Forums Off Topic
Diary Of A Mad Fan: Opinions Are Like A$$holes!

WARNING! THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS A NUMBER OF OPINIONS. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

While I conder myself to be a pretty opinionated guy I never try to force them on anyone. Though I believe Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2 to be more enjoyable than Rob Zombie’s first go-around with Michael Myers, I don’t get pissed off when (most) cinephiles bash it to pieces. I smile, nod, and utter a quiet little “fuck you” in my head, and go on about my buness. Rest assured, friends,

I humbly acknowledge my views are certainly not the end all be all answer to life’s many mysteries, just the thoughts and reflections of an Average Joe who wants what most of us Bidites want. . .to be heard.

HorrorBid gives us that voice.

nce my first headliner, an amung little ditty defending the often maligned (there’s one) Rob Zombie’s Halloween II, I’ve enjoyed writing several rants from a review of the curious “Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl” to a fuming tirade on Hollywood and how the Indie Circuit is the way to go (there’s another). I love being able to post a blog and read the comments. Fun stuff!

HELLRAISER SUCKS YOUR MAMA’S FACE AND THE DVD MAKES A GREAT COATSER!!! The Mighty Opinion is one kind of petrol that drives innovation. Fact! It is the foundation of our very existence! Think about it. Decions are made based on opinions all the time.

Case in point, it was the opinion of the filmmakers that it was time to remake “A Nightmare on Elm Street”, and it the opinion of this film-watcher that said film is a borderline travesty. I say “borderline” because it’s not vomit-spewing awful, just more of a bitter disappointment, kinda like your first time gettin’ jiggy with it, if you know what I mean. Wink wink! Now, I am of the opinion that Jackie Earl Haley is a worthy successor to Robert Englund’s Freddy, however, some folks swear there can be only one Freddy. I’m cool with that. Some of you thoroughly enjoyed the remake of “Friday the 13th”. I thought it could have been much much better. Sue

me.

See, those are opinions. Now we’re getting it.

OTHER THAN HALLOWEEN, WHAT’S SO GREAT ABOUT JOHN CARPENTER AGAIN? OH, RIGHT. THE THING. But opinions can be a nasty little thing. In addition to inspiring creativity and ingenuity, the mighty opinion can also incite vitriol. It can create rivalries that sometimes escalate to an all-out blood feud. Everyone parked in front of a glowing monitor has an opinion, and, with the keys dancing beneath our eager little fingertips, we’re suddenly unafraid to share them with the rest of the world. We’re emboldened by anonymity, and many of us suddenly have the balls in cyberspace we lack in real life.

JAY LENO’S CHIN MAY JUST BE BIGGER THAN BRUCE CAMPBELLS’S. JUST SAYIN’. I’ve been to tes where people wish death on others for liking or disliking a film. These people would not make very good elected officials. I’ve seen forums where people are so pasonate about a film or series, anyone else that has an O-P-I-N-I-O-N can eat savory horseshit and die. Oppresve, no? Rarely do I engage these pasonate folks, as the fight is lost from the get-go, but sometimes, just sometimes, you gotta call these fuckers out and tell ‘em to mmer down now!

That’s what this article’s about.

THE 2003 TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE REMAKE IS ONE OF THE BETTER REMAKES. THERE! I SAID IT! JESCA BIEL, HOLLA!Now, I haven’t really seen a whole hell of a lot of this kind of venom on Horror Bid, which is ironic if you stop and think about it. One of Horror Bid’s main objectives is to give voice to the multitude of horror fans looking to air their opinions to an online world willing to listen (or read). While there are certainly a great number of pasonately opinionated Bidites out there, online etiquette seems to be pretty noble, and I dig that. There’s no need to get your blood pressure up because it is my opinion that the first ten minutes of “House of 1000 Corpses” is the best part of the whole movie. Nope.

Instead, rejoice that we don’t all think alike. If not for the opinion of many a celebrated filmmaker that thinks dramas are boring, we wouldn’t have action movies. If not for the opinion of many a twisted folk who like to laugh but also like blood and guts, we wouldn’t have quality films like “An American Werewolf in London” or “Evil Dead 2”. And it is my opinion those two films are on my DVD shelf for a reason, and demand multiple viewings.

SEE NO EVIL WAS FUN AND SHOULD GET A SEQUEL.So you see fellow Bidites, there are no right or wrong opinions, just right and wrong reactions to these opinions. It’s stupid to get all bent out of shape because I think the Saw series is as played out as my ex-girlfriend’s fat ass. Saw fans should respect that, just like I respect that most of you would rather be infected with gonorrhea than t through another viewing of Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2. It’s all good.

PHUCK PHANTASM!!! In the grand scheme of things the mighty opinion is a very powerful thing indeed. It can inspire us to aspire, as well as incite many a fight, online and off. One thing is certain, opinions, no matter how anine or brilliant, should all be respected.

TRICK R TREAT WAS OKAY…

the_vengeful_machete Saturday 12/10/2011 at 12:08 AM | 88121
I can see why you wouldn't like Hellraiser, but I personally find it enjoyable.

In the case of John Carpenter, I would say he has loads of awesome movies bedes Halloween and The Thing. Escape from New York, In the Mouth of Madness, Escape from L.A. (I liked that one), They Live, The Fog, Christine, Prince of Darkness, Body Bags, and my personal favorite, Big Trouble in Little China.

I'll agree that Jay Leno's chin is bigger than Bruce Campbell's, but Campbell's chin is made of pure, 100% awesome.

I really liked The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake.

I have not seen See No Evil, so no comment.

As for hating the Phantasm series...well, the first is one of my favorite movies of all time, the sequel was strong, the third was OK, and the fourth wrapped everything up nicely. I'll admit it, I get a little teary-eyed at the end of 4, nce I've grown towards these characters so much over the course of four films. They're certainly outlandish and surreal, but the film was made to replicate a nightmare with all kinds of weird-ass shit going on, much like Suspiria. I suppose if you dislike the characters, the whole thing will seem pointless, but I really connected with them.

But all this is coming from the guy who liked My Soul to Take, so why trust his opinion? I won't judge, and I don't really care whether or not you feel the need to phuck Phantasm. Some great, controveral opinions here, but I thought the remake to TCM was widely known for being one of the best remakes out there. At least, that's what I've heard.
ObscureCinema101 Saturday 12/10/2011 at 01:42 AM | 88126
lmao - wrote a MASVE response to this, only to have my laptop do some funny style shit and take me to twitter for no damn reason lol

an idea of what i typed:

good piece. As we know (lol) I disagree with plenty of your opinions, but I agree with plenty as well and dont view your general thought process as unreliable or questionable for that matter; if you recommended a flick to me, I'd check it out rather than disregarding the recommendation.

some of my opinions that often lead to plugged noses...

Christine is technically a superior film to Halloween: Love, love, love Halloween, more so than Christine, but Christine is TECHNICALLY the superior flick. Having a bit of film schooling under my belt enables me to see the evolution of carpenter here, and in technical terms, Christine is so far ahead of Halloween it isnt funny.

Friday remake was awesome: Love how they tied together the general script ideas from the first four flicks. Thought it worked really, really well, and even though this flick gets bashed beyond belief, its more enjoyable than the vast majority of franchise installments.

the original Scream was the only one that was truly magical: I've seen too many people to count rank the original Scream behind 2, or 4. Nothing has ever matched the mystique of the first.

Suspiria gets worse with time: I like the film, but it's one of the most overrated flicks in history for me. It gets a bit more unbearable with each watch and I often wonder how I once condered this a top 10 great.

Super 8 ruled: I don't care what the naysayers have to spew, this one is an absolute blast for me...oh the nostalgia!

Black Christmas remake was fun: fuckin flesh cookies man! when i watch this one i pretend its not a remake, and that its a whole different flick, its so fun for me that way. oh the tree topper!

The Thing prequel was pretty damn underrated/good: A fun flick for me that obviously felt more like a reimagining than a prequel. CGI was a bit excesve, and its got nothing on the original, but i certainly didnt feel ripped off in the slightest.

the TCSM remakes/reboots are offenvely overrated: I'm always blown away when I hear someone praise the hell out of these flicks. They feel so soulless it almost hurts.

Halloween III was a fantastic flick: people hate me for this opinion, but I adore SOTW: it was everything I could ask for from a seasonal horror and I still truly believe that had the word 'halloween' not been fixed to the title, it would be a masve fan favorite clasc.

The last Redent Evil flick was fucking terrible: a lot of people seem to really enjoy the movie: i thought it was as dull as a fucking bowling ball. It felt like i watched 1 hr 30 minutes of lame down time for 10 minutes of cool zombie action.

The Haunted world of el Superbeasto is RZ's best flick: outde the first 10-20 mins of HO1kC, an animated flick is Zombies strongest effort. Nuff said.probably had about 10 more things added, but im officially tired of typing (been workin all damn day as it is) lol
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 12/10/2011 at 03:16 AM | 88128
I can see why you wouldn't like Hellraiser, but I personally find it enjoyable.

In the case of John Carpenter, I would say he has loads of awesome movies bedes Halloween and The Thing. Escape from New York, In the Mouth of Madness, Escape from L.A. (I liked that one), They Live, The Fog, Christine, Prince of Darkness, Body Bags, and my personal favorite, Big Trouble in Little China.

I'll agree that Jay Leno's chin is bigger than Bruce Campbell's, but Campbell's chin is made of pure, 100% awesome.

I really liked The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake.

I have not seen See No Evil, so no comment.

As for hating the Phantasm series...well, the first is one of my favorite movies of all time, the sequel was strong, the third was OK, and the fourth wrapped everything up nicely. I'll admit it, I get a little teary-eyed at the end of 4, nce I've grown towards these characters so much over the course of four films. They're certainly outlandish and surreal, but the film was made to replicate a nightmare with all kinds of weird-ass shit going on, much like Suspiria. I suppose if you dislike the characters, the whole thing will seem pointless, but I really connected with them.

But all this is coming from the guy who liked My Soul to Take, so why trust his opinion? I won't judge, and I don't really care whether or not you feel the need to phuck Phantasm. Some great, controveral opinions here, but I thought the remake to TCM was widely known for being one of the best remakes out there. At least, that's what I've heard.

First, let me kick off this reply by saying, I can see why I wouldn't like Hellraiser, too. Also, the thing I remember most about Phantasm (even re-watching it most recently) was repeated shots of The Tall Man walking in slow motion.

I would like to take a moment to correct you, good r. I have not seen, nor will I ever see "My Soul to Take". I made up my mind about that movie when I saw the trailer (and listened to a whole slew of opinions). Thanks, but no thanks. So, you cannot rightfully say, "But all this is coming from the guy who liked My Soul to Take, so why trust his opinion?" I never saw it, bud.

Second, you're right about John Carpenter. That comment was included mainly for shock value, but I stand firmly behind the rest of the above opinions, by golly. So there you go.

Third, clear your mind and check out "See No Evil" with little to no expectations, and you'll do all right.

Last but certainly not least... I love me some tacos!

the_vengeful_machete Saturday 12/10/2011 at 03:17 PM | 88140
lmao - wrote a MASVE response to this, only to have my laptop do some funny style shit and take me to twitter for no damn reason lol

an idea of what i typed:

good piece. As we know (lol) I disagree with plenty of your opinions, but I agree with plenty as well and dont view your general thought process as unreliable or questionable for that matter; if you recommended a flick to me, I'd check it out rather than disregarding the recommendation.

Christine is technically a superior film to Halloween: Love, love, love Halloween, more so than Christine, but Christine is TECHNICALLY the superior flick. Having a bit of film schooling under my belt enables me to see the evolution of carpenter here, and in technical terms, Christine is so far ahead of Halloween it isnt funny.

Friday remake was awesome: Love how they tied together the general script ideas from the first four flicks. Thought it worked really, really well, and even though this flick gets bashed beyond belief, its more enjoyable than the vast majority of franchise installments.

the original Scream was the only one that was truly magical: I've seen too many people to count rank the original Scream behind 2, or 4. Nothing has ever matched the mystique of the first.

Suspiria gets worse with time: I like the film, but it's one of the most overrated flicks in history for me. It gets a bit more unbearable with each watch and I often wonder how I once condered this a top 10 great.

Super 8 ruled: I don't care what the naysayers have to spew, this one is an absolute blast for me...oh the nostalgia!

Black Christmas remake was fun: fuckin flesh cookies man! when i watch this one i pretend its not a remake, and that its a whole different flick, its so fun for me that way. oh the tree topper!

The Thing prequel was pretty damn underrated/good: A fun flick for me that obviously felt more like a reimagining than a prequel. CGI was a bit excesve, and its got nothing on the original, but i certainly didnt feel ripped off in the slightest.

the TCSM remakes/reboots are offenvely overrated: I'm always blown away when I hear someone praise the hell out of these flicks. They feel so soulless it almost hurts.

Halloween III was a fantastic flick: people hate me for this opinion, but I adore SOTW: it was everything I could ask for from a seasonal horror and I still truly believe that had the word 'halloween' not been fixed to the title, it would be a masve fan favorite clasc.

The last Redent Evil flick was fucking terrible: a lot of people seem to really enjoy the movie: i thought it was as dull as a fucking bowling ball. It felt like i watched 1 hr 30 minutes of lame down time for 10 minutes of cool zombie action.

The Haunted world of el Superbeasto is RZ's best flick: outde the first 10-20 mins of HO1kC, an animated flick is Zombies strongest effort. Nuff said.probably had about 10 more things added, but im officially tired of typing (been workin all damn day as it is) lol

Whaddya know, we agree on a lot of your above opinions.

The first Scream is certainly the best. It's hook was the twist ending, which really can't be replicated in any sequels without dumbing it waaaaaaaaay down.

Christine is a techinically (meaning the execution of it) better film than Halloween. With anything you do, you get better at it over time. plus, I'm sure J.C. had a bit bigger budget to work with.

I was going to include an opinion stating that I very much enjoy Halloween III: Season of the witch. If people would forget about the "Halloween III" part of the title and view it as a stand alone piece, they would see it differently.

The Platinum Dunes TCM prequel was okay, but I really dig the first one because. I guess I'm just partial to Jesca Biel.

I don't like the tunnels used in the Friday remake, although I suppose it makes sense to give Jason that kind of run of Crystal Lake. There are some good points about the movie, but there are quite a few bad ones (for me anyway).

I have a hard time falling in love with the Redent Evil movies anyway.

I have to disagree with you on El Super Beasto being Rob's best. By now this may be somewhat of a cliche' but "The Devil's Rejects" is his best. It feels like a Rob Zombie movie. They are his characters, and the whole thing has the RZ vibe down to a T. It's like his rockstar image precedes his talents as a filmmaker. The last half of the Halloween remake seemed like he had lost his fire. "Okay, we're done shooting the white trash scenes, time to do the boring stuff like teenage suburban girls. gh." I guess that's why H2 works better for me. It just fits better with the idea of Rob Zombie. So maybe all he can do are movies with white trash psychos. Who knows. I just wonder, wouldn't he have been more at homne remaking "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"?

And Cheesecake is the way to go.
the_vengeful_machete Saturday 12/10/2011 at 03:35 PM | 88142

an idea of what i typed:

Whaddya know, we agree on a lot of your above opinions.

The first Scream is certainly the best. It's hook was the twist ending, which really can't be replicated in any sequels without dumbing it waaaaaaaaay down.

Christine is a techinically (meaning the execution of it) better film than Halloween. With anything you do, you get better at it over time. plus, I'm sure J.C. had a bit bigger budget to work with.

I was going to include an opinion stating that I very much enjoy Halloween III: Season of the witch. If people would forget about the "Halloween III" part of the title and view it as a stand alone piece, they would see it differently.

The Platinum Dunes TCM prequel was okay, but I really dig the first one because. I guess I'm just partial to Jesca Biel.

I don't like the tunnels used in the Friday remake, although I suppose it makes sense to give Jason that kind of run of Crystal Lake. There are some good points about the movie, but there are quite a few bad ones (for me anyway).

I have a hard time falling in love with the Redent Evil movies anyway.

I have to disagree with you on El Super Beasto being Rob's best. By now this may be somewhat of a cliche' but "The Devil's Rejects" is his best. It feels like a Rob Zombie movie. They are his characters, and the whole thing has the RZ vibe down to a T. It's like his rockstar image precedes his talents as a filmmaker. The last half of the Halloween remake seemed like he had lost his fire. "Okay, we're done shooting the white trash scenes, time to do the boring stuff like teenage suburban girls. gh." I guess that's why H2 works better for me. It just fits better with the idea of Rob Zombie. So maybe all he can do are movies with white trash psychos. Who knows. I just wonder, wouldn't he have been more at homne remaking "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"?

And Cheesecake is the way to go.

Devils Rejects is good, I do need to acknowledge that, and no man alive should have any problem staring at Biel for 2 hours, I've gotta be honest there

Cheesecake rules, plain and mple.
Matt_Molgaard Saturday 12/10/2011 at 05:09 PM | 88143
I'd like to know why you hate the first Hellraiser so much, that deserves some elaborating. The first Phantasm had more going for it than just the Tall Man walking around in slow motion, but whatever. While I am definatly not a fan of Rob Zombie, you have to admit it's a little odd that he made the main villans (Otis in House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, Michael Myers in H1 and H2) in each of his live action movies look like himself: dirty, long hair and big beard. WTF? Is he obsessed with himself or that look? Michael never looked like that in any of the previous movies, so he went out of his way there. When the Lords of Salem comes out are they gonna be a bunch of witches with long, dirty hair and beards as well? It bugs me.
Nick Death Saturday 12/10/2011 at 06:36 PM | 88146
I'd like to know why you hate the first Hellraiser so much, that deserves some elaborating. The first Phantasm had more going for it than just the Tall Man walking around in slow motion, but whatever. While I am definatly not a fan of Rob Zombie, you have to admit it's a little odd that he made the main villans (Otis in House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, Michael Myers in H1 and H2) in each of his live action movies look like himself: dirty, long hair and big beard. WTF? Is he obsessed with himself or that look? Michael never looked like that in any of the previous movies, so he went out of his way there. When the Lords of Salem comes out are they gonna be a bunch of witches with long, dirty hair and beards as well? It bugs me.

I think I can knock out two birds with one stone here and sum up my opinions of both Hellraiser and Phantasm in one fell swoop: They're boring to me. I don't care that

a puzzle box equipped with hooks and chains serves as the gateway to unimaginale pain and pleasures. Whoop dee friggin doo!!! Flying balls and Jawa midgets don't do it for me either, just like I could care less if there's a Star Trek convention nearby. I know what I like and what I like ain't S&M cenobites on an otherworldly quest for twisted pleasures. I have a pretty masve DVD collection without having one ngle Hellraiser or Phantasm on my shelves, and only the first Saw movie. These things just don't appeal to me, but my hats off to any fan of Hellraiser, Phantasm, and Star Trek for that matter. "To each their own," as my dead and buried gran' pappy used to say.As for Rob Zombie...I concur!!! But to be fair his veron of Michael Myers is accurate to the character--hell, even the original shape. Can you picture either veron of Michael Myers standing at a mirror and giving himself a clean shave? Of course original Michael Myers post Halloween II probably wouldn't be growing hair anywhere on his person, least not after suffering those nasty burns, or so I would imagine!

Come to think of it, what Myers-like serial killer wouldn't have excesve facial hair?
the_vengeful_machete Saturday 12/10/2011 at 09:42 PM | 88150
I guess you have to find the mythology of either Hellraiser or Phantasm interesting to like the movies, and I'm obviously into both. I never really did care for the S&M angle of Hellraiser though, I just viewed the cenobites as twisted sadists, the "pleasure" was always on their de. The "jawas" in Phantasm just added to the humor/camp for me, and apparently it was just a coincidence that they looked like the creatures from Star Wars, but that's debatable. As for Zombie's Myers, it does sort of make sense why he looks like he does, but I just didn't agree with Zombie's choice of showing his face sooo much in H2. I know it was his vion and all, but just imagine if Michael hadn't shown his face till the end of the director's cut of H2.....I think it would have made a bigger impact.
Nick Death Sunday 12/11/2011 at 11:23 PM | 88175
I guess you have to find the mythology of either Hellraiser or Phantasm interesting to like the movies, and I'm obviously into both. I never really did care for the S&M angle of Hellraiser though, I just viewed the cenobites as twisted sadists, the "pleasure" was always on their de. The "jawas" in Phantasm just added to the humor/camp for me, and apparently it was just a coincidence that they looked like the creatures from Star Wars, but that's debatable. As for Zombie's Myers, it does sort of make sense why he looks like he does, but I just didn't agree with Zombie's choice of showing his face sooo much in H2. I know it was his vion and all, but just imagine if Michael hadn't shown his face till the end of the director's cut of H2.....I think it would have made a bigger impact.

Yeah, I totally agree with you on H2. Showing his face at the very end would have made a bigger impact for sure. Also, it could have been a little more damaged to coincide with the nasty gunshot at the end of the first one. Remember, that was a .357 magnum. Techincally, half of Myers' head would be gone.
the_vengeful_machete Monday 12/12/2011 at 03:10 AM | 88190