Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Sequel to the Last Exorcism Finds It's Director, Start Date Announced

It's been quite a while nce we heard any kind of news regarding the sequel to The Last Exorcism. Up until now, all we really knew was that Ashley Bell was going to reprise her role as Nell Sweetzer.

But now we learned from Deadline that Ed Gass-Donnelly, whose credits include This Beautiful City and Small Town Murder Songs, will direct the R-rated follow-up to the 2010 PG-13 pic that grossed $70 million worldwide. Meanwhile Damien Chazelle will be penning the film with production set to begin next month in New Orleans.

As with the original, Eli Roth is producing via Arcade Pictures with Eric Newman, Marc Abraham and Tom Bliss producing via Strike Entertainment. Studiocanal will fully finance and kick off international sales at the European Film Market in Berlin next month., with a delivery expected for late 2012

According to Deadline the sequel is said to pick up three months after the original left off, but further details have yet to be revealed. Roth says he’s “very, very excited to continue to this story. Obviously with the title of the first one we had not planned on a sequel, but we love the story and subject matter and had what we feel is an inspired idea to continue it. As you can see from other recent films, fans around the world are fascinated by this subject matter, and we want to go deeper and darker this time. The first film worked great as a PG-13 psychological film, but now we want to go R-rated and show the true horror of what this subject matter offers. The biggest creative challenge will be coming up with the right title!”

Newman says, “On behalf of the producing team, we are excited to put the next installment of Nell’s story in the capable hands of Ed Gass-Donnelly. His naturalistic style and performance-based filmmaking make him the perfect choice.” Studiocanal EVP of international distribution, Harold Van Lier, adds, “We are horrified to bring to the marketplace the eagerly awaited sequel to our 2010 worldwide hit. This much bigger scale movie will unravel a profoundly scarier chapter to Nell’s battle between good and evil. God have mercy.”

Source: Deadline
Anonymous Monday 1/23/2012 at 02:50 AM | 89806
I loved the first one. I guess I'm not the only one.
cauwel3 Monday 1/23/2012 at 03:03 AM | 89808
Looking forward to this one.

I know a lot of people didn't care too much for it, but I enjoyed it.
MOWDEReeL Wednesday 1/25/2012 at 02:23 AM | 89876
"The first film worked great as a PG-13 psychological film, but now we want to go R-rated and show the true horror of what this subject matter offers."

Yeah because blood, guts, and titts equate to "true horror". The first film did exactly what it set out to do, and i find it exponentially more horrific than most R rated horror films we've seen in the last decade.

I actually find that quote to be insulting, to myself and to the makers of the first film. Just a naive, ignorant, uninformed statement. As if the R rating will somehow up the dread level.... pathetic.
AgnesItsMeBilly Wednesday 1/25/2012 at 06:00 PM | 89890