Forums Horror Movie Talk
Chillerama and One Man's Thoughts

While it doesn’t look as though Chillerama will win this year’s Bidite Choice Award for best horror film (at least not by the looks of the votes cast thus far), that doesn’t alter the facts. This is one disgusting anthology that’s managed to earn a treasured place in my heart. The film is fun, funny, grotesque and as outlandish as they come.

From Adam Rifkin’s insanely risque but absolutely enjoyable throwback piece, “Wadzilla” to Tim Sullivan’s homoerotic Greaseesque shocking mucal segment, “I Was a Teenage Werebear”, to Adam Green’s hilarious, "The Diary of Anne Frankenstein", the anthology is a riot. If you enjoy gore, perveron, comedy and well thought out satire, this one is a homerun. Scratch that, Joe Lynch’s wraparound segment "ZomB Movie" is balls to the wall goodness, and upgrades this one from a homerun to a grand slam.

All that said, this is the movie biz, and there are always weaknesses to be spotted. So, I figured, why not point out the pros and cons?

http://youtu.be/pGUCX53u90I

Pros: The nostalgia here is wonderful. Each segment is well acted, and there really isn’t a weak short in the bunch. We’re also treated to a handful of fun cameos and refined performances. But best of all? This flick was made to be viewed while consuming some cold ones, and believe it or now, there’s real replay value here,Cons: I don’t really have too much to criticize here. If there was one thing I could change about the film, I’d rearrange the order in which the stories unfold. “Wadzilla” clearly should have capped off this genius work, while “I Was a Teenage Werebear” would have served as the better opener. I’m a sucker for an anthology that really builds and gains momentum, and the continuity of Chillerama as it stands, is a little sketchy.

Concluon: If you’re fan of old 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s B-movies, than this flick was tailor made for you. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll proclaim it better than Cats; you can bet on it.
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 12/15/2011 at 06:02 AM | 88282
I saw this one on Netflix and was thinking about watching it. Guess i'll give it a shot and let you know what i think.
AgnesItsMeBilly Thursday 12/15/2011 at 05:21 PM | 88290
Didn't like I Was a Teenage Werebear.

I got what it was trying to do, but I just wasn't that amused by it, thought it sucked.

The other segments were great, though.

Loved them.
kennyxedge Thursday 12/15/2011 at 09:11 PM | 88294
I liked it a lot , it was super fun it reminded me of going to the drive in with my dad when I was a kid for all night sci-fi fests, and western fests tting on top of his old big ass station wagon drinking my weight in pep, drive-ins are dissapearing

in this country especially where i live , but i really enjoyed the Adam Green movie the most, I loved the way they were just ung german gibberish and random words and spanish to speak. But all in all I thought it was good times
WRATHCHILD78 Thursday 12/15/2011 at 11:45 PM | 88305
I really enjoyed this little horror/comedy throwback. Going into it I was a little worried that it would be a little too cheesy, but I ended having a great time with it. Alot of people complain about "I Was A Teenage Werebear", but it was better than I thought it would be and reminded me of a Troma movie. "The Diary of Anne Frankenstein" was definatly my favorite and the funniest in my opinion (did anyone else catch that nod to Hatchet in there?). Good gory fun all around.

"Rosebud mother fucker!"
Nick Death Thursday 12/15/2011 at 11:48 PM | 88306
tune in tonight guys, we'll be talking Chillerama on the Ball and Chain Show podcast!
Matt_Molgaard Thursday 12/15/2011 at 11:50 PM | 88308