Forums DVD & Blu-rays
Come to Me, When You Need Something Blu: "Fright Night" 1985 Blu Ray Review

s/large/16535. An Intrada special edition, the cover of the CD booklet features the artwork seen on the blu ray & the magnet. The booklet itself is awesome; including lots of images from the movie, plot elements of the story, & a track listing on the back. Brad Fiedel's work really shines through; if you are a fan of his, this is a MUST. The score for "Fright Night" is ealy one of my favorites. It screams 1980's & is just as enjoyable as the scores from "The Terminator", "Terminator 2: Judgment Day", & "True Lies" (all composed by Fiedel). The track listing & specs of the soundtrack from SAE are as follows from http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/16535/FRIGHT-NIGHT:

"At last! World premiere CD release of the Brad Fiedel's 1985 score for popular Tom Holland horror movie starring Chris Sarandon, William Ragsdale, & Roddy McDowall. Fiedel creates terrific themes anchoring picture in reality, then takes off in wild directions with florid, intense material as vampire horror elements transpire. CD is presented from 1/4" two-track stereo master elements courtesy of both Sony Pictures and composer Fiedel. Some elements were drawn from actual 15 ips mixes, others were from slightly noier 7 1/2 ips tapes. Rather than meld the two, we are presenting the surviving 15 ips cues as an opening suite, followed by the full score from the 7 1/2 ips tapes. Brad Fiedel performs. A scary addition to the Intrada Special Collection! - Douglass Fake, Intrada Producer

Medley

01. Fright Night 15:25

The Score

02. Window Watching 1:57 03. Jerry Takes Off 1:45 04. Drive To Evil and Bat Attack 2:07 05. Charlie's Cathedral, Charmed and Alley Bat 5:29 06. Evil Vitor 1:44 07. Charlie Begs For Help and Come To Me (Seduction Scene) 4:38 08. Vampire Killers and Your Dinner's In The Oven 9:44 09. Jerry's Time Is Up 7:28 10. The Basement 5:21 11. You're So Cool Brewster and Come To Me 5:44

Total Disc Time: 61:39"

It should be noted that in the last track, "Come to Me" has the lyrics in it. Track 7 is the instrumental veron of the song. The soundtrack is eaer to come by as you can still order it from Screen Archives Entertainment for $19.95. If you're a collector of motion picture scores & soundtracks, it's worth every penny.

BLU RAY DISC At this point, you're probably asking yourself if this is something you want to nk your teeth into. As I mentioned, the price tag on tes like E-bay is high. It can go as high as $200 if you're competing for one of the 100 copies gned by Tom Holland. So what does your money get you when it comes to this release? The specs are as follows:

- 1080p High Definition / 2.35:1 - 5.1 DTS-HD MA - Language: English - Subtitles: English SDH - Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Original Theatrical Trailers - 106 Minutes

Visually, the film looks amazing. I was playing it on a PlayStation 3 & was very happy with how it looked. I haven't seen the original DVD release, but have heard that it was grainy & hard to hear at times. The picture quality is great; can't say enough good things about it. I had no issues with the audio playback either. I've heard some complaints regarding the 5.1 separation, but everything sounded clear to me.

The one thing that hurts this release, in my mind, is the lack of special features. It's cool to have the isolated muc track & 2 theatrical trailers, but I could have gone without seeing the Twilight Time library of releases being included. I'm a sucker for extras. I like interviews with the cast, documentaries about the making of, blooper reels, deleted scenes, etc. Given how popular this movie is & the demand from fans to give it a blu ray release, I'm very surprised at the lack of extra material. Then again, the movie is limited to 3,000 copies; not entirely surpring to see all of this potential bonus material was passed up on for an extremely limited release.

So should you buy it? Entirely up to you, of course. Naturally, if you're a collector of rare movies, this is definitely one you will want to add to your library. If you're a die hard fan of the movie looking for a veron of the film with great quality in the audio/video departments, then yes. If you're looking for extra features & all of that, you will probably be disappointed with the lack of them.

Overall Rating...7/10. Lack of special features hurts this release. But the presentation looks and sounds great; you will thoroughly enjoy it. If you can find it at a price you find is justifiable, then grab it while you can. They're becoming harder and harder to find. If you do find one & it's expenve, remember...

"You shouldn't lose your temper. It isn't polite." - Jerry Dandridge
CZW_CJBecker Friday 2/17/2012 at 10:24 PM | 90539