Forums Horror Movie Talk
Do We Really Want An Evil Dead Remake?

Ever nce it was first announced that a remake was in the works for the Sam Raimi clasc - The Evil Dead, die hards have vehemently voiced their displeasure for the forthcoming re-telling. Despite the pleas to cease production from commencing, the film still continues to march on. An Ash-like character has already been gned (Jane Levy) along with two of the films other cast mates, Shiloh Fernandez and Lou Taylor Pucci. So whether we like it or not, the inevitable is going to happen - we're just going to have to keep our fingers crossed that the filmmakers know what their doing. And according to Bruce Campbell they do.

"You can expect to have a damn scary horror movie," says the former franchise character to The Inder. "There's no Ash character -- The Evil Book is going to torment a new set of kids, so it's a remake, or a re-imagining or ... a re-whatever word you want to use. It's going to be re-scary." And as far as the demonic trees that did a number on poor Cheryl, "They're not terribly well-behaved this time either," Bruce laughed.

As for the new Ash ...

"I'm so excited," Jane Levy boasts. "I'm a big fan of the original. To me it's the scariest movie, ever. But this one is really different. They've changed it a lot, but it's still a pretty gory movie. My mom probably can't see it."

As for the tone, Jane says, "I think the humor in the first one came from the special effects of the time. I don't know that they meant it to be funny ... this one is not funny. It's definitely dark."

In the remake from FilmDistrict, Levy would play Mia, a character that is said to be milar to the Bruce Campbell character, Ash. Mia is one of five young people who head to the remote cabin where evil awaits. Recovering from a recent overdose, Mia is particularly vulnerable.

Left to Right: Jane Levy, Shiloh Fernandez and Lou Taylor Pucci

All in all there is a glimmer of hope condering that Raimi, Campbell and Rob Tapert are backing the film along with Ghost House Pictures. So maybe it's time that we just reconder our feelings and try to come to terms with the producers. Maybe there is a good movie to be had.

The Evil Dead is targeted to open April 12, 2013. Fede Alvarez will not only direct the film but he also co-wrote the script with Rodo Sayagues which has nce been fine-tuned by Diablo Cody (Juno, Young Adult).

Source: HorrorBid Quotes: The Inder
Anonymous Saturday 2/18/2012 at 12:17 AM | 90544
"I think the humor in the first one came from the special effects of the time. I don't know that they meant it to be funny ... this one is not funny. It's definitely dark."

Levy doesn't even "get" the original Evil Dead.

I'm foreseeing a disaster milar to 2009's Friday the 13th and 2010's Nightmare On Elm Street.
legal_assassin Saturday 2/18/2012 at 12:44 AM | 90545
it was already remade

it was called the evil dead 2

we don't need another
Johnny Bisco Saturday 2/18/2012 at 08:39 AM | 90558
well unlike the elm street remake and friday the 13th remake none of who made the originals were involved...Unlike this evil dead reamke we have both campbell and rami behind the scenes.. I think this remake has the balls to be a great film and as we get film stills in the future we will realize that...
chardy Saturday 2/18/2012 at 01:46 PM | 90559
I agree with John..... Evil Dead 2 already happened. They should leave the franchise alone.
TheyCallMeGhostface Saturday 2/18/2012 at 04:28 PM | 90560