Forums Horror Movie Talk
Legendary Horror Road Movies - Let's Take a Ride!

Hey everyone. How ya doin'. Lee Vervoort here (a.k.a. aceofspades70) with a little article I decided to write tonight nce I haven't in a while.

As you can see from the title, this isn't another Gun Town story. Those are in the near future though. No, tonight we're talking road movies of the horror genre.

We know them well. Christine, DUEL, The Car, Race with the Devil, etc. There's nothing quite like the action and suspense of a road movie, especially the stunts involved. They are dangerous, time consuming to shoot and not to mention what permison you have to acquire in order to film on open highways. Most of the time you only have one shot at it because you can imagine how much time is involved and how much damage these vehicles sustain during the beating they are taking.

I realize that some movies seem like a "rip-off" and so on and so forth and not everyone will like it, but I'm a sucker for a good road movie as long as it has some cool stunts and stuff. (after all, I LOVE doing stunt work)

Case in point of a little known car horror film that you may not have heard of, and if you have...you may have forgotten.

Wheels of Terror. The 1990 road/horror film about a 1970's Dodge Charger dressed up in flat black paint and tinted windows. Move over Christine, terror is on the trail.

Now, some may not conder this a complete horror type film and it does start out slow. But man is it ever worth the wait. It builds it's steam up with a storyline. A bit bac mind you, but a good storyline that does make sense...for the most. The female lead takes control of the tuation when she is left no choice by skillful driving of her mini-school bus which sports a racing engine by a wildman mechanic. Apparently, the driver (never seen) is abducting young girls in the car.

The film itself is action packed once things get um....rolling. (pun intended) There is no shortage of thrills and spills...literally. You could even refer to this as a "David and Goliath" type of duel, only Goliath is the smaller vehicle.

We can always expect an awesome and masve ending in a road film, and Wheels of Terror does exactly that. A bit milar to other films, but well worth the wait and well shot.

I found this film tonight on YT and wanted to share it with you along with this article/review. It's a great action packed film once things take off. So grab some friends, some popcorn, your favorite beverage and hang on. You're in for a wild ride of terror and mayhem.

WHEELS OF TERROR - 8/10 ( minus 2 for a slight continuity error, being much like Duel and The Car,

and a scene where the female lead did something that I wouldn't have if....)

Enjoy the show!

http://youtu.be/Ic2_a1COBgE
aceofspades70 Saturday 2/04/2012 at 03:57 AM | 90157
I remember when this movie came on the USA Network one weekend. I think it was the premiere of it. I was 11 or so. I recorded it when it was shown as an encore later that week and wore the videotape out.

I still wait for that film to hit dvd.

I have an obseson with road horror/thriller films, no matter how bad.

Wheels of Terror, The Car, Maximum Overdrive, Christine, Black Cadillac, Road Rage, there was even one about a possessed stock racing car lmao.

Forgot the name of it though.
Poisonxindustry Saturday 2/04/2012 at 09:35 AM | 90165
possessed stock car: Phantom Racer
aceofspades70 Saturday 2/04/2012 at 03:41 PM | 90173
Thank you for having this, I just recently found the VHS to this sealed and could make myself to open it condering the value, and plus am a collector, there is also a movie Nightmares from 1983 which contain 4 Tales one in particular called "the benediction" about a priest running from a black chevy 4x4 In his car sort of like duel, really awesome story and film....
Steph_nightmares Sunday 2/05/2012 at 03:55 AM | 90186
Great article Lee, I remember owning this on VHS. If I'm not mistaken I sold it years ago on eBay.
Anonymous Sunday 2/05/2012 at 06:46 PM | 90198
Great article Lee, I remember owning this on VHS. If I'm not mistaken I sold it years ago on eBay.

You sold it? Die DIE! JK man. Thanks, I love movies like this. Now I want to make one.

Very cool Steph, hang on to it!
aceofspades70 Sunday 2/05/2012 at 11:19 PM | 90204