Forums Horror Movie Talk
Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus, The Original Xenomorph, Giger, Alien DNA & The Space Jockey

As we eagerly await for the arrival of the official trailer from Prometheus which should hit sometime this week, we thought that we'd share an interesting article which was published earlier in the day by Filmophilia. The article features an interesting interview between columnist Erlingur Gretar Einarsson and Ridley Scott

which was conducted this past July while the director was shooting in Iceland. Now that the interview has finally been posted online, we can share some of the highlights from the article.

According to Ridley the film isn't directly related to Alien but by the time the third act concludes, you’ll start to realize there's a DNA of the first alien but not of the subsequent aliens. Giger's involvement in the film is also revealed in the article as well as the mystery of the Space Jockey creature.

Lastly he confims that we won't see the original xenomorph in the movie. Check out the meat & potatoes from the article below:

Erlingur Grétar Einarsson: So you are linking this directly with the Alien films?

Ridley Scott: No. I mean, you could actually say, and there’s a quote I did, a pretty good quote: By the end of the third act you start to realize there’s a DNA of the very first alien, but none of the subsequent aliens. To tell you what that is is a pity, and I’m not going to tell you, because it’s actually pretty good, pretty organic to the process and to the original. But we go back, we don’t go forward.

EGE: The official synops from Fox says that this revolves around the “Alien Gods”, the “Space Jockey” from the first film.

RS: Yeah, so there you have that. I was always amazed that, I mean, I’ve only done two science-fictions, but I was always amazed that no one asked who the hell the Space Jockey was. He wasn’t even called the Space Jockey. During the film they started to call it the Space Jockey. I don’t know who started that one off. I always thought it was amazing that no one ever asked who he was, and why was he there? What was all that about? I sat thinking about this for a while and thought, well, there’s a story! And the other four

missed it! So, here it is.

EGS: Will you be ung any of Giger’s original degn for this film?

RS: We’ve had a pretty good relationship with Giger for many years. I was the first one to go see him in Switzerland, and persuade him to get on a plane. He wouldn’t get on a plane, because he was afraid of flying. And he finally came to Shepperton. He was with me for eleven months. Never went into town, stayed over a pub in Shepperton. Very non-Giger, not exotic. You’d think he’d be in a suite in a hotel. He’s in a pub. He was in a room over a pub, and he was very happy there. And yeah, I brought him in, I showed him what we were doing, showed him the story and he liked it a lot. So he’s doing a little bit of work for me. He’s been doing some murals, big murals, which we’ll see in almost one of the first chambers we encounter when we land where we’re gonna go.

EGE: Final question. I have a feeling what the answer will be, but many want to know. Will we see the original xenomorph in Prometheus?

RS: No. Absolutely not. They squeezed it dry. He (the xenomorph) did very well. (He laughs) He survived, he’s now in Disneyland in Orlando, and no way am I going back there. How did he end up in Disneyland? I saw him in Disneyland, Jesus Christ

Source:Filmophilia
Anonymous Monday 12/19/2011 at 05:41 AM | 88422