are quite a few scenes in the film that are somewhat over the top or sensationalized

but it's definitely one of my favorites. Although I haven't seen it nce I was a child, I still like Dracula with Bela Lego and I plan to buy it (especially nce I haven't seen it in years and Nostalgia may kick in).
Sephit Thursday 12/08/2011 at 08:38 AM | 88066
I'm a big fun of the film of vampire series, I watched The Vampire Daries and The "Twilight" movies and so on.

I will watch From Nosferatu to True Blood ifI have enough time.
vimpire Tuesday 12/13/2011 at 04:39 AM | 88225